1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out the Aspie/Autie

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuzzled82, Jul 3, 2012.

1. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After seeing a couple other threads, I figured I'd start this one. I have Aspergers. It does seem from conversations on other forums that there is a higher percentage of LGBT people in the ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders) population than in the overall population...

2. Night Rain

Now I have the strange urge to make a "Outing the leftie" thread. :grin:

3. Just Passing

I have a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome, but nevertheless it has been a major part of my life. If that statistic about a higher percentage of people who are gay are also on the ASD, then that would be interesting, but unless someone can confirm this properly, I won't believe it fully. :slight_smile:

4. Allecto

Another person with Asperger's checking in. I know a lot of queer/trans* folks who are also on the spectrum, and I really hope there are more studies done about this.

5. GingerGuy

Well, I honestly don't believe there are more LGBT people with asperger, but I dont have anything to back this up because I know no one with aspergers. But we all know that our brains are wired differently, so if this statement is true, then that's probably the cause.

6. Sherri

Oh I'd definitely believe that there is a higher percentage of LGBT aspies. I had never really run into aspies before in other online communities I've been a part of (and that's a lot), but gay websites are never without them. It'd be very interesting to see a study done about this.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aspie here too. Definitely very mild, but it's effected me poorly in the dating world imo. Guys can't figure me out >_> and I also was fired from a job because my co-workers reported me for being abrasive, etc....I'm pissed about that too because it was a company that employed people with disabilities...and yet they blamed me for not advocating even though I told them the first time I met them you'd think for that sort of company they'd actually ask "what should we be aware of"....sorry had to rant...

8. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

W00t! Aspie party~! ... *coughs awkwardly and leaves as fast as humanly possible*

I've noticed a positive correlation too, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the two are related. I think this would make an interesting study.

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Another Aspie here. It switches between very mild and moderate depending on how stressed out I am. When my doctor told my parents that I probably had a mild case of it, they did their damnedest to make sure that I'd be able to get along in the world in spite of my disability (I know there are some Aspies/Auties who advocate for not calling it a disability, but I think it absolutely is and they're delusional in thinking it isn't). They sent me to a lot of behavioral therapy and group therapy, and it worked pretty well.

Of course, I'll never be able to escape the fact that my pro-social behaviors are learned, not instinctual things like they are for neurotypicals. So when I'm stressed out and don't have the energy it takes to stick to those pro-social behaviors, they tend to fall to the wayside and my AS shows pretty clearly. It also shows itself when I'm in an unfamiliar situation where I'm still trying to work out the norms and unspoken rules, since I tend to tense up and become very rigid when I don't know those.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest Owen, I get tired of the people who advocate that it's not. One of my teacher's in high school had the nerve to say I need to stop resting on my disability and it kind of was like...wtf?!

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mild aspie here. It has its advantages and its disadvantages, if given the choice i wouldn't change it.

12. KiddlesP

Dear God this is frightening. I had little idea that there was such a large amount of people with Aspergers here. I have a mild case, and I have worked at it so that I can nail out most qualities that I deem disadvantages and keep the advantageous ones. I thought this forum was going to push me in one way, and it seems to be stretching me in others... how odd... :icon_sad:

13. scintillate

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A new aspie here. Well my diagnosis is actually autistic syndrome, but people tend to believe I'm mentally retarded then, so that's why I say I have AS. And most of the people with ASD I know are actually heterosexual, but that's just a few people here in Sweden.

14. Naren

LOL ^

I have asperger's myself, not very severe though. Also, I'm not paranoid, whatever everyone else has been saying about me.

15. Rivers

Aspie here! My condition's pretty manageable, though.

16. 461 467

I have it, and started a thread a few months ago that few people replied to. Lol.

17. Mox

Mox

I am also an Aspie. It's very mild though.

18. RainbowMan

Yeah, Aspie here too. It doesn't really affect me all that much - but if you look at my work performance reviews, the traits show through clearly.

However, my current therapist, when told of that diagnosis, was essentially dismissive. He was like "maybe it was an appropriate diagnosis, maybe it wasn't - but it really doesn't matter now". The thing is, in dating once I start doing that (have to get someone interested in me first!), I think it's highly relevant. I'm a complete doofus.

However, when the stuff in this thread came up, one thing he said has stuck with me - "if you were a lawyer arguing for your Dad's emotions right now, you'd be making one hell of an argument"

Followed by "Your'e a very empathetic person, and that will serve you well in relationships of all types. But you need to look at yourself too."

So in reality, I dunno

19. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

Another Aspie here.:smilewave
    I got diagnosed one year ago, and now all those ''quirks'' make sense. It gets really frustrating at times, because I find it hard to keep an eye contact, and read various social cues. But I'm working on it, I force myself look into someone's face, not eyes but a face, it's a beginning of sorts.

And no one knows except me, and my former psychologist, and I like it better that way. My family knows that I'm gay, but they disappointed me with their reaction, so I'm not planning on telling them anything that can make me more vulnerable to their attacks. My friends on another hand, seem rather immature, and not trustworthy at all, ahh maybe I need new friends. But how can anyone want to befriend a weirdo like me.:icon_redf

20. RainbowMan

You're NOT a weirdo. You're just different from most people, both in your sexuality and this aspect of your life. I don't find it easy to make friends, but those that I do I'm fiercely loyal to. That's a strength.