1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would it be a faux pas to turn a pride flag into a skirt?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

So, I'm going to my first Pride parade next weekend (well, the first time I'll be going to Pride and also be out of the closet!! woot!). I'm super excited!!

I really want something Rainbow to wear, but I currently own nothing with the right colours. They sell Pride flags at my college bookstore, and I was thinking of buying one, and sewing a stretch band into one end to make a skirt (that I would wear over black short shorts, since it probably wouldn't be able to close).

But I was looking online to find instructions or suggestions on how to go about doing this and saw a post about "giggly white straight girls who make pride flags into skirts" and thought... that's not the image I want to portray... I mean, I really just want to be myself, and I'm really excited to be going to Pride, and I want something rainbow to wear...

should I just wait until I'm there and plan to spend a little money on something (I was planning to get myself something small that I could wear to school or something anyway, but I'm a second career student, so by definition I am broke) or would the making my own skirt thing probably be ok?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I've seen worse things done with pride flags. I think you'll be okay. :slight_smile:

3. IrisM

I don't see any problem with you making the skirt. The saying you found was probably people talking about those people who did so without knowing the meaning of the flag and the colours or what it represents. You, as a mature, responsible, and self aware individual in a pride parade would in fact be putting the colours to their intended use. To represent yourself and those like you, to show that you are unafraid and stand proud with your fellow GLBTQ.

4. lilbitlost

Ok ill admit im really curious! ^^
    As for the skirt, go for it! Or you could try something else with the flag, like chopping it up and sewing it onto jeans as patches.

5. you work the skirt girlllllll.
    who cares what anyone thinks, pretty sure no one will care there anyway lol :slight_smile:

im not sure if its the same in every town, but the prides i have been too there has nearly always been a stall where you can buy tshirts with the 'some people are gay get over it' slogan thing on and ones saying lesbian e.t.c and wristbands and things if you want to be more subtle. so you could buy something when youre there.

have fun :grin:

6. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Sounds acceptable to me. The post you mentioned specifically said "giggly white straight girls," implying that they were doing it without considering what the flag, and Pride in general, represents. As an LGBT person, that probably doesn't apply in your case.

7. Zontar

It's not like you're using the American flag or anything. I think you're okay.

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like the same spirit as me making a kilt with pink, purple and blue in the back of the pleats 9the outside is black to make them really pop)