1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outing the Blind...how many here are Blind?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spatula, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha, yeah right. I'm not blind. But the deaf thread gave me a strange idea...

I realize this isn't the right forum to ask necessarily, but I've always wondered about blind people's sexuality--particularly those that are totally blind from birth. Could most of them end up bisexual? I doubt anyone here is blind (maybe legally but not fully), but if you know anyone that is, what is their sexuality?

Unfortunately there are few resources on the internet for answering this question. Seems like it would be an interesting one worth studying.

2. manofwar618

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it unlikely to find blind people on the Internet, you know, and how it relies entirely on sight to read text?

3. Ridiculous

^ Text-to-speech. Although I don't think it is used that much.

I'm not speaking from experience, and I don't know any blind people, but my guess would be that it would go one of two ways:
    • they are either bisexual because their attraction is almost entirely based on the personality of the other person, or
    • they are straight because they can easily 'conform' to the societal expectation of heterosexuality, as their lack of sight removes the whole "actually, I'm not attracted to the opposite sex" factor that is the point of realisation for a lot of us.

4. manofwar618

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I feel like they can still have a full spectrum of sexual orientations.
    A voice is a big part in attraction.
    Imagine the perfect person with a great body, but put an obnoxious voice on them. Major turn-off.
    Not to mention, they still have the sense of feeling (likely even stronger, to make up for their vision loss).
    There's the simple fact of, if they find either a penis or a vagina unnattractive, they just can't get turned on.
    I can understand where you're coming from, though.

5. Zontar

There's more to sexual attraction than just what you see. There's how the person sounds, smells, feels up against you, etc. Therefore, no, I don't think most blind people would be bisexual.

6. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For someone who has never seen anything in their life, the way their brain interprets those things could be very different. A sighted person instantly associates those things with images that they are attracted to (or not).

7. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

That is quite an interesting question, I had never thought of that!

It would be interesting because I usually fall for someone's personality before I fall for their looks. But once that happens, something as simple as them smiling at me or waving can make me heart beat faster. Or the way they comb their fingers through their hair or little quirks about them.

8. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had a blind member here before. I don't remember his username and doubt if he posts anymore, though.