1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Innocent Honesty.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martee, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Martee

Martee Guest

This week I am volunteering at my church's Neighbourhood Bible Time. It's going well and the kids are having a lot of fun. Today I was reminded of how honest children are and that they will simply ask whatever is on their minds. They are inquisitive creatures. So this little 5 year old approaches me mid-game (kickball) and asks, "Are you a boy or a girl?"
    I told him, "girl" and he went back to playing the game. He had a question and when he got the answer that was that. It wasn't like some adults who have it in their minds on what males and females should look/act like and will let you know if they think you're not conforming to your assigned gender-role. Made me smile :slight_smile:

2. jj11987

jj11987 Guest

I feel good knowing there is another here maybe from a similar background as me. Thank you for posting this.

3. Martee

Martee Guest

You are another "gender non-conformist" I take it?

4. FJ Cruiser

Just curious, would you be offended if an adult asked you in a similar manner, or if they actually got your gender wrong?

5. Martee

Martee Guest

If I understand your question properly this is my response:
    I suppose neither. I would take offense only when an adult chose to cut me down for how I look or for my mannerisms. They can ask to sate their curiosity if they like, but if they choose to make fun of me or someone else then they are just being hateful and judgemental of anothers personality. If asked that question by an adult, I don't think I would take offense persay, but I have not been asked that before. I have, however, sensed that question in their eyes, you know what I'm talking about? When they kind of look at you inquisitively...

Leading to your other question - I have been mistaken for the wrong gender before (called sir or young man) and it doesn't really bother me...I just smile and carry on because it's usually an elderly person who isn't really looking directly at me or someone calling out from behind me. Because let's face it...sometimes you just can't tell if someone is male or female.

Did that answer your question?

6. FJ Cruiser

That answered it perfectly. Thanks!

7. Martee

Martee Guest

Could I ask the reasoning behind your question? Just curious :wink:

8. FJ Cruiser

9. Martee

Martee Guest

I see...I'll read that thread. tnx

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2012 at 06:14 PM ----------

Glad I could answer your questions :slight_smile:

10. jj11987

jj11987 Guest

Oh no, I'm a really guy, guy. I meant about the church and Bible time.

11. Martee

Martee Guest

oh haha. I too have fond memories of Bible time as a kid and this is my first year helping out as the "Game Director." It's pretty fun so far...but yes, I'm in church and know that Jesus came to die for my sins to give me the victory over sin for which he was crucified. So yeah, I'm Christian and not ashamed to tell you or anyone :slight_smile:

#11 Martee, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
  12. jj11987

jj11987 Guest

Awesome. :icon_bigg

13. Emberstone

Children have a greater sense of what is good and evil than adults do because children have not grown to that thorny period where they become cynical of the world. Doesn't mean they always do the right thing, but they understand it better.

14. Martee

Martee Guest

It is true. I know I have become cynical. Call it product of happenstance, but it just soomething that happens to everyone eventually.