1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's lonely here in my closet...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grizzleybear33, Jul 16, 2012.

1. grizzleybear33

Obviously im in the closet but dont want to come out right now...im a to be senior in hs. So ill just wait till next year in college. I have plenty of friends but none close enough or gay that I can just talk to. Any advise or things you did to help you through would be awesome. Thanks :/

2. BornThisway44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    all i can say is tell everyone you know as soon as possible. I had many people turn there backs to me when i told themand it hurt. It hurt becuase i spent alot of time with these people family included. However i would rather severe a tie early than to work on a relationship/friendship that will shortly crumble becuase of my "truth" I believe the earlier you do it the better off you will be you may face some hard time but know "I" can always be reached here and will support you.

3. AwEsOmEoNe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I pretty much told all my friends. If im friends with them and trust them then I told them. It makes it so you feel more open with out actualy being open :slight_smile:

4. grizzleybear33

Just a little bit of info...I for to a Jesuit highschool and mostly everyone is catholic(including me). How do you think everyone will take it? There are no open gays either so I can't really test the water before I jump in.

#4 grizzleybear33, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  5. Gen

Gen

Its really your choice. On one hand you could come out now and risk it. Or you could wait and do it next year. Both are in there only way valid choices.

Personally, I would wait to "officially" come out. Because there is a chance that your friends would not take the news well. I believe that just because people are negative to the fact that you are gay doesnt mean that they are automaticly bad people. I would assume that since they are your friends they are good people somewhere inside, but so many people are raised in families that teach or imply to their children, that homosexuality is not ok. In my opinion just because they were raised simple mindedly isnt really thier fault.

However, that is not to say that you should hide yourself. You will only truly feel "in the closet" if your intentionally keeping it from people. We arent asked to report our sexually to the government. Act as you please. Dress as you please. Be yourself. If people wonder than thats them, but dont hide anything. Dont act like your interested in girls when your not. Heck, you could act disgust if you want :slight_smile:. You dont have to give people a written contract or formal speech because your gay. If it comes up with the people you close to you than sure tell them if you are ready.

6. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

I'm in the same position as you, about to be a senior in high school, and haven't come out to anyone yet. I'm waiting till college to fully come out, just because I don't want to come out to the kids I go to high school with. I am planning on telling my first person in the next few weeks though, but I won't see them much because they're a year above me.

What I do when I feel lonely or sad is go on various gay forums (ECs my favorite) or I watch gay youtubers. If you're interested in who I watch send me a message and I can give you some good ones.

7. BudderMC

I'll vehemently disagree with this. What I've learned in social psychology with regards to attitudes and behaviours would state that people who know you before coming out are more likely to remain in your life afterwards, even if they dislike it. That's not to say you won't have some people who won't understand and want to cut you out, but they're less likely to do that.

Additionally, and this is just personal opinion, I don't want to lead with "I'm gay". There's so much more to me as a person than just liking guys, and I don't think that it's necessarily pertinent information in all of my relationships. Nor do I feel I need to tag that on when I'm meeting someone, almost as a disclaimer or warning: "Only be friends with me if you're cool with gay guys!"

Though of course, that's just my opinion. The important point is to come out however you feel most comfortable.