1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting there...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jo A, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Jo A

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

Getting medical treatment for gender dysphoria on the NHS in the UK it somewhat notorious for taking ages; but it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is on at last.

I first started doing something back in 1998, after my last and biggest "gender crash" - starting with getting 'net access and doing a lot of research.

Started hormones and anti-androgens in 2000 and legally changed my name - which involved disappearing under a raft of paperwork sorting that out with all the various official bodies and organisations.

I was going the private route; and got a referral from my psychiatrist for surgery in 2001; but lost my job in 2002 (for reasons unconnected with being TS) and I'm still out of work.

In 2003, after trying unsuccesfully to get a direct referral for surgery with the NHS I was referred to the Gender Clinic in Leeds.

In 2004 I got a referral through my endocrinologist for laser facial hair removal.

In February this year; I finally got the first appointment with the Gender Clinic; I was told "six appointments and we'll refer you for surgery" - but they're offering me appointments at a fairly rapid rate; I'm now just two appointments away from a referral for surgery. At last! :icon_bigg

And, just to round it off, after "only" two years I've finally got to the top of the waiting list for laser facial hair removal; I start treatment in the next fortnight! :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

All the best, a somewhat more positive Jo :icon_bigg

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hi Jo,

I'm really please to hear this is all coming together for you at last.

(*hug*)

3. Jo A

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Paul,

Thanks (*hug*) It's been very... :bang: at times... but it's worth what I've been through :icon_bigg

(...and still there are some people out there who think this is a choice... :icon_roll )

The prospect of 4-5 hours of complex surgery is scary, but it needs to be done. I just see it as correcting a birth defect - anyone with a correctable birth defect would probably want it correcting, wouldn't they?

Anyway, I'll look good without embarassing bulges in tight leather jeans afterwards; got to be worth it for that :icon_bigg

Jo

4. imad

That's nearly ten years that you've covered here... I can't imagine what you must have gone through to gest as far as you have now. It probably takes a lot of willpower to deal with not being comfortable with your body, and then when that mental exercise is over you have to spend years struggling with trying to get people to help you resolve that problem...

I'm happy that you've made it this far, and I hope everything (including surgery) runs smoothly for you. :thumbsup:

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Very very happy for you. While i believe this might not be the only life, there's certainly no point in letting one pass you by while you remain unhappy. My best wishes that this will give you a better life for you.