1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there more bisexual girls than lesbians?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mes1995, Jul 7, 2012.

1. mes1995

i know like 20 bisexual girls but only a few lesbians:confused:

2. laras

I do not know the stats.... But I know a few bi girls myself. Could be just the area you are in.... Or the people you are around. I worked at a greenhouse where 1/2 the girl's were lesbian...

3. DanA

Well, if you believe the Kinsey scale and Kinsey's work... there are technically more bisexual people than fully gay people

4. LisforLisa

I'm not sure there's only 3 gay guys at my school. There's only 6 bisexuals and only one gay girl and that's me.

5. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

I don't want to offend anyone, but I think it's easier for girls to stay in the closet. For intercourse they don't need to "get it up" or anything, so in some conservative areas a girl might just decide never to come out. Also, I think the way society is a lot of people would encourage a girl to be bisexual.

6. sguyc

I have to agree to some extent. Presenting yourself as a bisexual girl is a hell of a lot easier than being straight lesbian, probably a lot moreso than the male gay/bi dynamic. But who knows, maybe it has to do with the intrinsic differences between female sexuality and male sexuality that causes there to be so many more bi girls.

7. dreamcatcher

Back in high school, there were about 8 out bisexual girls and only 1 lesbian in my grade. According to statistics, there are more bisexual people in general than gay people. Also there are more bisexual women then lesbians so yes, that is true.

8. newguy

Out Status:
    A few people
  9. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I think a recent study found that there are more bisexual girls than lesbians, but more gay men than bisexual men. To me, this suggests that there is something cultural going on. If I had to guess I'd say that either a) there is stronger pressure on men to be either fully gay or fully straight or b) there is stronger pressure on women to be attracted to men. Kinsey's ideas would suggest the former, but I don't know if any hard data has been collected on the matter.

10. where i am currently i know more bisexual women than lesbians....

but different areas i go i know more lesbians than straight people :astonished:

probably just the people i know though.

11. im not changing

i know more out lesbians than i do bi-sexuals where i am :grin:

12. starfish

I'm not quite following you there.

13. Noir

I personally only know girls who are bi--I'm the only true blue lesbian I know of anywhere in real life. :dry: It's like it's trendy at my school or something to be bi, but no one actually wants to come out and say they're les! And a lot of those bi girls eventually get boyfriends, too....without ever having dated a girl that I know of!

14. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Erm, I don't agree with this or how you worded it...

What I would say is that it may be that it's easier for women to lie to themselves - because they don't have something 'obvious' like an erection, they can stay in the closet to themselves and just lie to themselves that they just 'admire' other women rather than that it's sexual...

I do think sexuality may be more complicated in women than in men - generally speaking and allowing for exceptions.

I also think that for **some** women - or at least, two I know in real life - having children and a 'normal' family is something they really, really want - and they're willing to go through with the whole 'being straight' thing because being pregnant and the whole traditional set-up is what they want over and above a fulfilling sexual relationship :icon_sad:. For these two women I know, there maternal feelings and biological clock seem to be winning over their sexuality. I think that that is terribly sad, but all I can do is advise to the contrary and then sit and watch :icon_sad:

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2012 at 11:57 AM ----------

I also think that that number of 'bisexual' girls is artificially inflated by girls who pretend to be bi so they can turn on the boys. Sad but true.

15. "I also think that that number of 'bisexual' girls is artificially inflated by girls who pretend to be bi so they can turn on the boys. Sad but true."

second this. the amount of girls that have lead me on because they wanted a guy. lesbians have feelings too :frowning2:

#15 flyinhernikes, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  16. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't know any statistics on this kind of thing, but a lot of my friends who are girls are bisexual and actually none of my friends are lesbians. Of course this is just my own personal experience and like I said, I don't know any sort of statistics on this.

17. mes1995

The bolded, i see this a lot i think that is part of the reason lesbians arent taken that seriously,i wonder when this trend will die it makes real gay girls look bad.

18. sanguine

now that I think about it, I dont know any lesbians either, I only know a hand full of bisexual girls only :/

19. lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Guest

seems to be the trendy thing lately; to be a bisexual girl. i know quite a few but no lesbians.

20. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    for men ages 18–44:
    bisexual - 1.8%
    homosexual - 2.3%
    something else - 3.9%

for women ages 18–44:
    bisexual - 2.8%
    homosexual - 1.3%
    something else - 3.8%

Note that this is the US in 2008. Obviously, these figures probably reflect those that are aware of their queer sexual orientation and are likely to be out of the closet about it. It is impossible to be sure how many more there might be.

I'm actually very interested by the "something else" category now. We should all be kneeling before them because they outnumber us by a staggering amount apparently.