1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpected passed for marriage ceremony

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jj11987, Jun 28, 2012.

1. jj11987

jj11987 Guest

Nothing says fun like an outdoor wedding on a 105ºF day, but I'm so glad I went! It cheered me up a little. Weddings usually have the opposite affect on me. The reason is the the preacher used a passage I'd never heard before used in a marriage ceremony. He was a Methodist preacher and it was an elderly couple [of opposite sexes] marrying. I expected the usual Biblical references to married couples. Instead he used an example of best friends who were committed to caring for one another. I videoed it and have taken down this part word for word. It's so beautiful!

"The unity sand [two different colors of sand they each poured into one jar] symbolizes that ____ and ____ are joined together as one flesh. They have become one and are intended to be together as if the other were a part of their own flesh. The love that is characterized by this unity is best described by the words of Ruth to Naomi in the old testament, 'Do not press me to leave you or to turn back from following you. Where you go, I will go. Where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people and your God, my God. And where you die, I will die and there I will be buried.'"