1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Lifestyle choices"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Night Rain, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Night Rain

Or sometimes just "lifestyle". Are you sick of hearing it? I just read a bunch of articles and those words kept popping up, to the point that every time I saw one, I'd immediately dismiss the poster as an ill-informed individual, and have a good laugh, then feel sad because there were so many of them.:bang:

2. LailaForbidden

In a word, yes. It drives me insane. I just feel like screaming "it not a lifestyle choice! its not a choice at all! Or even a lifestyle. Its just who I am"

3. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if it were a choice it wouldn't matter. Consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want, so long as no one is getting hurt. Straight people sometimes choose to marry without having kids. It isn't suddenly immoral, just because it's a choice on their part.

The only objection to homosexuality is based on religion, and it has nothing to do with whether it's biologically programmed or not.

These people are not going to be convinced by the biological argument. They're the ones that often equate homosexuality to pedophilia, saying that even though pedophilia is programmed it isn't automatically acceptable, therefore homosexuality shouldn't be either. These were the people 50 years ago that didn't care if you were born black--they still considered it inferior. We need to fight these based on the idea of civil rights and equal protections for all human beings.

#3 Spatula, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I detest the phrase "gay lifestyle". I had one person inform me that she was okay with it (it being my gayness) because it was "my choice".

I told her a lifestyle choice is buying curtains for your bedroom, not having sex with another man.

5. Silvails52

I was talking with my parents about gays (they don't know) and they said that they disapprove of the "Gay lifestyle." They said that they believe homosexuality isn't a choice, but that pursuing those feelings is sinful and immoral. :bang:

6. Caoimhe Fayre

a more angry me would say: who are we to judge someone for being stupid? if that's their lifestyle, it's their choice, right?

but instead, I like to turn the tables in a slightly kinder yet still just as challenging way:

Well, I mean, you're right - and I don't judge straight people, either. I mean, who am I to judge someone for being straight? If that's their lifestyle, well, it's their choice, right?

---------- Post added 18th Jul 2012 at 01:24 PM ----------

*hugs*

I have heard the same, frequently. But why would God give us feelings and then require that we don't pursue them? :eusa_doh: it's rough when it's coming from your family. :frowning2:

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This. Even when people mean well I am extremely offended by one's word choice of "gay lifestyle." No such thing exists -.- ...

8. Peanuts

I had a discussion about this with my cousin-in-law. She couldn't wrap her head around the "gay lifestyle". I told her that it didn't make sense for people to choose to be gay, because they were taking a harder path in life, to which she replied, "I know! So why would you choose to be gay?" :eusa_doh:

I guess some people really just can't understand it.

Ugh. The Catholic Church's view is basically this. I really dislike the fact that it says we have no choice in an important part of living life, which involves relationships, love and intimacy. Instead, we're supposed to remain celibate and not act out on our feelings. :bang:

At least laypeople have a choice to become laypeople, therefore remaining celibate, but people who are LGBTQ don't. /frustration

9. SkyDiver

A gay "lifestyle" implies that every gay person lives the same way. Which is clearly not the case. It's really ignorant and annoying.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate this... I see this on facebook a lot. Many people that I am no longer friends IRL with (but I haven't deleted them yet.. ) post about gay people making a "lifestyle choice".

I don't understand why people would think that I chose to be gay. It makes complete since that I chose a harder path in life.(sarcasm)

11. secretguyX

One of my friends told me this too, which really pissed me off. Straight people don't "choose" to be straight, same as any other sexuality isn't "chosen" by the person.

12. Silvails52

Yeah. I try to ignore their views. I can't change it, but I live with it. One more month!

13. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ugh :slight_smile: Not a fan of that particular expression at all.

One more that I've heard from time to time is "preference", and when it's someone I can have a civilized conversation with, I'll calmly go into details about the fact that yes for some bi/pan people who may be attracted in some way to both sexes it can be referred to as preference but for "full-on gays" like me it's not something I choose. Part of it is education, and in recent times people looked like they were trying to use that word in a respectful manner without knowing it's a bit wrong :wink:.

14. Night Rain

Most of the time, it is used in some sentences like "why do we have to conform to your lifestyles choice?" or "it's your lifestyle choice, although we don't agree to it, but we respect you". It's the same laughable shit as "we hate you and want you to stay away from us, an die if possible, but apparently it's discriminatory to say so, so we just pretend to be civilized and say that we respect you, which we don't".

And yeah, why did I choose to be discriminated, to be denied of my rights and to be treated like some kind of abomination? These people don't have a clue what they're talking about.

15. Hypnotico

Hypnotico Guest

Thank you!! It's the most annoying thing ever! Choices, choices, choices, it's not an effin' choice!!! :bang:Yes, I'm mad :icon_bigg

16. King

King Guest

I'm not worried about it. I don't have anything to prove to people who think it's a lifestyle choice. The only time it'd piss me off would be if a family member said it was a lifestyle choice, because I spent so much time worrying and stressing and not telling them that they'd make it feel less then it is.

King x

17. SunSparks

ARGGGH! I don't approve of using the word, there are a lot of thing implied by it, as the people above have described. I feel like if they use the word because they don't understand, I would just try to explain why its wrong. However if they use the word because they truly believe it, then I don't bother because, like King said, it doesn't change anything. Its only their perception and it really doesnt matter what they think if they are too ignorant to try to understand.

18. TraceElement

It's silly. It's like saying I live the "drunk lifestyle" or "party lifestyle"... both of which aren't generally aren't used.

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what a "lifestyle" is? Choosing to like Twilight :slight_smile:

20. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I hate it when people call it a "lifestyle" or "lifestyle choice." It's like they just have to find some way to explain it so that it makes sense to them. It's not a "way of life"...it's just love!

I mean, would you call homelessness a "lifestyle"??? :tantrum: