1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Makes Your Heart Sink?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musikk021, Jul 16, 2012.

1. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's that harrowing feeling where you actually feel your heart grow cold. In an instant, it feels like there's ice beginning to encase your heart, and at the same time, it feels like it sinks inside your chest and suddenly you feel cold and hollow. Sometimes, your head starts spinning, too. Do you ever experience that? If you do or did, what is it that causes/caused it? It's the worst feeling :icon_sad:

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    had that:

when the planes hit the buildings
    during the japanese tsunami
    during the boxing day tsunami

so i guess disasters do it for me

3. Night Rain

Oh yes, when I'm really down and someone says something unintentionally hurtful, or forgets about me, ignores me in a conversation. My whole body feels the chills too.

Sometimes, even when I feel really good and awesome, mom complains about our financial difficulties on the phone with someone, and I suddenly lose all inspirations. I feel crushed under the pressure of responsibility she unknowingly creates.

Or when I hear about the loss of someone close to me, or when I realize something was stolen from me. xD

4. SunSparks

I know that this is a rather common reason to a lot of people but illness and early death. Whether I know them or not, whether they make my life more difficult or not, who ever they are and what they might have done to me, I can't stand the thought of it... I'm seriously crying by posting this and I'm not even thinking about anyone

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had that feeling right after the recent major storm hit my house. There was a ton of damage. 99% of my town was w/o power...

I also get that feeling when I'm not looking forward to doing something.

6. frigid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thunder. It's terrifying. That and just the usual seeing-him-with-someone-else type stuff. :tantrum:

7. Level75

I'm sleepy right now. And when I'm sleepy, I think depressing thoughts. It's one of the reasons I hate to have to go to sleep at night. Naps are Ok because they just happen. But sleep is usually deliberate.

I often tell people that I'm making a deliberate effort these days to be more outgoing because, a few years ago, I had this fear that I could go on the rest of my life just sitting at home all by myself. Just going home after work and having no one to talk to. No one to do things with. Because, after high school, after college, and after my first job, I never really had any friends that just stuck. I was pretty much a loner who kept to myself. I thought I was Ok with that, but at some point, I just suddenly because depressed about it.

For the last 2 years, things have really been different. I've been meeting a lot of new people. I've been finding new things I enjoy doing. And, in the last 2 months, I started meeting up with a pretty cool group of people every other week. These days, I just feel like part of their circle, which is something that's never really happened to me before.

At the back of my mind though, I have this fear that this isn't real and it isn't going to last. Because this sudden change in my approach to relating to people now runs contrary to pretty much everything that has come before.

Thing is, I'm happy with the way things are now. But, sometimes, I have this paralyzing thought like "This isn't really who you are. You're just fooling yourself into thinking you can get along well with others. And, in the end, you're going to end up alone again." It's a thought that makes my blood run cold.

That was pretty personal. But like I said, when this thread came up, it was actually on my mind at the very moment because I'm getting sleepy again.

8. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Whenever my boss calls my name I get that feeling. Her office is off to the side, around a corner, and I can't see into it from my desk. So I never know what fresh hell she's prepared for me until I get there. It literally feels like I'm walking into a cave filled with a dangerous wild animal or something. The last time my heart truly sank though was when I accidentally dropped my brand-new Michael Kors watch on a hardwood floor. It was alright in the end though, so no big deal...

9. Level75

On a lighter note, and going along with Kidd's work-related response, my blood also runs cold when I'm at work and the caller ID's last 4 numbers are 1546.

Then I know I'm in for 30-45 minutes of listening to one of our resident's guardians whining and soap box preaching.

10. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I feel the same way, too. I'm a super shy person, and the friends I do have, I have a hard time keeping them because I never open up and it's hard to talk about anything. Especially since I'm not out, and it's a really big part of who I am, it's hard for me to have any friendships since they're always so shallow and based on surface conversations.

I've always been a loner, too. I had one really close friend (who I was also in love with and still am), but long story short, she cut me out at one point and I fell into a deep depression. Freshman year of college, I made a great group of friends in the first couple weeks of school. I was so excited, yet at the same time, I couldn't believe it was happening. Then when I started getting really close to a couple of my friends and I started to really care about them, I got scared that I would eventually lose them so I pushed them away. I didn't want to be hit by another loss the way it happened before with the girl I love; so instead, I chose to control the situation this time. I thought that by distancing myself and pushing my friends away on my own terms, they wouldn't get to leave me unexpectedly. Sophomore year, I was a complete loner. Had 1 friend but didn't make any new ones, and spent all my time going to class and going back to my room to work. I thought I'd be okay being alone all the time too, but I realized that it makes me too depressed. It makes me an angry and irritable person when I'm isolated too long.

I fear that I'm gonna be alone forever. I'm torn between feeling like it'd be better to be alone since I won't have to deal with people's crap and deal with being disappointed and heartbroken versus having people in my life and most likely getting hurt one way or another by every one of them. Besides, I feel like no one would ever love me or want to be with me anyways.

I'm glad you found a group of people to be with. Just try not to overanalyze things and just go with it. Be grateful you're a part of something.

11. PuzzlePieces

My veins freeze to shards of ice when I think of my Dad. It's a very complicated relationship. I think he loves me, but doesn't WANT me. I know my younger brothers don't understand. My Dad's parents don't understand. My friends don't. It makes my heart drop to my feet beacause I love my dad and I wish he wanted me. I wish people could relate to me, but my Dad is the person who has caused me the most pain in my whole life. My veins freeze, my heart drops, and my chest feels hollow and caved in.

12. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    * TO ADD TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION *

How is it that our bodies can feel this way? I mean, how do our bodies create such a biological response? I mean, I know like when you're nervous, you may start sweating and shivering and other emotions can prompt over biological responses. But it's so weird how the heart just grows cold like it's freezing over, and it feels like it's sinking and hollowing your chest out.

13. Totoro

Okay so first to answer the heart sinking question: The future of my life makes my heart sink. Scared yet excited about graduating and getting out into the real world.

And in terms of how this is a biological response. If I recall correctly I think the heart sinking feeling has to do with adrenaline being produced, causing your blood to flow faster, breath heavier, and you enter a trance of Fight or Flight. You're in a state of readiness. I think that's the kind of feeling you get. Heart beating faster etc,. I might be wrong though.

14. Night Rain

I just got so disheartened after reading a "debate" about atheism, science and religions. I'm sure there are intelligent and religious people out there, but the one I see defending religions are either very clueless about science or downright ignorant...

15. bob94

I feel that way when I hear people make homophobic remarks. So I pretty much get that feeling at least once a day since my dad is constantly saying hateful things like that. It gets so frustrating and tiring.

16. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hearing about someone dying in their late teens really gets to me.

17. IrisM

Looking in the mirror.
    When someone makes a bigoted comment at work. (This happens often all day long, and I can't respond for now because they'll ask questions I'm not ready to answer to them yet.)
    Those few moments after I've gone to bed where I can't escape my sad thoughts.
    When people use aggression to 'solve' problems rather than trying to talk it out.
    Making eye contact with anyone.
    Large disasters that hurt or cause problems for many.
    When George W. Bush was elected and elected again. (See: Large Disasters.)

18. BudderMC

When bad things happen to good people. When really bad things happen to bad people.

19. LSunday

During the school year, when my Dad calls my brother. My brother has an atrocious track record with work, so it's almost always to yell at him for not handing in any work for a month.

It always makes me feel awful because I know immediately after they're done talking my dad is going to check on me and if everything in my room isn't perfect I'll get some talk about not working as well.

20. Mercy

Mercy Guest

When someone says they love me Then abandones me