1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay with straight male best friend?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Night Rain, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Night Rain

Is it possible? OK I know it is, but it doesn't seem very common, and the fact that the straight males actually fear of being it on doesn't help.
    I think I know a lesbian with female best friend, but never heard of the opposite.
    So what's your opinion? Can that kind of relationship exist and last?

2. Brenny

I've heard of a bunch of these types of friendships on EC! One of my gay coworkers had a bunch of straight guy friends too. And he wasn't exactly the manliest of gays.

I however would be a typical example of how one can ruin their relationship with their straight best friend...

3. King

King Guest

I personally don't know of any, but I've read many stories on EC about them. I've only ever really been friends with girls, so I wouldn't know...

King x

4. Night Rain

Yeah me too. I only get along with girls. That's why I want to know. :grin:

5. Just Passing

It's definitely possible, the majority of my friends are male and straight. It seems a bit strange that some of you might think it doesn't happen, because it does, the same goes for lesbians who have straight female friends.

I don't want to say they're my best friends though, because I like to consider everyone I get on with as my best friend, whether it's a man or a woman. :slight_smile:

6. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My two closest friends are male and straight. Of course they grew up with me so we were friends before they knew I was gay.

Though quite a few of my partner's best friends are straight guys, and they became friends after he came out as gay. There are a lot of people out there who are unphased by sexuality and so straight-gay friendships do happen.

7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :smilewave

The vast majority of my mates are male and straight. :slight_smile:

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it seems to be working out pretty well for me. While I do have female friends, most of my friends are male, and all of those but one are straight. I was in the closet for most of the time we've known each other, but coming out didn't make things awkward or more difficult. There was a short period of adjusting to the idea, but I'd say the friendship in the end only got stronger because of it.

In fact, I'd even go so far as to say I find it harder to get along with women than with men. I just "get" men much more easily than women. With most women I seem to be constantly running out of things to say. (Some few exceptions aside. But they're just very special women :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

But I guess that in the end, who you easily become friends is a bit like sexuality: impossible to control. The best you can do is trying to meet as many people, and enjoy friendships if and when you click with some of them!

9. Well I'm not gay, but I'm pansexual, and one of my best friends is a straight male (the other being a straight female). He has no problem with me liking men, and would probably stick up for me if someone was making fun of me for it. He also doesn't mind that I'm a fairly feminine transman. Besides supposedly growing up in a diverse environment, I feel that his involvement in the BDSM scene makes him a bit more open-minded than the average straight guy. Like the queer community, people that are into BDSM are discriminated against, and I just think that gives us a common bond, if that makes sense.

10. vyvance

All my friend's are straight and male, except one straight female.

11. Night Rain

That's great. I wish I had one as sensible as yours. :eusa_clap I'm neither turned on nor off by BDSM. (!)
    Of course people have straight male friends. What I ask is if you have a REALLY CLOSE straight male friend. My (normal) straight male friends don't seem to be homophobic but they are not exactly pro-gay either. But I don't have a male best friend to begin with.:lol:

12. vyvance

My best friend is both male and straight. He has zero problem with it.

13. sguyc

Yep. All my best friends are straight males, but thats what happens when you have a nerdy childhood.

#13 sguyc, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  14. timo

My best friend is male and straight. Well, as far as I know, I do have my suspicions about his sexuality but that's another subject.

15. Night Rain

I have a nerdy childhood, and that resulted in me having no friends at all.:tears:

16. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I think it's possible. My gay male friend is best friends with straight men. In fact, I think most of his friends are straight males. He is completely out of the closet and the straight guys are very accepting. His best straight male friend checks out potential guys for my gay friend and asks him about his dating life. The other straight guys treat my gay friend normally and they are very close. They'll sit around in a hot-tub with their legs all over each other (because the hot-tub is small) without feeling awkward because they're that accepting of him. They go to gay clubs, Pride, and drag shows. One of the straight guys performed in a drag show in a mini-skirt.

There are good straight guys out there and it's possible to have a straight male best friend.

17. Night Rain

That's sweet!
    But also a little weird. I mean, going to gay clubs together, sit around in a hot-tub with legs all over each other? :eek:

18. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol well yeah it seems weird but they are very comfortable around each other. I don't mean their legs are in certain places, just that they don't mind sitting right next to each other. They go to gay clubs in groups and I usually go with them. I'm the only girl of the group. But overall, the straight guys are really cool with gay people and they are also very much straight.

19. Night Rain

There are no gay bar/club in my country so I'm not familiar with them, but doesn't what your friends do defeat the purpose of the club in the first place? I mean, they go there to meet gay people!:eek:

20. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are quite a few straight people (especially straight women) who go to gay clubs here. Gay clubs are open for persons of any sexual orientation but I see what you mean. My straight male friends are just trying to be supportive and good friends. They aren't looking for a girlfriend at the clubs and they don't flirt with the gay guys. They're there to dance with us and have fun. I was just trying to say that there can be accepting straight guys out there that will be glad to have you as a best friend.