1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody raised without any religon?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DanA, Jul 4, 2012.

1. DanA

Ok, so I talk to atheists and I always hear a similar story. "I was raised Catholic/Jewish/Muslim/Hindi/etc." I believe I'm somewhat unique with my background, but it would be comforting to know if there were other people with a similar history.

I was not raised with any sort of religion. I did not grow up believing in a higher power. I have never been to a church or a temple for a service (I have been there to study them, look at their architecture, read texts in their libraries for research, etc.). In the Boy Scouts, I respectfully refused to pray and rejected God openly.

We did celebrate holidays like Christmas but there was never a religious theme around it. We celebrated it as secularly as possible.

Growing up, there were no crosses or iconography in my house but there was a Bible. It was on the shelf right next to the Qur’an, the Torah, a translation of the important Vedas, and a book on Eastern religion.

I have actually read the Bible cover to cover… I do not understand why people still follow its teachings or say it’s a moral book. In terms of mid-Iron Age morality, it is typical of tribal culture but in terms of modern day morality… it is a violent tome filled with horrifying images of God’s followers performing atrocities. Even the New Testament is incredibly disturbing to me.

I have read the Qur’an as well… which it’s very similar to the Bible but all the Abrahamic religions have a similar theme to them. It also disturbs me deeply with its violence.

Being on the outside of all religion gave me perspective on the world… in fact, it’s probably the reason I pursued history as a subject. It also gave me a deep distrust of deeply religious people as I studied how this phenomenon of religious thought has shaped our world and destroyed so much. Too be clear, I do not mean any specific organized religion, I mean religious thought. North Korea today is a state religion where their unwavering support of their leader is a religion. Nazism was a religion. Stalinism was a religion. Maoism was a religion. Joseph Kony is the leader of a religion.

Religion to me is easily corruptible and requires lazy thought… which is a potent combination to spread hate, war, injustice, and bigotry. I have been the victim of religious bigotry. In fact, everybody on this forum (who lives in this country, USA) who hopes to maybe one day be married or adopt is the victim of religious bigotry because that right is not universally guaranteed due to religious “morality” and for those who do have that privilege, it can be easily stripped away from you through the ballot box.

I mean no offense to anybody. You can be religious and incredibly bright. For most people I’ve met religion is just one part of them, it does not dominate them. For the people where religion dominates their lives completely, I feel sorry for a wasted life.

So, is there anybody else who was raised completely atheist from birth?

2. Heyitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not the only one. My parents grew up in religious familes and didn't like it, so they decided to raise my siblings and I without any religion in the family. They did it so that we could choose our own religious path in life, so it wasn't necessarily being raised as atheist, but it definitely led to that, as all my three siblings and I are either atheist or apathetic.

3. Night Rain

Have you studied Buddhism? I think it's a thought-provoking and kind religion. :grin:

4. DanA

Why yes, I have a published paper on conficting sources in Siddhartha's early life actually.

I still find it unnecessary. I came to similar conclusions of empathy and morality through life experience without knowing about Buddhism till much later.

Also, the perceived infallibility of the enlightened individuals bothers me and the whole idea that the universe exists solely for us to advance through using karma for the purpose of higher order rebirth and that we are guided through a cosmically predetermined dharma that does not allow for the expansion of social mobility is troubling.

All religion is perfectly pleasant on it's face. Islam is about peace. Christianity is about love. Buddhism is about cosmic oneness.

It really shows the purity of innocent human thought which is what we should cull from all religions rather than getting mired in belief systems propagated by centuries old texts and a pantheon of imaginary gods.

5. Night Rain

Oh well, at least it doesn't openly condemn or discriminate people (not that I know of). Every religion is unnecessary in the sense that they all offer you the morality that you can come up with on your own. Believe it or not but there are people out there that need the guidance of a religion, and I would very much prefer it if they chose Buddhism, because I can see how dreadful the other religions turn out to be. :grin:

My mother is Christian (granted that Christianity in my country is really different than in the U.S.) and my father is Buddhist, and yet I'm an atheist. Somehow the Christian folks always give me the shivers (for apparently no reason) when I'm around them and the Buddhist people make me feel at ease.

6. FJ Cruiser

You're not really unique in being raised without religion, but you're story is unusual in that despite growing up without religion, you're very knowledgeable of them. Even here in what is statistically the second-most conservative city in the nation, I know plenty of people that grew up without religion, but they're typically very ignorant and militant about their lack of belief since they didn't make the decision themselves, very similar to any religious household really.

7. King

King Guest

Me!
    I was baptized, and I went to church about twice... But it was difficult for my parents to bring four kids, all aged 5 and under, to church so we stopped going. My mother was raised Protestant and my father was raised Catholic.
    I, personally, am an apatheist. None of my siblings are religious, and both of my parents seem to have ditched it as well - my mom believes in God but doesn't act on it or anything.

King x

8. DanA

Well, if it is needed it provides that need with false hope... which is no guidance or hope at all.

There is no denying that religion has done some good in the world, though. In a purely academic view, religion helped to move us from the jungle to the town square. It moved us from chaos to civilization through providing an organized base for society to blossom from. However, much like our biology, our ideas also evolve. Eventually, we will shed religion and even Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Jainism, all forms of Pantheism, Hinduism, Daoism, etc. will be tossed in the dust bin of history, possibly forgotten many thousands of years from now like the strange and exotic mystery cults of the Romans.

9. Night Rain

There's no doubt about that. People will get intelligent enough to disregard religions as a whole. :grin:

10. DanA

Lol, ok... I'm not attacking you, I'm just having fun with a discussion here and I totally respect you (btw, thanks for keeping this going).

This is another thing I disagree with you on. I don’t believe intelligence and religion are linked whereas if you have one of more, you have less of the other. Overall, studies have linked people who pursue higher education as being less likely to be religious but having a higher education does not necessarily denote intelligence. I believe that disparity comes from being exposed to other walks of life, other experiences, and being aware of the world around you and how it functions. That is the importance and purpose of higher education and history education, actually.

You can be highly intelligent and be religious. Just ask FDR, Barrack Obama, JFK, Cornel West, MLK Jr., or everyone who benefited from the intellectual tradition of the Jews (carried over to the US during the massive exodus due to the Holocaust).

#10 DanA, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  11. Night Rain

I didn't even feel attacked. I don't know where you got that impression.

I agree that being highly intelligent doesn't necessarily mean you will not be religious, but I also believe that intelligence plays an important part in whether a person is religious or not. Tell a child anything and he will believe it, but when he's grown up, he will learn to question before accepting anything as being true. And that's the result of higher intelligence. As you may have noticed, more and more people are openly atheistic or agnostic because they are better educated (than the people in the past), have access to non-biased knowledge and of course are more intelligent (as a result of evolution). I'm almost sure that there were many geniuses who didn't believe in God but just went with the flow because they would have been executed otherwise. Personally, I think the only reason that some intelligent people are religious is that they were raised up in a religious family/atmosphere and it became, for lack of better word, their lifestyle.

Despite what I say, I have nothing against the religious or religions (except for those who are homophobic and some really nasty religions that promote discrimination and unfair treatment). I even find some of the atheists really rude. Some think really highly of themselves, that they are superior.

12. DanA

Lol, it's just that whenever I try to have discussion of this caliber, people always feel like they're under attack and shut down.

13. Night Rain

You see these little emoticons :grin: :icon_mrgr:slight_smile:? If you see one then I'm not mad. Actually I was smiling.
    PS: I forgot to add some in my last post. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Night Rain

You know, I expected a longer response. :frowning2: Anyway, a little bump up since I want to know other people's opinions too. Or should I create another thread?

15. Aldrick

This is an interesting thread. I'm interested in seeing where it goes. I can't really participate because I was raised as a Southern Baptist, though when I became an adult and began to actually study the Bible (and ironically - gain more knowledge of Christianity than the average Christian), I lost my faith and ended up becoming what I'd term a "reluctant atheist."

My response to actually reading the Bible was similar to your own DanA. (Secret Tip: Most Christians don't actually read the Bible, though they may flip to some favorite verses they've heard of to support whatever argument they're making.)

I would compare it to reading a story - say, a romance novel - and then suddenly, inexplicably there is a robot war, dragons, and Toto from the Wizard of Oz dropped into the story without foreshadowing or warning. In other words, reading the Bible broke my suspension of disbelief. Likely, because I had been raised completely opposite to you.

I had been raised to believe that the Bible was basically a history book, and held pretty much all relevant information about the history of the world. Every word of it was to be taken literally, without question, and any contradiction had to be explained away.

It led to some silly arguments, such as the Dinosaurs not really existing - their bones were put in the ground by the devil to trick people. Or, alternatively, Dinosaurs and humans lived together. (This was necessary, because the world is - as we ALL know - only roughly 6,000 years old.)

So, then imagine coming to the Bible with that mindset, and then - after having a basic education - being constantly confronted with things you couldn't explain away. Then layer onto that, as you put it, all the "mid-Iron Age morality" that is largely ignored in modern times (unless it's convenient for a certain argument).

As a result, my suspension of disbelief was broken, and I ended up as a "reluctant atheist."

I've evolved a lot since then, though. I'd say that over time, as I've pondered the consequence of atheism, the world, the universe, and our place in it that I've ended up pretty squarely in the existentialist camp. My views most closely aligned with that of Friedrich Nietzsche and Albert Camus. Though, I wouldn't say that I follow them exactly, they are simply the most similar.

I wouldn't really recommend my world view to most people. It isn't the world view most people want to hold. Even atheists. I think everyone has their comforting delusions, the atheistic and religious alike.

On the whole I think delusions are bad, because they rob people of a chance to really live their lives. On the other hand, delusions are comforting which is why we allow ourselves to escape into them in the first place. I don't look down upon people, or begrudge people for having delusions. I don't think ones level of delusions measures someones intelligence or their ability.

I'm not even sure what a world would look like if the majority of people held my views. It could easily become a very scary place.

16. Level75

I was raised without a religion. My father was Taoist and he tried his best to raise us as such. But that could never have really thrived with the way we were brought up in a largely white suburban area.

He passed away a from years ago and I believe the only practicing member of my extended family left is my paternal grandfather. And once he goes, that'll probably be the end of that. Everybody else seems to be largely atheist.

Funny enough, when I was really young, one of my classmates once asked me if I'm Christian. At the time, my worldview was so small that I thought there were only 2 types of people in the world: Christians and Jewish. And I knew I wasn't Jewish, whatever that meant, so I just said I was Christian, whatever that meant. Shows what kind of neighborhood I grew up in.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents raised me to be able to choose my own religion. They do not practice any religion. For a while I atended a United Methodist Church. Well, they found out about me being gay and pretty much kicked me out of the church.

After that I began to doubt in God. I began to wonder if this is what God's plan was for his people. I realized that Christianity was not for me. I realized that I had been tricked into believing something that was not there. So... now I consider myself an atheist.

18. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I was raised without religion. There are two people in my family alive today who were ever particularly religious: my aunt, who used to be Catholic but is now non-religious; and my grandma, who is still a very devout Jehovah's Witness. Everyone else, while raised religious, left religion before I was born. As a result, I've always considered myself an atheist.

19. timo

I was raised without religion, and my parents and grandparents from my mother's side aren't religious either. I don't know about my grandparents from my father's side cause they passed away before I was born, but I believe they weren't either. My parents have no religious things like crosses in the house, they only have a Bible because my sister had to buy one when she went to a christian high school (it was either the christian one in their town or one 15 miles away).

I respect people and their beliefs but I could never be religious myself. I don't know if there's some kind of deity, and in all honesty I don't care.

If there's some kind of afterlife/heaven, yeah that would be cool, but if there's just a big bunch of nothingness after I die (this is what I expect there to be, nothing) that would be fine too. I'll just make the best of my life right here right now :grin:

20. Ridiculous

In the US maybe it is somewhat rare, but other western countries have much higher rates of atheism and agnosticism. I was (thankfully) raised without any religious influence, my mother, and her parents, and their parents too as well. My father was kind of but he doesn't believe any of it - it was mainly traditional. Very few people in my social circle have been religious, and those that have were also just approaching it from the traditional angle too. People that actually believe the things in the religion seem to be largely met with the "Smile and walk away slowly" procedure.