1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100% true

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gustav, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was at my contemporary issues club just the other day ago when i heard this story. A kid's father came in to pick his son up when we were in the middle of discussing gas prices. The man, a well respected priest in the community and a family friend, told us a story about this woman he knows. he said this woman traded in her car earlier this year for another one (i can't remember what type of car(i am not good with cars)). The woman filled her new car with gas, and she was able to keep driving that car for weeks without refueling it. the woman thought there was a problem with the car, so she brought it to a mechanic. the next thing she knows, the car was taken away from her and she was given a million dollars to shut up about it. The mechanic who worked on the car (suspiciously) moved away, and the woman bought a brand new house with her million.
    This story just got me thinking how much the gas companies have a hold over us. rumor even has it that it was someone from OPEC who gave the woman the million, but I wouldn't doubt or believe that. anyways, I'm sick of having our society driven upon a nonrenewable resource like oil, and having the these gas companies and OPEC control our political, economic, and indirectly, our social well-being. what are your thoughts on this?

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Hmm well its only a matter of time ayy? It's interesting that this is in my life time :slight_smile: I wonder what will happen...

3. Hollywood

hmmm...seems a little far-fetched :\

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Yeah, I think its more of an urban myth than anything.

5. Jim1454

Urban myth...

Automobile manufacturers wouldn't 'accidently' sell some kind of prototype to a consumer, and how else would you explain the unusual gas mileage - assuming even that part of the story is true...

Not to say that there aren't some very influencial lobbyists that would like to see us remain dependant on fossil fuels... I just don't believe this particular story.

6. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Yes, well priests are usually filled with fairy-tale "100% true" tales about things.

7. Hollywood

:roflmao: nice one!

8. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Yer hes probly chattin poo.. i thoguht it was the goverments that has a hold on us.. not the gas companies :S

9. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the story may or not be true (i mean, a priest said it, so i thought it to have some validity to it), but the point i was bringing up is how much oil consumes our political, economical, and social lives.

10. sdc91

Omg Hannukah #2!!!!!!!

11. SkyTears

True but then again we have and still are delevoping ways to get around this. So if you think about it we aren't really just sitting back doing nothing. (Well I kind of am [no lie] but others are doing something.)

12. Jeimuzu

Cars are being developed to run on all sorts of things. Seawater, for example.

13. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I dunno if I really believe it... but... interesting story =P

14. silversurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    some engines can run on H2O that's right folks water a mechanism in the engine splits the hydrogen(fuel) from the oxygen(byproduct) and there you have it. But all those folks that rely on oil, gas, and other products would be out of work, can't have that.

15. Dizzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, because the fact that without fusion you are just turning H2O into hydrogen and oxygen and then back again through combustion (and hence wasting energy due to friction rather that creating it) doesn't muck this up at all...

Check the science behind your sources before you quote them! :icon_wink

Either they are just wrong, or they meant cold-fusion (as you couldn't put a 'hot' fusion reactor into a car without melting/evaporating it), and hence were talking about a theoretical concept that is barely mathematically possible, let alone ready for mass production!

The value of certain methods of energy production (such as fusion of any kind) is such that no oil company would destroy it. They would merely steal it, and become richer than the entire worth of the US of A. Because it really is worth THAT much, at least in the case of cold-fusion which would pretty much make humanity never have to worry about power again. Normal fusion isn't worth so much, but still enough to make any company that gains the rights to it one of the richest on earth overnight.

16. ohioboy

We were talking in class about car's and my teacher said that they have cars that get almost 100 miles to the gallon but the goverment won't let them sell them because the oil company's are such big "supporters'.

17. silversurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I stand corrected, I researched it once and it explained how to build this little gaget, guess I'm wrong.:bang:

18. Level N Human

Bwahaha! I don't know why this one made me laugh so much.

Anyways, I trust physicists to realize if there were a much more efficient way to use gas as energy and I trust a dork somewhere to tell us about it if they'd discovered any method of doing so.

19. Vampyrecat

The reason the Governments have such a hold on us is because gas companies can dictate and influence a lot of things. I think. I think I'm right on that one. Gas companies are fairly powerful in their own right. :dry:

20. JayC

JayC Guest

in my opinon it is true we really r WAY to dependent on gas and oil and such and that may have happened i have seen some stuff that i know noone would believe me if i told them but for now their is nothing we can do about it but to hope some of these solutions such as an air powered car or hydrogen energy and such work out