1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outing the Jews

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Jul 3, 2012.

1. GingerGuy

Following the trend, I'm creating another thread for people who, besides being gay, also belong to another minority who is also the target of discrimination. I'm not jewish myself, but I study in a school where it seems like more than half of the students are jewish. Besides, I have to admist that I just adore jewish boys. I love their semitic noses, their (usually) curly hair, their intelligence and capacity to excell in pretty much everything they try, and even the "covenant with God" they have down there... I crushed over a jew for I believe more than a year, who besides looking very good also had an amazing and funny personality. This crush was over the day we showed me his girlfriend... such a shame. If he was gay he wouldn't be just the gay I would hook up with. He would be the guy I would marry.

So, if you are jew or have caught the matzo fever, this is the thread for you!

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not *officially* Jewish, as one must be of a Jewish mother and raised in the faith, but barring those two minute details (I was raised by my Episcopalian mother as an Episcopalian/Christian - but currently believe in everything and anything) I'm as close as one can get.

My family (on both sides) has Jewish ancestry. I have some relatives that practice Judaism as well, but they are maternal cousins.

I also make a kickass (however, not strictly kosher) chicken soup, which is also known as Jewish penicillin.

3. I have a pretty Jewish last name and my dad's family is Jewish. I'm not technically a Jew, nor do I practice Judaism, but CLOSE.

4. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

My dad's family is jewish, and my mom's family is evangelical (vomit). My mom's dad is actually pretty anti semitic and didn't want them to get married. Now my mom considers herself to be "spiritual" or something like that, and my dad still considers himself to be jewish, although he's extremely reformed and we do almost nothing for either religion. I personally am an athiest, although I guess I have some "Jewish genes".

5. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm half jewish from my dad's side of the family. My mom is christian. Neither of them practice their religion. We do celebrate jewish festivities though :/. I also went to a jewish school but I consider myself an atheist.

Interesting fact: like the last poster, my dad's mom wasn't ok with them getting married. Myself being involved with the jewish community, it's uncommon for jewish people marrying outside their religion.

6. manofwar618

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm full on Jewish. Combine that with my gayness, and I'm pretty much a super minority. :slight_smile:
    Both of my parents are Jewish, and so were their parents and so on.
    Judaism (at least in my area) is pretty gay friendly.

7. GingerGuy

It's quite sad that, out of all the people who posted here, only one is full-on jewish and practices his religion. Like I said before, I really, really wish there were more jewish gay guys out there (Tony Kushner is my idol, if you guys know who he is). But I guess this will never be true, since the jews are only 1% of the world's population (I really, really wish they were at least 5%).

A question to manofwar618: Do you have a tradionaly jewish/semitic nose? If you do, I'm honestly putting you on the list of people from this website that I would like to "know better". ;-)

8. Deaf Not Blind

watch out! he is a red head and drunk again! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it's sort of a minority within a minority. There are definitely some practicing gay Jews out there, they just aren't on EC.

As for the Jewish population, it may full well be a higher percentage of the earth's overall population were it not for various forms of (often very violent) persecution. In addition (as far as I am aware) the people of the Jewish faith seldom sent out missionaries trying to convert others to their religion like Christians often did.

10. GingerGuy

Yeah, for sure. If the Holocaust never happened, there would be more jews around, although not as many in America. But this would mean that we would have more highly intelligent and educated people in the world. Damn you Hitler.

Well, I guess my options are to either leave this preference just on the hypothesis or get into a jewish dating website and try to meet somebody. If this website is restricted for jews only, of course.

11. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Out of sheer curiosity, why are you so attracted to finding a mensch of Jewish origin who still practices his religion?

In my experience most Jewish people that still practice are often reluctant (or sometimes outright refuse to) enter a relationship with someone outside their own faith. This might be different for LGBT Jews, on account of how small a margin that would give them to find their soul mate.

12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My great grandma on my Dads side was Jewish, so technically he is I suppose. His parents were both atheist though and so is he, and since the religion gets passed down through the mother I'm not. One of his sisters is though, but only because she moved to Israel and met/married/had kids with a Jewish guy.

13. GingerGuy

BlackCat, I have studied in a private school in Chicago for two years, and as you can expect, there were many jews there. I quickly grew fascinated by their culture, and most of all, by some of the guys I met. Like I said in the original post, I developed very strong crushes on them, and can still recall their abilities (ALL of them were excelent in at least one thing), funny humour and really, really cute jewish noses. (Adrian Brody is a handsome man) So yep, I feel like I'll never see them again, and to be honest, I don't really want to "move on" from guys who were so great to me, even though at least 90% of them were straight and I did not come out while I was there. I wanna meet more people like them, and this way find my mr right.

I never thought about this possibility, but I think this doesnt occur in LGBT couples because what causes the reluctance is the fact that children wont be jewish if the mother is not one. But since two guys dont make children by themselves... And by the way, I did not mean they should practice the religion, just that they should identify as jewish and have a jewish mother. Instead of the typical "a very distant relative of mine is jewish so I think I technically am".

14. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can see why that would be comforting to you then, having had such positive experiences with Jewish boys at school.

That was a simple misunderstanding on my behalf then, and for that I must apologize. I interpreted what you said about finding a Jewish partner to mean that you wanted someone who went to temple weekly, observed the Shabbat, had and attended Bar/Bat Mitzvoth, and read the Torah. I thought you were specifically looking for a Jew while not being one yourself, like a Jew chaser (similar to chubby chasers, and other people who desire certain types of partner while not fitting that mold themselves), which as I mentioned may be hard to find.

You'd be surprised. Sometimes people are still reluctant to date/marry outside of their religion, regardless of sexual orientation. It's a matter of importance to them though, and they have to decide which is more important: their love for God or the love for their potential partner.

Now I don't speak from any experience, and I feel that this is crucial to mention. I don't fancy myself as some sort of religious lexicon or anything of the sort. But I do know that some people are adament about their partner being of their faith, and this is still very common in Judaism due to the once dwindling population.

Dating sites could work, but make sure to be fair and mention up front that you yourself are not Jewish, so as not to have anyone assume otherwise.

And I too find Adrian Brody incredibly attractive. The Pianist is one of my favorite films. :slight_smile:

15. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My husband is Jewish which his great grand father is Sir Barnard George Saw (Who, yes, also being Jewish). He has taken me to the singogue a couple of time, I met the Rabi as well. He makes only kosher meals.