1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bats?! WTF.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BudderMC, Jun 24, 2012.

1. BudderMC

I've never dealt with these mofos. I just got back to school from the weekend and apparently there was one seen flying around our basement last night? I tried to get ahold of the guy living in the basement but he's not here and not answering my text.

Pretty much I feel like I should go do some investigating but I have no idea what I'm looking for. One of our managers is coming over to look later today, but she's effectively a soccer mom and was freaking out over text more than I think was necessary... so I feel like she might not be that much help. Anyone got advice on where bats would be, what I should do if I find it, if it freaks out and starts flying everywhere, if it's viable to catch it somehow, safety precautions, etc.?

So far I've just swept the main floor and closed off any doors/rooms that I can that I've deemed "empty".

2. DPQuarter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Bats shouldn't give you an immediate problem. Don't worry if one starts flying around when you're in the room because with their echo-location, it's highly unlikely that they'll run into you. However, they do carry rabies and their poo has some pretty dangerous stuff in it, so don't just hope the problem goes away. Oh and don't try to catch them...again, rabies

#2 DPQuarter, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bats usually hide in dark small places. If the basement has a vent try looking there, or close to a heat source. The best will be where it's damp. Just use a hand towel when you try to catch it. This will prevent the little guy from biting you and you from damaging his wing or something.

If it's a fruit bat you don't have to worry about rabies, they are vegetarian. It's the blood suckers you have to be careful of. Once you've caught it, let it out at the nearest window, unless you decide to keep it, which is something I would do.

4. BudderMC

Is it wrong to assume they'll be hiding somewhere they can hang/upside down? Also, is it wrong to assume that because they're nocturnal they'll be dormant now (well, I guess 6pm is borderline evening...)?

5. bob94

I honestly have no idea what to do in that kind of situation. But a few weeks ago, I was driving and one ran into my windshield. It freaking scared the hell out of me!

6. BudderMC

Time to investigate!

(If I never come back to EC, it's because the bat must've eaten my face off in a gruesome death)

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was trying to find a Youtube video of Carly Simon's "De Bat (Fly In me Face)" which is a really funny song... but alas, it's not posted. You might look it up :slight_smile:

8. FJ Cruiser

Ha, a couple months ago, my friend left his window open at dusk and when we came back into his apartment, a bat flew right in front of our faces. You want to avoid touching it if at all possible because they do carry many diseases. We ended up catching it a corner of his room with pieces of tupperware and releasing out his window after we took it around the building to freak some girls out lol.

9. BudderMC

Searched the house in bat-hunting gear (read: a winter coat, leather gloves, and a towel) and found nothing. Rapped on a whole bunch of walls and crawlspace-like areas, no response. The manager and her husband came by and didn't see anything either.

I'm torn between being paranoid that it's hiding here or being happy because it's gone. :dry:

10. Gen

Gen

You are all better than me. I'd just be running around in circles, screaming like a b%$ch lol. I've just now master killing these common pincher bugs. (Spiders are still a challenge :frowning2:. But if I know its poisonous its over............ )

I hope it went well. Though you havent replied so I guess we should now accept that you were bitten and died slowly on the cold basement floor.....

We will miss you BudderMC <(^_^)<

---------- Post added 24th Jun 2012 at 06:29 PM ----------

^Dang the page didnt load on mine :C.

Well just disgard my last post......*Ahem*

Nice To See You're Back <(^_^)<

11. Ianthe

If you don't hear it tonight, it's probably gone.

12. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since the bat had to have some opening to come into the basement in the first place and you haven't found it afterwards, there's a good chance that it found its way back out. However, bats can squeeze into pretty narrow crevasses. If you do see it again, definitely wear thick leather gloves (it's what bat researchers use when netting them) and try to get a net, bag, or box to trap it in until you can release it outside. If it does bite you, go to the hospital immediately and get a rabies shot. :dead: While mostly active from dusk til dawn, bats can be seen flying around in the daytime if they are rabid or if they are disturbed from their roost (i.e. the dude living in the basement moving something around near where it was snoozing).

You should be careful when handling them, but there's a low chance of one attacking you unless it's rabid so not too much need to worry/freak out. They're actually pretty cool creatures!:icon_twis

13. Seraph

Ok this is interesting :grin: You don't have to worry about that bat at all, it's harmless (well, i think). Back then when I was living in a small village, I used to hang out at this guy's house and it was like a bat cave, seriously :confused: They sleep in the dark corner in the morning, and start to get out and freakin' flying around at noon, but they don't do anything to you.

I'm not sure if I should say this or not, but bat is like rat, they steal your food and stuff, so you better cover or put every fruit, food, and drink away. They don't run on the floor but flying on the top, which is a good thing (I guess) for you to be able to see it. Once you found it, open any door or window and lure it out, you know, get a stick or something and chase after it.

Good luck buddy :slight_smile:) !

14. KnightAssassin

bats are good luck :grin:

15. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I were you I won't worry to much. If you don't hear a strange high pitch sound that is very unique to the bats (when you hear it you'll know, cause there is no other that can make the same sound) then chances are that it isn't in the place.

If one does happen to be in the place, you won't really know until you hear their sound. And yes, they love to hang upside down, but if the place doesn't have a place for the little guy to hang on, it will easily get in between somewhere even close to the floor or under some equipment where it can hide.

You must remember, that they despise household sounds and especially like a business, all the sounds make it harder for it to hear it's own cry, so they won't be staying long in a noisy place.

It could also be that the sunrise caught the little guy too far from his lair, so then they will seek a temporary place for the day and be off usually that night (provided than can get back out again).

16. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most bats are insectivorous, especially those in Canada (where the OP apparently lives) where frugivorous (fruit-eating) bats are NOT present. Therefore, they're not going to steal your shit. Other bats in warmer regions of the globe feed on flower nectar, small vertebrates, and only a few species feed on blood. For those wanting to learn some basic knowledge about bats, check out the Bat Conservation International or wikipedia information pages at these links:

Intro to Bats

Bat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. BudderMC

Well, I haven't heard anyone hear anything, and I haven't seen anything, so I guess it's gone. Problem solved?

Thanks guys! At least I learned a lot. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love bats :slight_smile:

19. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw one in my house 3 years ago... I am not sure how it got in my front room but it scared me.

20. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love bats. One flew in from the ceiling when it caved in a previous flat in a small farm town. If I had a very big cage, I would have kept it, at least I held it in my hands for a few minutes and stroke it's back and head. They seem to like that, but they ain't tame though. They quickly let you know that its enough, any further will provoke a bite or a scratch, at least that one did. But I guess it was glad to get away from the two cold gass bottles standing next to each other, and the 3 cats prowling around in the flat whose food bowl happen to be on the other side of the gass bottles.

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2012 at 04:32 PM ----------

Thank you for clarifying it for the people, I was afraid to go into details about how little blood the rare blood sucking bats suck compared to a mosquito. Now there's a real life vampire if it ever was one. Hell it even make a vampire from the movies look like insignificant little peskies.