1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Scene - Gay Events -Gay Pride

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Right is there any gay scene or gay event or gay pride that doesn't have gay guys dressing up as women as such. I should get more involved in the gay scene if I'm ever going to make friends but sadly I just cannot get past these gays who do this. I don;t what it is they just don't float my boat and I well, I wouldn't say I absolutely hate them, but I don;t like them either.

It just makes me feel awkward when I see pictures of them and as such I've taken quite a dislike to them. I know some of them maybe only doing it for that one day like pride events and such but sorry, I just cannot get involved in the gay scene if this is what the majority does

Sorry if I offend anyone. I'm stating my opinion and whether you agree or disagree. I'd like to know your thoughts

2. Just Passing

I don't like the idea of going to Gay Pride, if only because I shouldn't need to present my sexuality in such an irritating way to other people and that it looks more tacky than appealing, but from what I can gather, I doubt there are events that will specifically fit an ideal vision, whatever it may be.

Although I think gay guys dressing up as women is part of the celebration and one that is probably difficult to avoid if at all. What we have to remember is most Gay Pride celebrations encompass everyone from gay guys to lesbians to transgendered individuals, so there will be no way to pick and choose.

I could very much be wrong, but this is how I see it. And don't worry, you weren't being offensive. :slight_smile:

3. sanguine

To express who you are without shame is bravery and should be respected, because no coward would have the balls to stand up for who they are in a pride parade

look at it this way, the world already ridicules them for dressing all feminine and blah blah blah, I dont think its fair that we as the LGBT give them a hard time about it either, no one should ever be put down for feeling good about being themselves.

respect and understanding goes a long way

besides not everyone who goes to pride/events/scene are like that

#3 sanguine, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  4. lilbitlost

Yep exactly this. Went to london pride a weekend or so back going to my local pride in sept. Most people at the parade wore entirely normal clothes, people there from all walks of life, old, young, punk, femme, butch, grunge and everything in between. Im not sure why you think pride would be full of guys dressed as girls, theres a few walking the parade sure, but not many compared to the large crowd.

Also i have full respect for those guys wearing womens clothing or skimpy clothing or the gorgeous festival outfits (with feathers and everything) because it takes a hell of a lot of guts to do it. Its not just showing up to show your support or saying your proud, its screaming it!

Why are you bothered by a couple of flamboyant guys anyhow? Do you think they are all gonna come chasing after you or something? :lol:

5. BudderMC

My thoughts?

Since you've never been to "gay places", what you're seeing is the media representation of these places and the LGBT community. Pride, for example, certainly isn't just for the super stereotypically flamboyant "I want to dress up crazily" type of people; hell, families and children go every year. It's those type of people that manage to grab the media's attention because they DO grab attention (I mean, come on, look at them), and secondly because it makes for good (read: entertaining) news coverage. Good news coverage doesn't mean that it's accurate.

If people like you and I and all the rather average people don't show up to events like these, people are going to continue to live with this misconception that events like Pride are only for super flamboyant people. Just like we should be open about ourselves so we can break down LGBT stereotypes, we should also openly participate in gay events to break down the stereotypes surrounding the events.

Point is, these events aren't all like that. You can go and not dress like a woman. Nobody's gonna ask you to. But I've seen you posting before about how you're going to be lonely and aren't social enough and stuff... well, sitting around and avoiding events that were designed for our specific community isn't doing anything good. It certainly doesn't help you, doesn't hurt them... only hurts yourself. So give it a shot. You'll probably find they're much more "normal" than you'd expect, and hey, you might actually have fun. :slight_smile:

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'll start by saying that there really isn't such a thing a teh "gay scene" or anything close to that. There isn't just one single thing that every single gay person does because we are gay. Just like there isn't one single thing that all straight people do.

Yes, drag queens can be hard to get used to at first for various reasons, but its really not a big deal. It will probably be impossible to go to a gay club or pride without seeing one, so in that part you are going to have to either get over it or not go. Either one works.

There are more things and activities out there than just gay clubs and pride though. And heck, pride is only one day a year. What do you think gay people do every other day? Its all just average, boring days like everyone else.

This video might be a bit harsh, but it really sums up my feeling on the subject.
    [YOUTUBE]0_OQeA3GiRw[/YOUTUBE]

7. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm literally in two minds about this one... Because there are two sides to this particular question.

And they think there's a "Gay Agenda..." I just imagine, you know, me, Alexa the Drama Queen, Bob From the LCR HQ, Cecile the Political Lesbian, ... ..., Griffin The Invisible Ma str8-married bi, and so on locked in a room drafting the damn thing. Not agreeing on the time of day all the way through.

And yet, we want, nae, we crave, we DEMAND acceptance from the straight world. As if we really accepted ourselves already. We constantly re-invent some kind of normative pyramid instead, we refuse to accept and co-operate with each other and so on.

I don't ask you to date a drag queen, But really, why are you so averse to them that you don't want even to be in the same parade as one? Do you think they have cooties, or what?

Sincere apologies for overly dramatic and a bit snarky jeremiad, I didn't mean to offend, but... ... No offence meant.

... Unloading module: DQAlexa.obj
    ... Unload successful.
    ... Loading module RegularGuy.obj
    ... Initializing.

All right. I won't argue with you, everyone entitled to their personal dislikes, pet pevees and notions. It's all well and nice to say what you don't want, and you did that eloquently enough, and I sort of understand where you're coming from. You want to meet and befriend other guys like you, and all you can see with a cursory search is all those xtreem types (if it's activism) and sex maniacs (if it's "gay dating scene.")

But, there's that handy "you're not just your sexuality" angle. Where people with everything else you would've liked in a friend/partner are? Can you beout at those places? I don't care what it is, there MUST be other gay people there. Yes, it's slower. But any chances to encounter any excess fabulosity are close to zero too.

And, as everyone else said, frankly, most of all that stuff is exaggerated by the media (remember, "dog bites man" and all that.) You can find non-queenish types easily enough.

#7 WeirdnessMagnet, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  8. Having gone to my first Pride parade this year (I'm going to use this excuse for awhile) I can assure you that yes, there will be SOME drag queens, BUT! There will be more regular-average-run of the mill type guys.

Think of it like a sports game. There are the people who completely cover their bodies in team colours. Then there are some who just wear a jersey, maybe a little tattoo, THEN, there are some people who just wear regular clothing. Nothing that really shows which team they like.

Same type of thing for Pride. People who are dressed (or naked), to the nines with glitter, really outrageous flamboyant clothing. Some just have a few accessories on, bracelets, hats, etc. Then some who are just there for the fun, without needing to show it off.

I'd been out for 3 years prior to me going to my 1st Pride because I used to think the same thing. "Oh, I'm not going to fit in there." I tell you what. If you get a chance to go, just do it once and then you can judge. Even just go for an hour, it's not like you're forced to stay there. You can leave at will. I promise no drag queens will kidnap you and force you to stay. ^_^ Btw drag queens are awesome! They're really fun! Everyone else is really happy, and fun. It's an experience if anything else.

And if you really don't like those things, that's completely fine. :grin: