1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good haircuts in Portland

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Deaf Not Blind, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Deaf Not Blind

hey, if you know where to go to...or where NOT to go to in the Oregon/Washington area?

i don't like how many "beauticians" will do what they want to. they never listen, and i end up exactly with what i didn't want.
    i got some ideas and pix for haircuts that are cool, i don't want them feminized or butcher up!
    i just want the normal haircut i show them as best they can for my face.

if you know of places they won't try to talk me out of it and do a good job, cool...if not, i will throw darts.

2. Emberstone

Don't know if this would help, but here is a guide to lgbt friendly buisnesses in portland. they might have some options under Barbers, beauty salons, and hair stylists.

I actually am not particularly familer with portland, as I rare go there, but you might be able to find some good options through this, or other similer directories.

::: Portland's LGBTQ Community Yellow Pages

3. Deaf Not Blind

cool, not hurt to look.

since you were born male, you may not have had it so bad, but for fun lemme give you some of my hair disaster history!

my hair grew slow. I still looked like a boy until in kindergarden, as my hair was still jaw length until then. So when i was in 1st grade i got my first real hair cut, mom had just taken 2 inches off for scrapbook before. I look in a big book. I wanted feathered bangs like my prettiest blond cousin. They cut bangs short and straight across and said train your hair with barrettes. Uh, that was stupid!

in 2nd grade, Thinking i want it short, no bangs! I looked at my long hair and suddenly felt sad it was going away. i showed a picture of a really short hair cut with bangs but told her NO BANGS I look stupid in them just chop off straight at jawline, okay?
    She agreed, smiled, and CHOPED HUGE BANGS! I said WHY ya do that?? She said; Oh cuz I think they are CUTE on you! ARGGHHH!! Remmy my hair grows slow.
    Yeah, I looked ugly...but again I had on a dress for school and had a boyish face with stupid hair.

So i got a phobia of women who cut hair do it wrong and didn't cut it.
    Oh, if it got in my face, i just take out my safety scissors and whack off at my desk. Mom got mad i Ruined my hair. :confused: And she chopped off in bangs again in 5th grade! rats!

6th grade my cousin was practicing to be a beautician. she asked to use me. bad idea. she burned my scalp with stuff for perms, and i had said i wanted big ringlets like Shirley Temple (and a list of other girls i had crushes on), and instead became a poodle. :confused:

So, by high school my gramma paid to get me a 2nd perm, all the girls had Spiro perms. The woman said: i saved myself money, i made my own tubes! So i got ultra tiny curls. yuck.

I told a woman a super cuts i was willing to try bangs again as an adult in my 20s, but what kinds will look good my face shape? She took a razor and one bit was about 1/2 inch long and stood straight up, and she said to use wax to keep it look good. :confused:

i eventually just took a mirror and scissors and whacked it off myself any shape i pleased. i did better i think.

last time i tried to be more female and get my 3rd perm was last year, it didn't take. what you see in the pix is what i paid over $130 for!

Okay, Im done.
    I want a good haircut now.
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    If it sucks, at least at Gally we have bald day. I can just shave it all off and start from scratch. :/

4. Deaf Not Blind

so wish me luck, i did a search online for decent reviews, and can't find much in gay/trans pages, so cross fingers no butchering.
    i sent links to about 6 pix of sorta what i want, half men half women, and told them i want a kinda messy cute skater look for summer and university, then i sent link to a photo on fb of me recently taken...yeah boyish one with two girls with me.
    if they do it right i will post after pix here on EC.
    if not, i will ask you to mail me hats!
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Night Rain

I don't know anything about this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: so I can only wish you good luck!

6. bob94

Aww, I'm sorry you've had so many bad experiences with haircuts. I've only had one bad experience (although my hair turned out fine). About a year ago, I went to a place called Sport Clips (bad idea since I HATE sports!). So I walk in and all of the employees are women, so it can't be too bad, right? Wrong! I then realize that they're all wearing sport jerseys and all the tv's have football playing, so I'm completely out of my comfort zone.

They stylist came up to me when it was my turn and shook my hand (squeezing really hard, like she's a man). So she sat me down and started cutting my hair. She asked me which team was my favorite, and I was pretty much like "Umm...I kind of hate sports..." She was just like, "Oh, ok." And that's as far as the conversation went. At the end of my haircut, she said that I could get a free hair wash since it was my first time there, so I said yes. Bad idea.

She took me to a really small, dark room in the back and sat me in a chair. She flipped a switch, and the chair VIBRATED! She then put the steaming hot towel on my face. It actually kind of burned, and after a minute she asked me if it was too hot. Well it was a little too late by then, so I just said no. She then started massaging shampoo into my scalp for what felt like FOREVER! She asked me if I could "feel the tingling." At first I was thinking WTF, but then I realized it was supposed to be the shampoo. Although it was kinda hard to breath through the towel, I was grateful that it was there so she couldn't see me trying not to laugh. That was the most uncomfortable haircut of my life. When I was leaving, the stylist shook my hand again, and I looked around the sitting area. I realized that all of the customers were middle aged (and probably single) men. Go figure.

7. Deaf Not Blind

hahahaha! i aint never had a cut experience trauma like that! my gosh! by the way around here many straight women cheer teams they market jerseys to em and everything.

i prefer to play not watch on tv. baseball and hockey are fun team sports.

it seems rather exteem have you been in Buffalo Wld Wings? they have tvs everywhere with sports so not an english tea garden, and the women wear jerseys, but no uncomfyness there.

the handshake thing must be trying to be like an old school friendly barber, but no small talk but spirts allowed? really? hmmm...woyld feel intimidating almost. if id been with you id probly get a brilliant rebelious idea to start talking florists! ha! i dont know anything much but it maybe make the girls feel just as akward. they could have switched to how weird is the waether, or what ya gonna do this weekend, or do you plan to travel this summer, so much more! i think during a parde i saw them in our town passinv out discount coupons to only boys. guess the dont accept or want to cut girls?

its strange what businesses do get certain clients. ive seen offer of tea and another free beer. i dont drink beer i do tea but with a haircut?
    i never felt comfy in a place called " beauty parlor", dont it sound ultra feminine Vicorian like you gonna see lace doilies?
    grandad never went to one or barber. my gramma used sheers and scissored good at home! :slight_smile: im hoping this week i get it done, cuz i get nervous. please not come out with short bits sticking stright up! it hapened once!