1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My one problem with the pride rainbow

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Neutrality, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Neutrality

It reminds me of LJN....and they made soooooo many horrible video games that wasted my time and money as a kid. :_:

2. PillsHere

I Hate Rainbows - YouTube

My problem with it is that I've always hated Rainbow-oriented things. Not rainbows persay, just objects with rainbow colors. The world may never know why I dislike them.

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I just find the color scheme asthetically unpleasing. I'd prefer a real rainbow, how the colors blend together as opposed to immediately jumping from one to the next.

But according to Wikipedia (I think), that would have been too difficult to make into a flag without a lot of money. So they chose this.

4. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love rainbows and the pride flag. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

5. Deaf Not Blind

i loved rainbows until the gays stole it!
    so I'm taking it back!
    oops...i think i may have fallen in the rainbow and some got on me.
    *brush brush*
    nope, won't come off!
    oh well, I'm transgender.
    hey, I can like rainbows again!
    well, that worked out well.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^that was funny :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And what's LJN? Little Jack Ninja? I don't recall there being a game called that :S

7. brocub

My problem with it is that I'm working all week so I can't go into Toronto to celebrate.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh hun, least you could go if you didn't work. I just found out Via Rail has a 75% off sale for Canada Day and I could go to Toronto and back to Windsor for only $56 bucks total (normally around $90+). But oh right, my mother loathes the gay pride parade and would never allow me to go, and being that I live with her, despite being 24, she'd barricade the door...

9. Ianthe

I think as I've become more comfortable with my sexuality, the increasingly positive feelings I have about the community have become associated with the rainbows. I didn't really like it at first (I OD'd on Rainbow Brite as a child), but now they make me happy--like, when I see them, it triggers feelings of joy and belonging.

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2012 at 12:14 AM ----------

It would be extremely expensive. Seven colors is already expensive; the intermediate gradations would be exorbitant.

10. Neutrality

LJN was the name of a video game publishing company that made a lot of very very bad games for the Nintendo Entertainment System, in particular a lot of games based on movies.

Here is a link to their Wiki
    LJN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their logo is a rainbow coming out of a cloud and seeing that on a game was almost a promise that it would be bad way back then.

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

This!

I used to hate the damn thing when I first started coming out. I wasn't comfortable with it and I just didn't like it. But then it just sort of grows on you. When you see it it just means so much more than just ugly color or people being flamboyant.

12. Deaf Not Blind

Happily entertaining gay men and straight women since 2012!

---------- Post added 29th Jun 2012 at 01:47 AM ----------

Which is why he wears the plastic rainbow leis to work everyday at Earnst & Young...(they say nothing cuz he seems so happy now.)

13. Emberstone

maybe your mother is not fat enough to sit on a rainbow, and have skittles pop out.

14. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can deal with rainbows aesthetically. On the other hand, the bisexual pink, purple, and blue is so garishly awful that I'm glad I don't see it used very often.

15. Mad Man L

I personally prefer the colours of the bi pride flag. If orange was the colour which represented homosexuality, it'd be better though, orange is my favourite colour.

I find the rainbow flag is too 'in your face' as such.

16. Emberblaze

I love seeing rainbows, but I think the flag just furthers the stereotype that all gays are flamboyant, oh my GOOOD here they come floatin around, makin alota noise kinda gays.

Heh, no offense to anyone! ^^

But I love rainbows, but the pride flag DOES look kinda gaudy. They shoulda had the colors blend better

17. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Like I said (granted, I was paraphrasing Wikipedia), that would have been too expensive. These days, perhaps it could be done cheaply, but the current flag is so recognisable, they're not going to change it.

I do think that blending colors could better represent the more fluid, not-so-easily-categorized nature of human sexuality- though the colors don't represent different orientations, but rather different qualities (That is, hot pink: sexuality, red: life, orange: healing, yellow: sunlight, green: nature, turquoise: magic/art, indigo/blue:serenity/harmony, violet: spirit).

18. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

didn't Apple Inc. have a rainbow apple logo. it originated from the bitten apple with cyanide from Alan Turing when he committed suicide because he was homosexual.
    When Steve Jobs returned to Apple, the logo was reinvented as single logo colors and then stayed white. I learned this when I took a graphic design class.

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2012 at 06:41 PM ----------

As a retrogamer, I know what your talking about since I had the bttf nes game made by ljn. most 80s video game and computer companies had rainbow logos to represent video displays having more than 4 bits of color (grey) to their machines mostly 8 bit 256 colors. I never saw companies having much rainbow colors during the Genesis era (my favorite console).

19. starfish

When the Apple II came out most microcomputers did not have color capability. Hense the the 6 colors on the apple logo. By the late 90's color on microcomputers was no big deal so no real reason to keep the old logo when trying to show how the company was changing.

As for the bite from the apple refering to Alan Turing. . Here is Steve Job's response when ask if it was true. "God we wish it were. It's just a coincidence"

20. darlig ulv

Alan Turing did so much for the world of cryptography and computing, really tragic, ):