1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one who really hates the word lesbian?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemyLeBeau, Jul 10, 2012.

1. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I dunno if it's from years of being called "lezbo" or the fact that I'm in perpetual denial of my attraction towards women, OR if I'm just weird, but this is easily one of my least favorite words. Anyone else like this?

2. IrisM

I've been called quite a lot of names and had a lot of labels applied to me and it's quite possibly that you just don't like the idea of being classified by people, or that some people insensitively sling the word or words that bother you trying to apply negative connotations to something that is as natural as the sun, and has been around long as people have been in the world. Don't let words restrict you, you are yourself, and nobody can take that away but you.

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're not alone. I'm like you a lot with this. I also dislike the word. At times, I'm okay with it. Other times, I cringe when I hear someone refer to me as "a lesbian." It's one of those words that just.....:dry: You're not weird at all. I'd rather call myself gay than lesbian. Other people shouldn't be able to tell us how we identify.

If you don't like the word lesbian, it's totally okay. I know people automatically label women that like women as "lesbians" but we don't have to call ourselves that.

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2012 at 01:18 PM ----------

And like IrisM said, you're good the way you are and labels aren't that important in the end.

4. BudderMC

Disclaimer: This is prolly heavily laced with male-bias. And hopefully I don't offend anyone either <_<

I dunno, I actually kinda like it. But I use it more as a jokey, lighthearted kind of term. Like "Oh, she's a lesbian! lololol" or something. If I was seriously talking about a girl being gay, I'd call her gay.

I think it's a word (and I'm quite possibly wrong) that's much more difficult to use maliciously than say, "fag" for guys. I guess fag could be for gay girls too, but I've never heard it to be honest. Not to mention all gay guys really have is "gay", and that kind of has a serious connotation (er, not the right word... like a serious feeling) to it IMO.

Oh, and this:

[​IMG]

Just my two cents. Again, no offense meant.

5. DanA

I dislike being called anything other than my name. I mean, I'm proud to be gay, but I do not like being called gay. I dunno, it feels negative to me even though I know it's not. I don't know exactly how to put my feelings into words.

I dislike being called queer, I hate hate hate hate hate being called a fag, and homosexual sounds too clinical. We need a new word! I vote we steal bromance and gay guys are now referred to as "bromanitcs" and gay women are now referred to "womanitcs."

All in favor, say aye!

6. GingerGuy

I'm in favor!

7. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I don't hate it, but, I'd rather say I'm gay, than say I'm lesbian. It's just, the way it sounds, I like how "I'm gay" sounds rather than "I'm lesbian." Like, if someone asks me what my sexual orientation is, I just say, I'm gay. Maybe I'm just lazy and prefer to say I'm gay because it's faster to say, but, I just don't like saying I'm lesbian either. I remember back when I first came out, that I wouldn't even want to say lesbian, and whenever I typed it, I would have to look away from the computer.. but I think that was because I didn't even accept myself, at that time. But, now I do, and I could say it tons of times while thinking nothing bad of it. I just like how saying "I'm gay" sounds rather than saying "I'm lesbian." I can't say I really hate it, but, I just say gay, or if I'm like joking, I'd say "Im a homooooo" but, rarely do I say lesbian, even though I just said it at least 10 times now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do think it can be used in a funny way if used by the right person in the right tone (usually the person themself or a trusted close friend). I like to call myself Lebanese, a lesbatron, or ecstatic (because guys are called gay which means happy!) at times joking around. I do think there is an equivalent to the word "fag" for girls: "dyke" which is just as bad. Lesbian can be used maliciously at times but I think it's just a word that in general some people don't like to call themselves.

Dan good idea! lol.

9. CelticRae

I have always thought the word lesbian sounded ugly. Its not nearly as fun to say as gay, Tra la la I'm gay yippy!!! It has a much more fun ring to it than lesbian. Hi I'm GAY :slight_smile: Hi Im a LESSSSSBIIIIANNN.:dry: Yuck not as fun. I like to say I am sapphiclly inclined:icon_wink or I just say I am gay.

10. Just Passing

I'm clearly not a woman, but I will say that if I were female, I would have no issue with lesbian as a term. It always sounded kind of cool to me. :slight_smile:

11. BudderMC

I totally forgot about dyke for some reason. :eusa_doh:

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually come out to people as gay. I really never have liked the work lesbian. I think that it might be because when I was in school, kids made fun of some of my female teachers by calling the lesbians.

13. FJ Cruiser

Aye to everything said!

14. secretguyX

I hate the word lesbian too, and any forms of that word (lezbo, lez, lezzie), or dyke. For some reason I hate all female associated gay terms, but any male associated gay terms (gay, fag, homo, queer) aren't that bad to me. I don't know why. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Deaf Not Blind

It is definitely on my least favorite words list. I am gonna guess it is how it sounds. Gay is like YEAAA! Which is a happy positive sound and rather short.
    LEZZZ, BEEE, yahn. It is three times as long, and words containing sounds similar include Fez, dread, frizbee, and letch. the last is rather negative in connotation. Noun 1. letch - man with strong sexual desires
    lech, lecher, satyr
    degenerate, deviant, deviate, pervert - a person whose behavior deviates from what is acceptable especially in sexual behavior

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2012 at 12:44 AM ----------

as in woman-lunatics! :grin:

i didn't say that. ^ HE did! SWEAR!

(and i love Queer! and gay is fine too. So Im gonna call you STRAIGHTY!)

16. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate that word, too! It just sounds...weird...and like it's some kind of disease. I prefer "gay" as an umbrella term to refer to all things LGBT.

17. oblina

Me and my girlfriend talked about this when I was coming out to my family! The word "lesbian" has just a heavy feel to it, when you say it it kind of clunks. We use the term gay, because it just sounds better! It doesnt mean that you arent a lesbian, that word is just weird. Some people just like some words, I prefer to say im a lady rather than a woman, the word woman just freaks me out, but that doesnt mean I'm not one! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Meh.

One thing l do think is stupid, frankly is when women treat lesbian as an entirely seperate identity and actually distance themselves from the word "gay". This seems more like an attempt to make a political/social statement.

So my first instinct is to call myself gay, l wouldn't be upset if someone called me a lesbian though.

---------- Post added 19th Jul 2012 at 01:04 PM ----------

xD l actually very strongly dislike queer. Do not find it offensive at ll, l don't know if there is an English word to describe how it makes me feel. l am a native speaker lol, l just don't have the word.

#18 OMGWTFBBQ, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  19. julia

I don't hate it, I just prefer gay because I'm not a lesbian, I'm just gay.

20. TraceElement

I prefer to introduce myself as gay, instead of lesbian.You know how there's that awkward word or 2 that you just don't like? I most frequently hear the word "moist" as an awkward word not liked. I find the same thing with lesbian.