1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Stereotypical Behavior

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KiddlesP, Jun 24, 2012.

?

Your Behavior

1. I unconsciously act perfectly heteronormative for my biological gender.

15 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Everyone assumes I am straight, I seem fairly normal.

53 vote(s)
    24.7%
  3. My behavior leans towards my assigned gender role, but I have quirks.

78 vote(s)
    36.3%
  4. I am completely andogenous in my behavior for my biological gender.

13 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. My behavior leans away from my assigned gender role, but I act seem normal...ish.

28 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. Everyone assumes I am different, I seem fairly strange.

22 vote(s)
    10.2%
  7. I unconsciously act in completely different roles in comparison to my biological gender.

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. KiddlesP

Do you (specifically you without knowing who you are) display behaviors that in your opinion are indicative of your (or lack of) sexuality? What things do you notice or have other people (more than one) noticed and said to you? Overall how stereotypical do you find yourself in your perception of others general belief structures of "you" (I unconsciously blend into heterosexual society perfectly and not one person seems to have the slightest clue that I might not belong there; to the spectrum of: the first thing every person has every said to me is "Are you _____?)?

(I tried to be as precise as possible but in my opinion found the wording to be very complicated and awkward for others to understand so butchered and simplified it)

2. bob94

My actions are normal, but my likes/interest are another thing. For example, I love gay/girly music (Lady Gaga!!).

3. KiddlesP

Actions are only one side of the crystal as you know, that's why I said the more encompassing 'behaviors" which include more than the physical, like the mental or emotional.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My behaviors are pretty normal, so everyone just assumes that I'm straight.

5. KiddlesP

What about any specific behaviors anyone?

6. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

same here,but my clothing of 50/50 can sometimes give clues

7. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

People do not assume I am different, they become aware that I am different (and I'm talking generally, not sexuality wise) because I am, myself, strange. I haven't the slightest idea if I act accordingly to my assigned gender role or if people think I do or not. They're too pre-occupied with how overall strange I am to consider my sexual orientation. Some people suspect I am a lesbian, others haven't the slightest clue. I don't think my behavior sways them in any direction.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

That pretty much describes how I am (emphasis is my own). From the time when I first came out to a friend to the modern day, everyone I've told has been surprised. I'll admit I do act pretty strangely, but for whatever reason, that strangeness never translates into giving away my sexuality.

9. Brenny

Behaviors? Hmmm.

-Trying on every outfit I have to find just one thing to wear.
    -Compulsively fixing my hair. Include blow drying. I spend a good 10 minutes or so every morning and touch-ups all day. I'd like to dye it blond at some point.
    -I do this thing where if I am standing for long periods of time I unconsciously lift a leg slightly or stand flat on one and my other will be on the toes. It's less weird then it sounds...
    -Cross my legs.
    -I like to tan when I can.
    -And freak about my skin.
    -I sometimes do that "limp wrist" thing.
    -When I eat, one hand is on the fork and the other arm is up with the elbow on the table and a limp hand... I have seen a few gay guys do this so I assume it can be a gay thing.
    -I tend to notice girls outfits, hair and makeup and tell them it is cute.
    -Occasionally help my sis pick out outfits. Or I like to suggest she does her hair a certain way just because it is cute and I enjoy seeing it.
    -I listen to a lot of female musicians. And I do enjoy Top 40 pop.
    -I'm the guy girls say "understands" or is "easy to talk to."
    -I worry about getting fat as much as a girl.
    -I like tight clothes. And warm/bright colors.
    -Like shopping.
    -Enjoy shows like Gossip Girl, Fashion Police, Kardashians, HGTV.
    -Like cooking and cleaning as opposed to working on cars or something.
    -You'd probably catch me eating a salad versus the "manly" steak & potatoes, ribs, burger, wings, etc.
    -Tend to seek out girls for friends.
    -Never use words like "bro."
    -I would rather give hugs over handshakes.
    -Sports = whatever.

Maybe this isn't all "gay" behavior but it is stuff I have thought about and and categorized as such. Reading this I sound much more femme then I see myself as. Don't get me wrong, this is NOT very descriptive of how I am as a whole. It is just things I key out as not being traditionally straight behavior in myself. This info makes me out to be some shallow, feminine guy which is just one part of me.

#9 Brenny, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea whatsoever. I just act like me. "Normal" or otherwise.

11. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Define "assigned gender role." I assume mine would be heterosexual male?
    Ish. I guess I act like a geeky boy most of the time, though I frequently stray into girlygirl territory (as in squealing with bunny-inspired glee).

Think of a typical otaku girl, and that's pretty much me. But I don't spend a whole lot of time with personal social interactions (mostly semiprofessional) so I doubt anyone notices except at home.

12. Ianthe

I don't like the term "normal."

People think I'm straight. They are wrong.

Since I can only get people to think I *might* be a lesbian by purposely doing things to give them that idea, I went with the first option.

13. vyvance

Can't really think of any behavior quirks I have that would be considered stereotypical.

14. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

So far everyone I've come out to has been surprised that I'm not straight, but generally my behaviors and interests aren't all that typical for my gender. People assume (correctly) that this is just my personality, though I did have one person say she thought I had Asperger's.

15. I guess it depends on how I'm being perceived. If people perceive me as a girl, they probably think I'm a somewhat butch lesbian, but if I'm passing as a guy, they most likely see a slightly feminine gay boy, neither of which are true. I consider myself a fairly androgynous, pansexual man.

16. KiddlesP

True, the words "normal" and "assigned gender role" are a bit awkward, sorry. I mean normal and gender role as in: see someone who looks female (whether she/he was born female) and assume she/he wears dresses on occasion or is less assertive
    (stereotypical attributes), and in comparison if you, as the female, actually do those things, or 'walk with your hips' or 'likes to gossip'. My apologies for stepping on anyones toes with my choice of words.

17. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Overall I think I generally fit with my heteronormative gender role and before coming out most people had no reason to think I wasn't straight. After I came out, a few friends told me they thought I was gay because I hadn't dated girls, but otherwise they had no obvious stereotypical behaviors to really go on. As far as stereotypical vs. non-stereotypical traits, here are a few of mine:

Stereotypical: loves rock music :music:and hates pop & techno music (but also hates country and rap), doesn't mind wearing dirty/ripped up clothes, fairly deep voice and no lisp, doesn't mind physical labor outdoors too much, eats meat (in the non-gay sense:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), hates shopping, enjoys violent TV shows/movies and hates shallow reality TV shows, occasionally has aggressive verbal outbursts and/or hitting inanimate objects, drinks beer, not freaked out by snakes or bats

Non-stereotypical: doesn't like sports, has made arts & crafts as xmas gifts, likes fruity drinks (margaritas, wine coolers, fruity beers), likes acting, if spiders or other creepy invertebrates are on or near me I freak the fuck out, sometimes I do stress over what to wear, will engage in manscaping from time to time (I think of it in forest management terms like clearcutting or selective thinning), frequently applies chapstick and hand lotion, enjoys cooking/baking, don't really care about the way I cross my legs or pose my body

In the words of Sawyer on LOST, "I'm a complex guy, sweetheart".

#17 PerfectInsanity, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a tendency to act more male without really thinking about it. (I am a female by birth). I like a ton of sports, I am an electronic media sports production major and I dress mostly male. So, I marked the last option mainly because I don't think about it much.

19. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I act completely normal, the only thing gay about me is the fact that I like guys. I guess the only thing that might give me away is that I am not a sports fan.

20. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I act female or maybe a bit gay around people most of the time to reduce their impression of me being overly serious. The real me is really very male. That's why people can only be in doubt of whatever I really am.