1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many do you consider a lot?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by secretguyX, Jul 8, 2012.

1. secretguyX

How many people do you consider to be a lot, or "quite a few" in my wording, to be out to? When I told my mom, she asked me how many people knew, and I had lied and said around 6, which is completely off, and she told me that was way too many. Now, it's not like I'm one to listen to my mom in the first place, so that's not gonna stop me from coming out to anyone else, but I'm curious how many you would consider to be "a lot" of people.

I'm honestly not exactly sure how many people I'm out to. I'm positive 21 know.
    And there's probably other people who've been at parties and know as well, and I just forgot to add them...
    Also some people from my previous school softball team know, I'm just not sure which people and how many of them know (but apparently it's almost all of them...)
    So I'd add probably at least 12 people, if not some more, to that 21 that surely know.
    There's of course all the people online that know (empty closets, tumblr, wittyprofiles, certain ipod apps), but I don't include them in my count.

#1 secretguyX, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. Night Rain

Well, I'm thinking 20. I'm only out to 6 people so 20 is a big number to me. :grin:

3. sanguine

I wouldnt know, I told a few friends, then the next day everyone knew, an ex best friend is an asshole and told one of the biggest gossip queens in the school, it was posted as a facebook status too

4. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

:After 10 or so i figured word would get around and I just assumed people knew afterwords. I'd say you've told a lot... But a lot is where I park my car:lol:.. Yay bad puns

5. BudderMC

I'd say probably 7+ people, in person would be a lot for me.

I can probably count about 10 people who I've actually discussed it with in person, + another 20 or so whom are close friends but never brought it up, then another 200 or so from my Welcome Week first-years, plus all of you guys... if you count the fact that I consider myself out at university, then there's another 22000... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I'd say that it's a relative thing. For me, coming out to 20 people in person would be a lot, but then again, that's because even during the school year I talk to maybe 10 different people over the course of a week. In terms of how many people know, again it would be relative to how many people know you well enough that they might know some personal details (e.g. full name, state you grew up in, what you want to major in if you're going to college) about you. If pretty much everyone who knows those things about you also knows you're bisexual, then I'd say that's a lot, but certainly not too many, as long as you don't mind them knowing.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How many people you tell is *your* choice, not your mom's. The only reason she is saying that is her own shame/discomfort, which isn't really your problem.

Realistically, if you're talking friends around your own age, once you've told a half dozen, you can pretty much figure most everyone knows. News spreads rapidly, and it's pretty much impossible to tell 20 people and not have at least a couple of them "leak" it to their best friends and so forth. And once it gets past the first person, no one feels an obligation to keep the info hidden... so it spreads like wildfire.

Oh well. Guess your mom will have to deal :slight_smile:

8. SkyDiver

I'd say around 20 or 30. That was when I started to feel like alot of people knew. :slight_smile:

9. DanA

Hmmmmm, I'm out to everybody now... so what, about 7 and a half billion? I guess that's a lot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But seriously, I couldn't care less who knows now, so I don't keep track but in that first weekend I came out, I told all my friends plus family so that was at least 20 right there.

10. GingerGuy

Pause for counting...

I think about 25. No, even more, maybe even 50. And out of them only one is a family member. In my typical social circles, people are ok with me being gay. Let's see if the same happens inside of my own house.

11. Pain

Pain Guest

But this hits the nail on the head :grin: