1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight people, we need to clarify some things...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AshenAngel, Jun 20, 2012.

1. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I posted this thread because there are a lot of stupid stereotypes about the LGBTQ community. Everywhere I go, it seems there are more and more ignoramuses asking me stupid questions. To name one particular instance that irritated the shit out of me...

To me and my girlfriend:
    "So, like, which one of you is the man in the relationship? Like, don't all Lesbian couples have to have a femme and a butch?" No. Neither of us is the man in the relationship. Neither of us has a penis, [nor wants one] and we're dating because we like girls. And, no. Our relationships don't have to have anything. We're dating because we love eachother!

Stupid questions you've been asked? I want to get a bit of a rant going here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Ianthe

Female-identified butches are not men, in any case.

Just answer peoples questions and correct their false assumptions. The only way people learn is if we tell them.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I do agree that there are some ridiculous stereotypes out there. Some that I would call more like urban legends...

But be careful in assuming that all straight people are clueless about the LGBT subjects. I have some ridcs supporting friends that are straight and are either more involved or know more about LGBT history than some of my LGBT friends. Just a thought :slight_smile:

4. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I never assume that all straight people are ignorant. i agree with you. i started this thread so people could talk about questions theyve been asked by those who don't know about LGBTQ history/ involved in our community. i didn't mean to give that impression. thanks. :slight_smile:

5. Mimerio

People assume I am gay because I have a lack of an interest in sports. So does a straight friend of mine.

I am gay, I don't like sports, Stereotypes can be a pain in the neck.

6. bubblesh204

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of my friends have told me that they aren't attracted to girls so don't try anything on them.
    How many times do I have to explain to them that I'm not attracted to every freaking girl I see.
    Then this one guy came over one time and sat on my lap and I told him to get off. His response was, "Its ok. Your a lesbian. I wont try anything and I know you wont." I just pushed him off.
    I have been asked why I don't have short hair, why don't I ever wear flannel, and what the score was for the last football/ basketball was when it is pretty common knowledge that the only sport I actually pay attention to is figure skating.
    When I'm with my girlfriend people have asked me whos the girl and whos the guy in the relationship.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Some funny quotes on this subject:

And specifically on bisexuality:

8. xXPsychedelicXx

^^^ This just made my day.

9. Deaf Not Blind

10. Calico

A lot of kids at my school think that tomboys are all lesbians, and that gay guys are all super-feminine sissies. Stereotypes have officially overrun our society.

#10 Calico, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  11. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually love sports...but I get told by many, including friends and one bf, that I'm a "bad gay" for it. :bang:

12. silkfrog1292

Not all gay guys like to take it up the backside, and no, it does not mean our p*nises are dirty. STOP SAYING THAT PILES ARE "POST GAY SEX PAIN" ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

13. King

King Guest

✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔

King x

14. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The question that annoys me the most is "why do you like guys?"

Firstly, you obviously don't understand if you're asking that question, secondly, there's no answer.

15. IanGallagher

"Are you sure you're bi?" Although that comes from everyone...

16. Mad Man L

Tell me about it. I think pretty much every time I out myself to someone, I'm asked 'Are you sure you're bi?' Generally I reply with 'Are you sure you're straight?' or something along those lines.

Same with the 'Why are you bi?' questions. -.-

17. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Someone once asked me if I have ever shoved anything up my (male) broo-ha-ha.

18. Deaf Not Blind

:confused:
    Why???
    You will just outlive the rest! I hope that is an EX bf.

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2012 at 11:11 PM ----------

I was told I just need to stop being so silly and stupid, and like all women, just am confused and once I allow his dick to fuck my vagina I wil suddenly realize why I am not a boy at all, I am a wonderful female, yeaaaa!!

Boy he got pissed off when I didn't cave. And I called him gay! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Waffles

Freshman year, I was talking to my friends (all girls at the time), and a few of them were like "Dude, so many people think you and (person with same name) are gay". Back then, I didn't acknowledge my feelings. XD

Reasons people think I'm gay:
    1) I take no interest in sports... at ALL. Except for mixed martial arts, but they think I lie. XD
    2) Just about every one of my friends at school is a girl.
    3) Still waiting on my voice to change... makes me sound very femme. ( TT^TT)
    4) My ex-gf... They're like "no straight man would go out with her". XD
    5) I like to draw and follow anime n' stuff. COMMON NOW, STRAIGHT GUYS DO THIS TOO! D:<

... Hate stereotypicial ideas.

20. Level75

I was once asked if I ever wore womens' underwear. Needless to say, she is not a person I like talking to very much. Unfortunately, that person is my mother. She thinks she knows gay people when, aside from me, the only one she has any real exposure to daily is the guy working at the MAC counter at Bloomingdale's.

In general, I just don't get the whole "Gay men act like women" thing. The stereotype goes that they dress stylish, they call each other "girlfriends", they are into shopping, they know all the latest pop songs.

Yet, in my circle, I don't know of a single woman that is really like that. I know a few gay men like that, but strangely, no women. Then again, most of the women I meet are on hiking trails. Probably not the best place to be talking about Macy's.

It's the same way about the whole gay-straight acting thing. Most of the straight guys I know are actually pretty affluent (or are gamers, which of course is cool with me). I can think of 2 of them that fit that "straight acting" fantasy, and they're always posting shirtless pictures of themselves on Facebook...which is pretty damn gay.