1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time between knowing and coming out...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vernox, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Vernox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm curious.
    If you're out to anyone, how long did you know you were different before you told anyone? Personally, it's been over 5 years for me. Not a single person knows. *sigh*

2. sanguine

I guess ive always known I was gay, accepted it when I was maybe 13-14, dont really remember or care, told a few people 2 years ago, told parents last year, out to everyone

3. softshock

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm the same don't worry! 5 years ago I knew and no one knows.. yet!

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always known. But I didn't start coming out until I was 20.

5. King

King Guest

I've always "known" but never put a name to it. But I came out to my mom when I was 14... So, 14ish years :wink:

King x

6. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always sensed I was different and had an affinity for guys (when I was young I thought it was just that I wanted a brother since I was an only child, lol). But, I had the epiphany I was gay when I was 13 or 14 and didn't come out until last year at the age of 24. Sometimes it takes a while to feel ready depending on your situation.

7. Deaf Not Blind

Ive known from all the things I've done most my life Im trans, and I guess I first came out at age 10! Didn't know that is what it was when I started telling my friends, I had never heard of any of this, and didn't know any transgender thing existed, just me.

But I went into closet cuz I thought I was a bad person to be thinking sexually this way and so by age 13 I was living fake life. Not until 6 months ago did I decide to question why my own nature is bad, and then 3 months ago looked up the definition of "transgender", and began the painful acceptance process.

My sexuality is another thing, it is not so black and white. Being transgender makes it hard to define what I think and feel, want and need, real and imaginary. And as I was warned that many transmen who take T even become gay men, I figure I won't define myself as straight anymore, just Queer...cuz it is honest and can cover just about anything I throw at it. :wink:

So in a way I am not yet fully knowing, but started coming out 1st time as a kid, and 2nd time in April.

8. Lewis

I've always known too, but I'm still only out to someone online and someone that I've only met once. :/

9. Deaf Not Blind

Im an only child too. You can be my brother. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 24th Jun 2012 at 08:03 AM ----------

But that still counts, TWO! High 5!

10. MathMan

i've known since I was around 12, so i've known for like 10 years. for the past 4 or 5 years i've just been in complete denial, and before that, just scared sh**less. I'm still in the process of being ok with being gay. hopefully I'll tell someone who is important to me soon.

11. Sayu

I first realized when I was 15 and a few months later I told my best friend :slight_smile:

12. jj11987

jj11987 Guest

It was from about age 11 or 12 until age 28.

13. Snyder

2 days...

14. anonymous1

2 years. I can't imagine not coming out for 10 years. I'm very lucky I have supportive friends and I know my family will be as well.

15. Stonkle

Out Status:
    Some people
    I suspected that I was gay ever since I was 5. I liked girls even at that time, but I didn't think much of it and I had no idea that that sort of thing could've been odd or looked down by others.*Into elementary school, I just started forgetting completely about liking anyone in general. I didn't really seem to find anyone attractive whatsoever for a while and I suspected that I had to keep looking for a guy I'd be remotely attracted to. Then all of a sudden, this one girl walks into my life and it all hits me back in the face. It's takes a bit of denial and few weeks for me to put the pieces together and fully accept that I'm gay. Then it only takes three of my closest friends, my brother, and this one girl to help me completely come out nine months later. (Everyone except parents at least) So surprisingly, not too much time in between.

Its funny though. I remember when I was six, I somewhat "came out" to my brother, though he just thought it was kind of funny. It took eight more years until I tried coming out again, when he finally took much more seriously.

16. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kinda known for about 2.5 years but I didn't come out first until April

17. spud

Have known for the age 13 would say but new there was something different from a younger age but only now coming to terms with it at the age of 46

Lots of reason around why I went in to total denial of my sexuality may be the fact that it was to do with the death of my Dad at the time. May be to do with the fact that my older brother was Gayer than a jay bird and I could not do that to my mum she was having a bad time with my brother, remember back then thing where very different than now.
    :***:
    So now I have said thing to total strangers that I have never spoke to people about before it a funny old world is ant it. And I’m still not out but getting there very soon I think just working the way out to do it now.

18. Fiddledeedee

Roughly 15 days. It was something of an emotional rollercoaster.

19. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Now I look back at my life. Yeah there was hints and that that I was gay but I didn't really take notice of them and neither did anyone else. It was up until about four years ago when I actually started to accept and come around to the idea.

and now

Four years later I finally got the courage and came to a few friends and my family

So yeah. It was a while

20. Nemo39122

I kinda knew since I was around 13, but didn't really acknowledge it or admit it to myself unti 15-16. The first time I came out was when I was almost 18.