1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faggots, Losers and Wimps: A Treatise on Gender, Society and “Real Men”

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mogget, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Mogget

2. vyvance

Nice read.

3. Caoimhe Fayre

interesting to read.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Money quote found: "The bigotry toward the LGBT community comes from one, single, solitary source. Religion. Period. End of story."

One thing that I think it important about this article is just that men need to resist the conditioning to police each other. That would make us feel safer to be who we are, and at the same time, it would reduce sexism.

#4 Pret Allez, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  5. Mogget

Not really. The article's about a whole lot more than bigotry towards the LGBT community. And it doesn't exclusively blame religion for the modern construct of masculinity, which is what the article is about.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get that. It seems to be more about who men are conditioned to police one another.

7. Vanc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That was really insightful. Thanks for sharing with us!

8. Zontar

This really drives the point home. I constantly feel belittled because of my sexual status, thanks in no small part to society's definition of what a "real man" should be.

This media plague is everything responsible for virgin-shaming, slut-shaming, and homophobia. This constant pressure to "score" is asinine.

9. Deaf Not Blind

so...
    what are we gonna do about it?

just complain here?

1st don't watch TV if it is offensive.
    2nd write to companies who have billboard or magazine ads as well, because they say for every handwritten letter (not email) sent in, they assume 10 people feel same way. Thus 20 EC members = 200 humans.
    3rd don't accept the message and do tell your family and friends when they are acting on media-training brainwashing.

Ask yourself this: who makes this, who is it targeting, and what is the end game plan?

10. GingerGuy

Wow, I thought I had already gotten my fair share of depression for today.

I was bullied long before I knew I was gay. Looking back, sometimes I still think it was all my fault, for acting very feminine-like. I finally managed to stop it by hitting that asshole back, and although subtle insults continued, I still got quite teased until I changed schools.

Trust me: no matter how bad being insulted on a regular basis is (thankfully, I was never hit physically. Not that it wasn't bad enough), the psychological damage is much stronger and remains. Do you guys want to know when did I make my first real friendships? At 14. I always had self-esteem problems, always had a hard time making friends, always acted the way I believed others wanted me to act in order to please them. And this gave me many years of loneliness. Only a while ago my life truly got better, when I told the world to go fuck itself and that I would start saying what I wanted to say, wether others liked it or not. Some people stopped talking to me( as if I cared; they were never friends), and others, the ones who had similar interests and behaved the same way I did, ended up becoming my friends.

Still, I know that many others never manage to overcome the abuse they suffered. They still feel worthless decades later, and even killed themselves. We truly live in a sick society, that is hypocritical enough to punish people no matter what they do. Thankfully, I learned what truly "manning up" is before it was too late: to truly became a man (and a woman instead of a spoiled little girl) is to fully accept responsibility for your actions, and also to do things for yourself first, and then for others if you feel like they deserve it. But never live to please others, or try to find in with people who you know will shun you just because they are perceived as better.

11. Deaf Not Blind

your life is my life. Bullied daily by everybody and adults didn't mind it at all. Then they followed me to next school, and one came to a third school! finally i went to middle school and slowly things got better. not including a rare one at church that moved away or at home, my friendships didn't even really start until high school, cuz it felt like pity friends I had in 4th 5th and 6th.

i bet they became HR managers. :/