1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble finding psych info

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KnightAssassin, Jul 13, 2012.

1. KnightAssassin

So i just get bored and wonder things like is stuttering related close to any other disorder like depression bipolar or twins have a higher chance of depression because one is usually over looked or mistaken for the other more often than not ... Or stuff like that ... More like pop psych questions so i wonder if any of you know general places to starty searches cause Google kinda sucks for that ..... So i am pretty sure you can post psych sites but just in case pm me until a admin or mod posts here to be safe.

2. BudderMC

I'd guess stuttering is an anxiety thing, to be honest. But I've never learned or heard anything about it, that's pure speculation.

Seriously though, there are so many different branches and approaches to psych I guarantee you could find something to justify what you're looking for. And then while you're on those psych sites, look up "confirmation bias", because that's what you'd be experiencing :wink:

Anyway, the point is that it's a really bad idea to self-diagnose yourself with something. More often than not you aren't completely correct because you're biased towards what you're looking for, and depending on the severity of whatever you think you do (or don't) have, it could actually be dangerous.

People seem to swear by this MayoClinic site though for general health stuff. If you could find an online copy of the DSM or something, that'd probably be better though.

EDIT: My social psych prof last term, after teaching us a whole bunch of the subconscious/automatic mechanisms our brain employ, pretty much told us to not even bother trying to analyze what we're doing... psychoanalyzing yourself (I mean really, really trying to) just confuses the shit out of you and probably isn't good in the long run. There's a reason those things are subconscious; we aren't supposed to know about them. Though that's a bit off-topic, and just my opinion on things.

#2 BudderMC, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem to post informational sites about psychology topics as long as it's not, for example, a discussion board or social media community where you have the same username or otherwise you're linking to your profile on such a community. If your interests are purely for personal curiosity, then you can probably find a bunch of info on such sites.

If you want more academic/scientific research, you might go to your local library and search one of the psych databases that brings up journal articles from the various psych journals.

And, as Budder said... if this is relating to your own personal issues, best to not try and diagnose yourself :slight_smile:

BTW: Great insight, BudderMC, from your prof. :slight_smile: A lot of people don't understand that but it's really true.