1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wait What?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Thandrami, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Thandrami

So I was talking to my dad while he was cooking dinner and he asked if there was any cute coworkers at my new job. I said no (very uncomfortable with talking about guys with really anyone unless its over the internet lol). He then said that he met his first girlfriend at his first job.

Now he knows im gay ive told him and he said he didn't have a problem with it. But the way he said he met his first girlfriend at his first job, to me implied that he thinks I am going to get a girlfriend.

Do you think he was just trying to say that I could possibly get into a relationship while working where I work or do you think he thinks I am still straight? I really hope its not the second one.... :dry:

2. Shevanel

I highly doubt he's hoping you get a girlfriend. He's just sharing with you that he met his first girlfriend at his first job, and maybe you might get to have a relationship experience through your job too. Don't overthink it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If he used the term co-workers I'd say he's definitely including guys in his question. He may be more comfortable saying it that way than "so any hot guys at work?". Heck, he may even say it out of respect for your "uncomfortabledness" talking about guys, but showing he cares.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Well he couldn't have truthfully said he found his first boyfriend at work, could he? :slight_smile:

Without knowing your dad, it's hard to make a determination as to his motivation for what he said beyond just a guess. There's his tone in saying it, as well his past history of talking about your orientation. But based just on what you wrote, I would guess that he was just saying you might possibly get into a relationship while working. His use of the gender-neutral "cute coworkers" (assuming that is what he said) instead of something like "cute girls" tells me that he knows it probably won't be a girl you end up in a relationship with, but might not be sure how to sensitively bring up your proclivity for men.

5. MathMan

Yeah, I think too you are just over thinking it. He sounds super supportive to me from what you posted!

6. iBlakexo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I kind of have a similar problem, i have come out to my Dad and he fully supports me (though we never really discuss anything LGBT related in conversation) but he always talks about 'hot' girls in front of me and stuff like that, almost like he is forgetting that I'm gay.. :/

7. Ianthe

I think he was being very supportive, actually. It just feels weird to you because you aren't used to talking about that stuff with him. But he didn't say anything about you being with a girl, and I'd be willing to bet that he was trying to deliberately show support by asking you if you're interested in anyone. He's showing you that it's okay with him for you to talk about that stuff with him, and he's interested in hearing about guys you like and things like that. It's not like he forgot you're gay or something.

So, I think he was being actively supportive, rather than just neutral. It was just a little awkward because neither of you is used to it.

8. Thandrami

I hate when that happens, I feel so alone in my house.

As for the main topic of the post I was just wondering but thanks for all the answers :grin:

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea, I think he was just giving his example and for him it was a girl. So are there any cute guys at work? :icon_wink

10. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My dad makes just the same kind of comments and talks about good looking girls.

He knows im gay,so i just say"well we both know that wont be happening" and i just get a grin from him and we return to normal conversation.

I dont think these type of comments are said with any malice,my homophobic dad accepted me from day one,just simply said it was up to me, so i dont see why these comments would be made with anything hurtfull in mind.

11. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like her was just wondering if there may be anyone at work you may be interested in.

12. Thandrami

Lol nope. Good thing I guess because this is my first job and I don't wanna risk having issues there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Tim

Tim

My mom does this too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I just assume it's her natural instinct to say that, and she'll often correct herself in future conversations.

Just chalk it up to good ol' fashioned parental instincts. Though in your case, it does seem like he was just trying to give you an example.