1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians are less visible..?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mes1995, Jul 8, 2012.

1. mes1995

i have read this a few times what does that mean exactly

2. bob94

I think it just means that it's more difficult to tell if a girl is gay than it is to tell if a guy is gay. For example, it's more "normal" for a girl to be touchy with the same gender than it is for a guy.

3. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately :tears:

4. Delta

I think it just means girls have more social leeway, so they don't get labeled gay for holding hands with another girl, or sometimes even for kisses. Guys get labeled as gay for the first sign of hand holding, and so on.

5. GingerGuy

Yep, all of the above is true. And most people still believe it's worse to be a girl just because of periods..

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im not saying its worse to be a guy or a girl but possibly unless you can experience being the other gender then you cannot comment.

7. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it means it's not easy to tell if a woman is a lesbian. Like kitsune309 said, you could see 2 girls holding hands and they're not necessarily assumed to be in a relationship.

I agree.

8. TheAMan

It just means that it's harder to tell if a girl is a lesbian or not and I have to agree. Unless they are making it blatantly obvious I can never tell because girls touch and feel on each other all the time.

9. Just Passing

Women are stereo-typically more expressive and emotional, so they can do a lot of same sex related contact that relates as simple touchy touchy stuff and not get judged for it. If a man did even something slightly similar with another man, his sexuality regardless of what it is would get called out on or judged.

It's funny because I remember the amount of times women would accompany each other to the toilets and yet if men did the same sort of thing, you can guess. :wink:

Either way, it's a case of double standards from a lot of sides.

10. CelticRae

I don't know about all of you but I can't seem to find any girls who bat for the other team where I live. My gaydar is actually quite good and I normal can tell if a girl leans that way. My biggest problem is getting other gay ladies to notice me. I really don't dress stereotypically gay at all. My appearance is low maintenance. I have long hair rarely wear makeup but do sometimes. I'm not high fem either. I am kind of turned off to the idea of wearing rainbows on everything. I do believe I have a decent gay swag if people would just notice . It's weird how no one does. Do any of you other gay ladies have this problem? It seems like the only way to get other lesbians to notice you is to dress like justin beiber which is ridiculous and a huge turn off to me. Gay guys don't seem to have as much trouble with this. I swear there always seem to be more gay men than women anywhere. What do you guys think?

11. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Weeeeeeeellllll technically speaking I've experienced being the other gender, and imo being a boy sucks more. Though I might be a bit biased, because I had/have a severe hatred for my body :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. The Queen Bee

OMG! I totally agree with you.
    I'm as gay as the come. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm a lesbian.
    Like 80% of the stereotypes apply on me. lol
    Though, some people have notice it... many people to whom I've came out to were like "really?" and I was like "well, yeah... Lesbian ozzes out of my pores."
    What gets on my nerves is that there are very few lesbians out in my city.
    I went to a gay bar in Quito (the capital of my country), because most of the L-bars have gone out of business, out of 50 people 5 were girls... two of them were a couple. One of them was me... Yeah... Not much on the shelf.
    *sigh*
    :dry:

13. bob94

Judging by your profile picture, I don't think I'd suspect that you're gay. You don't look overly-girly or anything, but you just don't come across as gay to me. You're very pretty, though :slight_smile:.

14. CelticRae

Yeah I don't think it is as noticeable from a picture but if you were around me I think it would be more obvious. I have been told that I walk more like a guy. My mannerisms tend to be more on the masculine side. My speaking voice is more monotone as well.

15. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not certain of this claim. But, then, my gaydar seems more finetuned on the ladies than the boys. Unfortunately, this isn't very beneficial to me, as the ones my gaydar hits on have about a 98% overlap with those that I am interested in...

16. aeva

I think the statement is more to do with the image of the lesbian community as a whole. We aren't as front and center as the gay male section of the community on a lot of issues.

I can definitely think telling a straight girl from a non-straight girl can be trickier too though.

17. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had never heard it said like this, but it's true... women are so much more comfortable with being touchy feely/lovely than men tend to be. I generally don't assume I'm being hit on when women cuddle me or kiss my cheek or joke about holding my hand or say they love me.... even if I wish they were... -__-

18. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I am apparently one of those people that girls feel very comfortable hugging, cuddling, etc with. Girls constantly sit on my lap, link their arms with mine, hold my hand. I think girls are just more comfortable showing that kind of affection toward the same sex than males are.

19. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Because society is screwed up, on so many levels.... "Lifes a bitch and so am I the world owes me so fuck you..."~Green Day, The Grouch.