1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something that I've noticed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicMan12, Jul 12, 2012.

1. MusicMan12

Hello everyone! Haven't posted in a long time, but this is just something I've noticed. Nothing too important, I just found it interesting.

Has anyone else noticed that most people associate the sentence "I like Lady Gaga" with the sentence "I'm gay"? This really bugs me, because I really like Lady Gaga and I feel like I have to keep it a secret so that nobody finds out I'm gay...at least until I'm ready. But whenever someone asks me what music I listen to I always have to lie on the fly.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem haha. It sometimes annoys me how everyone assumes everyone who likes lady gaga is gay. I mean, I know most of her fanbase is LGBT, but there have to be SOME straight people who like her

2. IrisM

I know where you are coming from on this. I have special headphones which insulate the sound from outside because the idea of someone hearing my music terrifies me. I was caught listening to my stuff once while at work, since we were allowed mp3 players and was instantly shunned by nearly all of my coworkers after that. That's Wal-Mart for you. Don't miss that job. >.>

3. BudderMC

I'm not gonna lie, I've yet to meet a straight person who really likes Lady Gaga. I mean, I know people who like a few songs because they were Top 40 (like me), but I don't know anyone who's straight and likes her more than that.

I'm sure the straight fans exist, but they're very much the minority IMO.

4. Level75

As of this reply, her Facebook page has about 52,600,00 "Like"s. Among her Likes, 12 of my Friends like her. Of those 12, 6 are women. 4 are gay guys. And 2 are straight guys.

That probably is a very poor representation of her fanbase, seeing as those 4 gay guys are 4 out of all- oh, I don't know- 6 gay guys on my Friendlist.

I'm certain those 2 straight guys that Like her though are genuinely straight. One of them always seemed to favor electronic sounding music though. The other is kind of a Top 40 geek. And they have huge lists of music they Like and have hidden Lady Gaga somewhere in there. A couple of the gay guys though put her right at the top. You know, where everybody just doing a brief scan of somebody's Likes page can immediately see it.

So yeah. I'd say some of Lady Gaga's fans are straight. There's nearly 52,600,000 of them for God's sake. They probably less readily admit it than gay guys though.

5. Ridiculous

I would like to point out that straight females do, indeed, exist :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

6. SkyDiver

I know tons of straight girls who absolutely adore her.

7. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :confused: Maybe "Fan of Lady Gaga" is going to be the new expression that replaces "Friend of Dorothy" (discussed a few days ago) ?

8. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    11 of my straight guy fb friends like Lady Gaga. There are straight guys out there that enjoy her music but her music is usually associated with gay people. Out of my friends, most of the people that like her are straight girls or LGBT people. But there are straight guy fans out there. I get what you're saying though. I don't like to say I'm a fan of anything that sounds "gay" unless I'm out to the person.

9. BudderMC

Err, derp. I definitely was thinking only guys when I wrote that. Straight guy fanbase is probably very, very small. Straight girl fanbase I can see being bigger, but I still don't personally know any who like her like that.

10. Level75

I was only thinking of guys too. Girls have always had more leeway to break away from gender norms, so it's less suspect if they like pop music. Especially Lady Gaga.

There's only 1 friend of mine who sings praises from the mountaintops when it comes to Lady Gaga though. Yes, he's a homo.

11. SkyDiver

That was an entertaining visual. :lol:

12. DrummerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My brother loves Lady Gaga (he has all her albums and there isn't one song on them he doesn't like) and he's completely straight.

13. MusicMan12

Oh yeah I like pop music in general (Rihanna, Nicki minaj, Katy Perry, etc) and that pretty much screams "GAY" for some reason too.

Btw I've loved reading these responses! :slight_smile:

14. bob94

My older brother like Lady Gaga! And he's straight and very homophobic. Seriously, we've jammed out to Bad Romance together before. Hmmmm.....could he be gay??? Lol!

Edit: I just checked my Facebook to see which of my friends "like" her. Out of the 24 that do, only two of them are guys....and I've suspected that both of them are gay before.

#14 bob94, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  15. Night Rain

OK, out of 42 of my friends who "liked" her page, 13 are male, 5 of which are definitely gay, 4 I suspect are (2 of them rumor has it that they were/are a secret couple), 1 shows some signs, 1 I doubt is gay, the last one I know so little about and he apparently has a girlfriend. Oh, and there's 1 confirmed lesbian.

16. PuzzlePieces

most of my straight friends freaking LOVE her,,believe me, not just gay guys like her..o.o

17. Sherri

Maybe it's just that she's so weird now that it's hard to comprehend how anybody but gays could still love her :lol:. I'm only half-joking. I really liked her first two albums but this new one.. not so much. It's too much random weirdness and not enough catchy goodness. As her gay fan base has grown, her songs have kind of declined.

Lady Gaga is a HUGE gay icon, though, and she does it on purpose. It definitely isn't a bad thing. Au contraire, it's good that people have somebody who cares that much about their cause whom they can look up to. Still, it isn't really all that surprising that Gaga is synonymous with Gay.

18. Just Passing

If it's any consolation, I'm gay and don't like Lady Gaga's music. I escaped the trend it seems.

19. Chickzak

:lol: I suppose its a good measure of who's likely to be gay and who's not XD
    I think if there's a time I want to come out to my friends, but feel embaressed or shy or anything to say "I like girls".. I'll just say I love Lady Gaga's music.
    :grin:.. easy

20. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

Out of my friends, 28 like her. Most of those 28 are LGBT. Only about 6 of those are straight, all of which are female =)