1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumping to conclusions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ryanninjasheep, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ryanninjasheep

Today I walked past a restaurant
    I saw two women eating toggether and I thought "theyre just friends"
    The table next to theirs had two guys and I thought "aww what a cute couple"

Does anyone have a idea ow why that happened or any experiences concerning the matter?

2. Deaf Not Blind

you are not a lesbian so you don't think of women as being together as a couple. also, their body language or ages, what you may have subconsciously seen was two friends by their actions in the window.
    the men may have acted a bit more loving in gazes and body language.

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Were the two women acting differently than the two men?

4. ryanninjasheep

Not that I could tell...

I just glamced, noticed what I thought and decided to post on EC about it

5. ryanninjasheep

6. I would say that maybe the men were acting differently, and although you can't pinpoint how, you picked up on something subconsciously. Alternatively, it could be that perhaps you're more used to seeing females hang out one-on-one, whereas men tend to form groups, or frequent places like a sports game, the pub, etc. together.

7. Gen

Gen

^This

Statistically speaking men are MUCH less common to eat at a restaurant one on one than women. Not the eating, but a resturant. Male friends are much more likely to go get fast food together, while women are likely to eat more healthy foods(salads, soups) in the presense of there "girl friends". Thus the restarant.

So not your not jumping to conclusions. Although you may not of been thinking of all of this at that moment, logically your assumption was...................logical lol. :slight_smile:

8. BudderMC

I'm gonna go a different route. Attention bias.

Since you're gay, and presumably still working to some extent to see how you fit in the world (even subconsciously), you're looking to see how "normal" gay couples can be. So when you notice two guys together, you automatically think that they're gay because you're looking for gay couples. On the other hands, you could care less about lesbians, so when you see two girls you think nothing of it.

9. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. You're probably subconciously wondering how gay couples act normally and most likely just noticing that two guys are together and thinking "Oh, they're gay," because a gay couple somehow means something to you. Also because you're not a woman nor a lesbian, so you don't really care as much about lesbian couples.