1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood Donors

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by otc877, Jan 16, 2008.

1. otc877

otc877 Guest

Anybody else somewhat offended by the questiosn they ask you prior to donating?

The questionnaire implies that any type of male-male sex WILL result in AIDS 100% of the time.

2. SkyTears

I jut shrug it off because i've never had sex and i love to donate but yeah when i do think about it, it is kind of annoying:confused:

3. KatoKumi

I think if your test runs negative, and you have proof, you should be allowed to donate blood.

It's okay though :/
    I don't like needles anyway.

4. Hollywood

same here.

5. chrisb

Honestly it doesnt bug me because i don't like needles and would only give blood to some i knew personally who was dying...

6. Vampyrecat

Well I'm female, but I'm not allowed to give blood anyway. I've got a vitamin deficiency. I'm not allowed to donate until my Vitamin D levels are back up.

But I think they're just covering all bases, just in case someone does have HIV or AIDS and doesn't know it.

7. sexyalex

I have blood type O...universal donner. and i have given blood once. however its a fat lie that same sex can result in AIDs. everyone knows u need HIV to get AIDS :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Connor

Connor Guest

It is forbidden for sexually active gay men to give blood in a few countries (including the UK), which makes me sad. It's disgustingly discriminative, backwards and unnecessary.

#8 Connor, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  9. panda

I might be slightly wrong??? but I read that the group that has the fastest growing percentage of HIV are single hetero young woman.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I give blood on a regular basis. One time I had a great conversation with an employee from the Red Cross. He was asking me about my family. I told him my son was a massage therapist and he said "oh what a great way to get girls!". I felt totally comfortable with this guy. He's probably in his late 20's, early 30's. Anyway, I said "nah, he's gay". He laughed and said "Ok, good way to get guys!" Then he asked me about how I felt when he came out. He said he has gay and lesbian friends. Then he asked me how I felt about the Red Cross and their policies about gay men not donating. I told him that I had taken my son in to donate not knowing of this rule. I was really embarrassed and saddened for my son when he was refused. We both agreed that gay men were probably more safer with sex than the average heterosexual. We both agreed that both heterosexual and homosexual people have anal sex. They sure aren't asking straight people if they have anal sex! He agreed that the wording should be changed at the very least and he hoped someday in the near future, gay men will be allowed to donate.

11. chrisb

That's a nice story Becky and i agree with the guy the wording should be changed if the rule stays