1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So.. I was wondering if those relationships that you see on TV are real?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BurritoQueer, Jul 8, 2012.

1. BurritoQueer

For this thread, I am going to use Glee as an example.

Blaine Anderson & Kurt Hummel..

Blaine is this perky guy- who is just amazing in every way, I'm not sure how but he just makes me smile so much! He hadn't had a boyfriend previous to Kurt. He has all these ideas of how to be romantic.
    He has such a cute personality & just when he shows his emotions your heart just melts!

Kurt is this, boring type of guy. Not really all that adventerous, fashion-esta. *Who can be cute sometimes but no where near as cute as Blaine.

Anyway, you have to watch Glee to know what I mean.
    But their relationship is taken slow.. They wait a fair while before they have sex finally.
    They appear to hang out after school almost everyday and hang around each other on weekends.
    They give each other masages, cuddle, go for walks together (I believe) and it's just all too cute to be real.

WATCH GLEE TO FIND OUT WHAT I MEAN.

2. Neutrality

I've never seen the show, but if you mean relation ships where you take things slowly then yes they are real, you just have to find a guy that wants more then sex =P. Personally I rarely even kiss on the first date and like to wait a while before I consider sleeping with someone...I love to cuddle like that and hang out with guys I like...though I'm kind of lazy so usually I'll play video games instead of walk =P....granted relationships are never as perfect as they usually appear on tv.

3. Sherri

Ew, Glee.

I think they can be real, but you should remember that there is always more to it than what you see on TV. TV is the dramatized interesting version of everything, not reality.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen a number of gay relationships where people are somewhat opposites; one being very outgoing and the other shy and retiring. And I've seen relationships where the couple loves to just go walking in the park, or sit around talking, or just being with each other.

And I have several friends for whom sex didn't enter into the relationship for many months after the relationship started, because both parties wanted to take it slow so that their relationship would have meaning over time.

So yes, I think what Glee portrays with Kurt and Blaine, while perhaps a little idealistic, is quite possible in real life. But there are many types of healthy relationships, and the attributes of Kurt and Blaine's relationship isn't the only one.

5. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you mean to people in gay relationships spontaneously start singing popular songs that have a modicum of relevance to their present situation then no, they are not.

But otherwise, yes, what you're describing does happen sometimes in real life, but every relationship is different.

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For some people, relationships as depicted on TV will be similar to their experiences because they're similar to the characters depicted on TV (and the people that make whichever show they're watching put some effort in to keep character dynamics true to each character's persona)

I am nothing like any character i've seen on TV so the relationships i've had and have are never like anything i've ever seen. That's not to say you won't have a different experience.

7. BudderMC

:grin:

Anyway, yeah, these things do happen. I think the slight problem is that you don't often hear about those healthy relationships; even here, we usually hear about relationships in Support & Advice, and those are the ones with problems, right? It's a bit biased I guess, but maybe you get what I mean.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, when I was at Oberlin, I did run into a few voice majors that would spontaneously start singing in the middle of the stairwells... the halls... the lounges... anywhere they could get attention. Much to the annoyance of almost everyone else. But I guess that's a little different :slight_smile: