1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your voice matches the stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Jul 2, 2012.

1. GingerGuy

As you all probably know, we are also stereotypes by our voices, and not only by our appearance. Due to the cultural assumption that LGBT people think, act and are exactly like the opposite sex, gay men and women are expected to have certain voice types.

Gay men supposedly always talk with lisps, and even if they don't, their voices are still very high for a guy. This is why any boy with a high pictched voice in high school will be teased about it, even if he's 100% straight. I don't talk with a lisp myself, I try to make my voice sound normal and if I eventually let out a high pictedh squeal, I can assure you I did not consciously do it. However, my voice actually has the "gay man vibes", even though I really dislike them. I recorded myself a couple of times and could see that I have pitch flunctuations, though not as extreme. Hopefully, after I become and adult my voice will become different and lose this quality. Its not actually high pitched to begin with, since I sing as a baritone in my school choir.

Lesbians, on the other hand, supposedly have a deep, almost masculine voice. I don't know any pure lesbians but I do know many bissexual girls. Out of them, only one has a voice I would actually call deep. Not like a guy, of course, but she can easily sound like an old lady on cigarettes if she makes the effort. Sadly, this stereotype seems very alive in my counrty, since we have many lesbian singers who are socially acce[ted for it, but most of them have very deep voices. In one case, (she's a brazilian singer named Ana Carolina) I thought she was a man before seeing how she looked like. I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but thankfully, when it comes to the world of music, women with deep voices can be both lesbian (4-5 brazilian singers I listen to) and straight (adele, lauren bacall, cher). Which is a good thing, because I really like the way contraltos (deep feminine voices) sound. And there's also a lesbian singer I like who has a soprano voice, so we cant really say this stereotype is true.

So, does your voice fit these "patterns"? Do you like or hate the way it sounds? If any of you wants to, I can give links of the above-mentioned singers performing so that you can hear what they sound like.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My voice is pretty average in pitch, and not at all rough or masculine, I don't think. (I was once told "I want to take your voice to dinner and then bed it". xD)

3. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Im so soft spoken so i dunno

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Not even close. I hear my voice as having a medium pitch, so whenever I hear a recording of it, I'm always amazed at how high it is. Oddly enough, however, I'm more comfortable singing lower notes, but it's still much more in the typically female range than male.

5. Night Rain

My voice is pretty low. It's not warm but gayish. :frowning2: I'd rather it were either high (so I can sing all those pop songs) or seductively warm and low (like Batman!).

#5 Night Rain, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  6. secretguyX

My most natural voice is kind of in between, it's not really the typical "high pitched" female voice, but it isn't very masculine either. I can easily talk in a higher voice though, and sometimes I unpurposely do, because it's natural as well.

7. EllieSong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My voice is not really typical female voice and when we sang (could be stupid example), I couldn't sing the notes that all the other girls could...but it's not masculine voice actually :slight_smile:

8. starships

My voice is semi deep but I do have that sort of stereo type voice in me.

9. DanA

Hmmmm, well, here's my voice (with some computer noise :/ ):

####### | Voice message

Lol, do I sound gay? Ugh, I hate hearing my own recorded voice, though. It's so weird :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Record your own, I'm interested to hear what people sound like: ####### | Online voice recorder

You might have to adjust the mic settings, the default volume on the website is a little loud but you can adjust it after the recording and then just record again. Click on the "click here to share" hyperlink under the player to get the link.

#9 DanA, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  10. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

sometimes I think my voice is pretty low but i tend to speak higher when i'm around people i don't know, i've always been like that

11. julia

I think my voice is a little on the deep side but it tends to be higher when I'm being polite, like at work, haha.

12. I've recorded mine on that record-y thing that DanA (no, you have a pretty normal voice XD) posted and I guess I have a pretty average voice.
    Excuse my horrid Birmingham accent...
    ####### | Voice message
    I think your voice sounds different to you, somehow, when your hearing your own voice. I don't know why :slight_smile:
    This is actually kind of interesting, haha!

13. Pilgrim is hot

Yeah hearing your own voice is weird, I wouldn't say you sound "gay" you have a slight inflection but not really noticeable.

Oh and mine is quite deep, very occasionally it goes a tad camp, people tell me I have a perfect telephone voice as it is deep and slow so pretty much everyone understands me.

14. brocub

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

This is actually a very complex topic because its not as easy as having a "gay voice" or not.

In actuality, there are a lot of men that don't have the stereotypical "man voice" that society expects from us. Some men are very soft spoken, regardless of sexuality. What usually ends up happening though, is that a lot of people force their children to re learn how to walk and talk in order to fin into their respecting gender roles. In the other hand, out and about gay men allow themselves to talk and walk however the feel like....leaving the impression of a "gay voice"

I myself have a very "gay walk" if you will, but I have had that walk since I was very little. I was actually put in classes to make it "less gay" and I was taught to count 2 seconds before I took a step in order to "walk like a man". And as ridcs as that sounds, a lot of people go through that process in a less forward way. Kids learn to walk different to avoid being bullied, change their voices and change what they like. Its a tragedy really.

I personally think I have a "gay voice" because well I have a weird voice haha but it also gets really bad when I get excited and start talking fast. Specially since I also have an accent so you can barely understand me.

And the recording stuff sounds cool. My mic sucks, but here ya go :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

####### | Voice message

16. DanA

You know what else, though, that might seal it for some of ya'll... I talk with my hands a lot! Who else talks with their hands?

I mean, I make gestures, if I'm telling a story about somebody walking I'll involuntarily move my index and middle fingers like a little walking person, I point, I roll wrists, I clap, I snap, I drum, I chop, I'm very very animated with my hands... even in my recording you can kinda hear my hands hitting my thigh because even when I'm alone in my apartment, I'm still using my hands :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Who else is a big hand talker?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and TheEdend, on a scale of Clint Eastwood (being the least "gay") to Paul Lynde (being the most "gay") you're right around a Nathan Lane :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

See? Isn't stereotyping fun!..... ooo, ow... I think I just died a little inside

17. Night Rain

You sound very normal! Your voice is really deep.
    (Is "normal" offensive to anyone here? I don't know how to put it but you know what I mean. Right?)

It could be that I'm not into girl, but I didn't pick up anything strange. I like your accent by the way.:icon_bigg
    Yes, you do have a gay voice. :lol: It's really high. You set off my gaydar when you said "whatever".
    You randomly raised your voice (what's the correct word for that?). You did it a bit much. I could guess from that that you are gay.:icon_wink Other than that, you have a manly voice.

18. secretguyX

19. Night Rain

Nope. Very lovely.:slight_smile: But you're still too young. Your voice is still changing. You talked a little fast. But people can't link that to your sexuality, can they?

20. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Slight emphasis on "s" sounds. Heavy emphasis on vowels, especially "I." Some neat inflections overall. Nothing highly suggestive linguistically, to be honest.
    If you were straight, I don't think anybody would doubt it by your voice.