1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eating out alone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lad123, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Lad123

After reading the 'going to the movies alone' thread It made me think about people going to restaurants alone. I work part-time in a restaurant you see, and we get the occasional 'for one' customer.

Personally I don't think I could do it... I would get super awkward with everyone staring. Would it not be better to get a takeaway instead?

Is there anyone here that does do it?

2. Catkin

Yup I've done that. This country doesn't have have a big take-away culture, and I don't know anyone here, so if I want a break from cooking I haven't really got much choice. I've never noticed anyone staring, I think you just imagine that people are because you feel self conscious going into a restaurant alone. I kill the awkwardness by bringing a book to read while I wait for my food, and Isit somewhere near a window so I can people watch, it makes eating alone less boring.

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never eat out, but I don't see the big deal. I would do it.

4. Bradley

I wouldn't do it in my own town, but if I am traveling I have no problem doing it.

5. King

King Guest

I don't eat out alone. Just because I generally hate the public and I don't like eating in public. That being said, I have frequented one diner with my best friend and we eat there sometimes... But when I'm with someone I shove food down my throat, so it's a beautiful sight.
    I work at a kind-of-fast-food type restaurant, and we often get people who are alone. It's only weird if you make it out to be. Most people just stop by to grab something to eat before leaving to catch the bus (the bus station is right outside of my workplace) so it's not really bizarre.

King x

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't do it in a restaurant, I'd feel awkward.. but I sometimes do it in a snackbar, or at a place for lunch.. especially at lunch, 'cause then I can make my homework, without anyone interrupting, while eating!

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do semi-regularly. I usually bring along a book or read an ebook on my iTouch, and never really feel awkward.

8. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I do it a lot when I feel lazy and don't pack a lunch to work. So it's usually a very casual restaurant- a sandwich shop or a chipotle or something. It doesn't make me feel awkward at all.

9. EllieSong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I go to the restaurants sometimes and I enjoy there, eating slowly, maybe watching some people (if restaurant is in the shopping centre - we have lots of those) or read a book and ignore the world xD

10. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I pretty much don't eat out, but I'd go to a fast-food place alone (I think thats pretty common especially at lunch). A 'normal' restaurant though, no probably wouldn't go alone.

11. Noir

I don't think I'd feel awkward--I mean, how do they know you're not just some random person who tried to make dinner by yourself but your kitchen exploded so now you need a plan B? :lol:

12. DanA

I do it all the time on my lunch break, usually at this really good raw food place by my summer job.

I'll pop on my I-pod or bring a book and do that while I eat for on my break.

13. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I go to cafés and coffeehouses alone all the time. They usually have wifi, so I can just hop on the Internet on my iPod and it doesn't feel awkward at all. I've eaten alone at a proper restaurant a few times (I don't do it much because I'm stingy and with a drink and the tip, the bill adds up fast), and it never feels awkward. I usually bide my time by people watching or getting lost in my own thoughts, so I never feel bored.

14. Bolin

Juxtaposing my post in the movie theater thread, I hate eating by myself in a dine-in restaurant. I'd rather have company. I don't have an iPad or laptop or anything, so I wouldn't be able to kill time....so I'd just be sitting there awkwardly, probably looking at the walls.

15. BudderMC

I think it's the mentality that'll really dictate your experience. If you go in with the attitude of "I'm eating alone because nobody's around to come with me" then yeah, it'll feel awkward/pathetic. But if you go in with an attitude of "I'm just grabbing some food because I don't feel like cooking and I can relax for an hour or so" then it's about you, not other people.

16. Jared

I'm not a big fan of eating out alone but I'll do it if it isn't an upscale place and I really want the food from that place. Though at my college's dining halls I eat alone 99% of the time and just take my phone or iPad and find something to read.

17. Vernox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think people care if you're sitting alone... It's all in your head I think.
    I've gone to a restaurant alone before. I just studied, did homework, and ate. *shrug*

18. Neutrality

Sometimes I go eat at restruants alone in the hopes that a cute guy will walk by and ask if he can sit with me =P You never know.

19. Lad123

Yeah, I find cafes fine because its like a quick snack and you're ready to go but in a restaurant there is something awkward about it. I'm weird ._.

Haha this made me laugh! Good thinking its so cute :lol:

20. xD I tend to do lots of things that would be considered "group-activities" alone. I'm not sure if that's just plain sad, or confidence....

So, yes to your question about going out to a restaurant alone. I pretend I'm a food blogger, and I'm merely there to try the cuisine, and "blog" later on my overall experience. When in fact.....*ssshhh*