1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your opinion about JG,BS,Cher, Madonna and LG?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Jul 9, 2012.

1. GingerGuy

Translation of the title: Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Madonna and Lady Gaga.

They are considering to be gay divas and the stereotype is that gay men absolutely adore them. I have to say this is not entirely wrong, nor right. Im certain that there are plenty of gay guys who worship them and plenty of them who do not. However, my intention is to hear each member's opinion of the five. If they like/dislike them and why.

Please follow this format. Copy and paste from the people above you.

Judy:

Barbra:

Cher:

Madonna:

Gaga:

2. timo

I dislike all of them, except for Judy Garland cause I don't know who she is. Can't really dislike her then, can I :grin: Their music just isn't my kind of thing.

3. Night Rain

Barbra: I like some of her songs (The Way We Were, Moon River). Her voice is amazing considering how old she is now.

I didn't know the first 4 are gay icons.

4. Just Passing

Judy Garland is overrated, but she had talent definitely. As for everyone else prior Lady Ga Ga, they're all talented, but I'm not too into them. Ga Ga is also overrated and I don't get her.

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not familiar with Judy's work other than "Over the Rainbow" (and haven't seen the movie yet lol) - Barbra is a classic in that style of music, Cher gets the "Energizer Bunny" award for going and going for how many decades now? Not unlike Madonna really, who gets the "push the envelope" award . LG, what I've heard is "ok" but so far I don't really see what the huge fuss is about - but she has a twitter account :wink:. I'm surely way outside of her target audience tho... (Quick check of the iPod reveals only a few Cher tracks and none of the others).

#5 awesomeyodais, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  6. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I respect Madonna, but I don't listen to any of these people. I listen to metal, post-punk, and prog rock. I've flirted with kraut rock; I have a lot of indie stuff in my library, maybe some jazz and classical, and a few important bands from each decade that (even if they aren't my cup of tea) are just too important to not listen to at least once.

I don't get the whole 'gay diva' thing.

Lots of bands I know have a gay or bi members. Those would make better heroes, I'd think.

Also Goldfrapp > Gaga

7. Ridiculous

Judy Garland: no significant opinion
    Barbra Streisand: no significant opinion
    Cher: she's pretty cool, her Twitter account is great and she seems like a nice person
    Madonna: she seems like a bitch every time I've seen her do anything
    Lady Gaga: she's great! Very genuine and definitely someone that I think we should all welcome regardless of whether we like her music or not.

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always wondered what qualifies someone as a "gay icon". Sure, Cher has done wonders for the LGBT community, as has Gaga. Madonna is popular amongst them, and supports gay rights, so I guess that counts. Judy Garland's death sparked the Stonewall riots, as she was loved by many (still, I don't think she made any great contribution to the gay rights movement as it was being born)... As for Barbra, I struggle to think of how she fits, but she seems like a groovy lady.

But it's beginning to look like all you have to do to become a gay icon is hire a male hairdresser. And if that's how they go about supporting gay rights, then so be it.

9. Bolin

Judy: I like her in The Wizard of Oz, and that's it.

Barbra: Not a fan.

Cher: Not a fan.

Madonna: I like a few of her songs; otherwise, I'm not a fan.

Gaga: I like some of her older singles, but nothing after her duet song with Beyoncé. I also do not like her music videos; I'd prefer not to be mind raped.

10. Aldrick

Judy Garland: Before my time, but obviously I've seen the Wizard of Oz. (Who hasn't?) I loved that movie. I also loved Somewhere Over the Rainbow, but I actually prefer the version sung by Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole. If I'm feeling really super down, I'll listen to that song as sung by him. It always makes me feel a bit better.

Barbra Streisand: She was also a bit before my time, so not a huge fan. I've heard her music, but it's never really called to me.

Cher: A bit before my time as well, though I love some of her songs. I view her pretty favorably, but I'm not a rabid fan.

Madonna: She was introduced to me by my Uncle. It was Christmas and my sister and I were at my grandmother's house (as per tradition before she died). He was there, as always, on Christmas. He had cassette tapes of music, Madonna being one of them... and I fell in love. I remember dancing in the basement, with my sister and uncle, to Vogue. Strike a pose!

"Come on, Vogue! Let your body move to the music (move to the music)! Hey, hey, hey! Come on, Vogue! Let your body go with the flow (go with the flow)! You know you can do it! All you need is your own imagination, so use it that's what it's for (that's what it's for). Go inside for your finest inspiration, your dreams will open the door (open up the door). It makes no difference if you're black or white; if you're a boy or a girl. If the music is pumping it will give you new life! You're a superstar! Yes, that's what you are, you know it! Come on, Vogue!"

Yeah, I was probably around six years old or something. Looking back, everyone was probably thinking, "The gay side is strong in this one." :lol:

Yeah, I loved Madonna. Still do. :icon_wink

Lady Gaga: I love Lady Gaga too. She reminds me a lot of Madonna, which is why her music kinda appeals to me. It takes me back to childhood. She isn't that much younger than me, so she likely was highly influenced by the same types of music. I definitely see it, and that's one reason I love it.

Of course, none of this is an example of my musical tastes. My tastes are huge. I like Classical Music, Opera, some Rap, some R&B, a few Country Singers (Dolly Pardon... how could she miss this list?), Heavy Metal, and pretty much everything in between. I generally go wherever my mood happens to take me.

I don't worship these women like some gay men do, but I certainly admire them and listen to their music.

11. Night Rain

I totally forgot about Lady Gaga. So here's a better one:grin: :

Judy: Like others have said, I simply adore her "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Sadly, I haven't a chance to watch The Wizard of Oz. She was beautiful. :grin:

Barbra: Amazing voice that survives time. My favorites are "The Way We Were" and "Moon River".

Cher: I've heard of her but I don't know much about her to have an opinion. xD

Madonna: Same as above.

Gaga: I like her "Paparazzi". It's catchy. I don't like her performance or her sense of fashion. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I like it when a person stands out because of their talents, not because they dress weirdly. And I really hate the stereotype that all gays love Lady Gaga. I neither like nor love her.

12. Gallatin

Judy: she was good in The Wizard of Oz. That's all I know of her really.

Barbara: no opinion

Cher: no opinion

Madonna: not a fan

Lady Gaga: a few of her songs are catchy, but that's about it

13. Neutrality

I hate to ruin the fun but, I barely know who any of these people are. =P

14. adam88

In terms of pop I listen mostly to the Korean stuff. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: To be honest, I do respect Madonna quite a bit, at least for longevity. (Cher too)

15. GingerGuy

I'm quite happy that the stereotype that gay men love thsese singers is largely untrue. Most of you do not even know who they are, many more hate them, and only a very small minority like them. I, for once, like them all except for cher, though some more than others.

What I am a bit sad to see is the number of people from my generation (I am 17) who don't know anything about them. Ok, I know Judy has been dead for 40 years and you need to invest in your curiosity if you want to get to know her. But Barbra? Isn't she the female american singer who sold the most of all time? The diva of the 70's/80's, when my parents told me they listened to her on the radio all the time. Didn't she sing duets, win grammys, starred on broadway, and was even tributed in Glee? I think shes a great singer but an awful person, and thats fine if other people think she sucks, because this thread was created in part to debunk stereotypes. I only came to know about barbra after living in the united states for a while, but I really thought everyone had at least listened to some of her music. Its shocking, really. How the world of music goes on so fast that all stars can be quickly forgotten in the next generation. I wonder how much Gaga is going to last, then, because she is already starting to dim...