1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Thandrami, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Thandrami

I have lived in the same city for almost my entire life. While it is a large city and people always assume there is something to do there really isn't for someone my age and even when i get older the only thing really is to go gamble, wander the strip (which i could do now i guess), or go to clubs. None of those things appeal to me.

So a few years back my aunt (who lives a few states over) said me and my brother could come live with her if we wanted to. And she has repeated this to us over the years to remind us we could.

I have been thinking about it recently. I think moving is good for a person. While I would be moving away from ALL my friends and moving to a place where I would never see them (even though I barely ever see them anyways) I think it might be beneficial to my health.

I think I could reinvent myself with the people around there. Start out telling them I am gay (I am fully out so my family knows) and living my life like that instead of having to live with people whom have always known me to be "straight".

I would probably barely ever see my parents if I did decide to move. Plus I would have to look for another job and register for school out there (after i have lived there long enough to meet residency requirements so I don't have to pay out of state tuition).

So while there are pros and cons to the situation I would like to know if you guys think moving would be beneficial.

2. starfish

So I live about 550 miles from my parents. I still make it home for a few visits a year.

I moved away from home about 4 years ago and it is the best thing I ever did. Now I am thinking about moving again.

Life to too short to live somewhere that you are not happy with.

3. From my perspective, I think moving and change is always a good thing. So as not to get complacent, and you get to discover more of this world.

I think some people get a little terrified at the fact that they are leaving their friends and family. But, they're still going to be in your life. There are other means of contact, but really just be thankful for the people you meet along your journey.

It is up to you. But, you're essentially reinventing your life, which is always a pro. Self-discovery, and self-improvment. And you can always meet new people where ever you go, as long as you open yourself up to doing so.

While it is your choice. I would say go for it, if that's what your heart desires and if it's readily available to you, seeing as how you'll get to stay with your aunt. The jobs will come, just as if you would have to search for a job where you live now.

I wish you luck whatever your decision!

4. SunSparks

For me, moving is a something that can be so uplifting. I haven't had the luxury of being able to call any one state or town my home, but I do know that moving can really change some people's lives - not always, but can.

For me, the idea of a fresh start, an exciting yet nerve wrecking experience can be a great way to not only get to live a new life but also to reinvent yourself and reevaluate yourself and work on different ways on making you better (like living healthier, pursuing your dream, etc).

Also, its not like your life in your home town will forever cease to exist... keeping in contact with people is as easy as it has ever been. Maybe not during the first year or so, as you get established, but you can always go back and visit. Also, some time away from parents can give you some freedom to do some things that you didn't have the courage to do with them around (if there were any things like that).

Obviously, there is a LOT of things that you must consider and take into consideration. No one can give you a definite answer and no one knows your entire life - only you can make the ultimate decision. Best of luck my friend!