1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Since when is it bad to be white?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Owen, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'll introduce my situation before I talk about it. I'm white, caucasian, whatever you want to call it, and I'm comfortable with it. I'm also a recent convert of rock-and-roll. I liked rap for about six years, then two of my friends showed me the light, and I've never looked back.

Anyways, I am comfortable with my racial identity in the same way I am comfortable with my sexual identity. However, I still do things that are considered to be "too white". For example, if a good rap song comes on the radio, I won't resist the urge to snap along to it. Also, I sing my heart out while singing Sabotage by the Beastie Boys on Rock Band. For those who don't know, that song is in the rap/rock hybrid genre.

In both of the above described incidents, I was afterwards pelted with comments of "Oh my God, you're so white! :lol:" These types of comments don't faze me that much, but sometimes my friends get even worse and say, "No, you can't do that. You're just to white." I have no problem with the fact that acting according to the black stereotype makes a white person look more white. What I don't like is these people who think it's a bad thing that I'm comfortable enough with my racial identity to mock it.

So I guess these are my questions.
    1. Since when is it bad to "act white"?
    2. Why is going along with the black stereotype considered "white"?
    3. How can I get my friends to lay off?

2. sexyalex

BOY! i know u don't be trippin. now seriosuly, people need to get their facts STRAIGHT. gahhh!
    u don't get it and maybe ur friend don't ether. your skin complection has NOTHING absalouly NOTHING to do with anyone's personality. It's just a commonality that a specific type of attitude goes wth a specific type of skin colour. but it's just like ....'
    like...awhhhh, hearing a asian guy speak french and DON'T know english. what is he, ummm...too...french?

ok, new approch, how about a black person living in antartica?! is he too white cuz he live there? ok just forget it. rock music is 20th century. it's nothing cultural, more like a wave. so if ur into it, it's nothing to do with being black or white. come to think of it...and u can ask older poeple on EC, idk maybe paul or something (sorry paul ur the only one i know that old)...if u were alive 50 years ago u would probebly be listening to ummm the beachboys....or..the temptations or the beetles or something...idk mush about those poeple but,

GOSH I Y CAN'T I USE MY HAPPY WORDS!(excuse me)...ehe....but i hope u got the idea...

3. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey sexyalex - I'll reply....and I'm not surprised you're slightly p:***: :***: :***: :***: d off!

I couldn't believe Gamer am I's post. I've never heard of such crap. I don't mean you personally Gamer. Maybe I need to get out of this house more!

Music reaches across all religions and nationalities and has worldwide appeal. So what if you like to sing along to rap or any other black music? Are your friends for real? Just be happy that your appreciation for good music isn't tainted by such narrow mindedness. Your outlook to life is probably better than theirs. Perhaps they're envious! Who knows?

Carry on enjoying music and forget what your mates say which you seem to be doing anyway. :thumbsup:

4. chrisb

everyone should calm down lol........ take it all it stride my friend they don't mean it personally don't take it personallly

5. chrisb

if you try to make it personal at all they will be very upset/angered about it that's my experience anyway

6. Louise

Well I'm a bit confused, I can't see where your friends are coming from so can only blacks enjoy Jazz, R'n B (love it, love it, LOVE IT) can only whites enjoy disco (ugh hate it)? What planet do they live on?

So in answer to your questions :
    1 It is NEVER bad to act white... unless of course you are not!
    2 Going along with the black stereotype is ONLY considered white by your increadibly stupid friends!
    3 Find new ones, hahaha, jk.

You can't change your friends, you can try to educate them; if you think it is worth the effort. The more you rise to their comments the more you will encourage them in their small minded worlds. Try to find some decent cutting sarcastic or ironic reply's and leave it at that. They obviously don't realise how ignorant they are making themselves look.

7. SkyTears

This i kind of like half on topic but I thought I should share.

I was hanging out with my friends after school one day. About 55% of my school is white, 25% Asian, 15% African, %5 Other. So when I was walking to one of my friends when this guy started to bash on me for being white and this girl he was hanging out was like "What did he ever do? You should just shut up." Ha I think he was new to my school because we are a very accepting school. We only get like 1 fight every 3 months or so.

8. s5m1

Don't worry so much about what other people think. If you like the music, listen to it as you please. Tell your friends just that - you like the music and will listen to it how you want to. If the don't like it, it's their problem. Don't get hung up on what anyone else thinks about it.

9. BabyBoy

Ugh. My god. I know what you mean.

My situation is I'm supposedly "A white boy trapped in a black guys body" Well no, I don't like that shit, that gets annoying to hear, because what is "acting black" and "acting white"? Your race shouldn't determine your personality or interests or anything.

Fuck sterotypes, I say.

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I guess I should clarify a bit. I don't get the really severe remarks unless I do something like say "gangsta" in the middle of an otherwise grammatically correct sentence. But still, it gets annoying. :bang:

11. Alexander

I suggest you read about reverse discrimination (which is what you're going through). We all have to live with crap like this. The worst thing is that people can be sent to jail when someone calls a black guy a nigger (for example), but it's perfectly fine to call gay people fags. *rolls eyes*

12. BabyBoy

Oooh, I hate the N word. :eusa_naug

13. Bader

Bader Guest

the title of this thread is very disturbing

14. Alexander

I know! I do too. :astonished: