1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've got the fidgets!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bobbgooduk, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok - I realize that I should be grateful I am on holiday, but I actually like working and I find it really hard to find keep myself "occupied" usefully.

My partner works from home, so I have to be thoughtful - no loud music, so I go out in the car and play Bach Organ Works so loud it makes my goosebumps stand up in a funny pattern on my arms.

I've tidied my bedroom, rearranged my books, sorted out a major backlog of paperwork, sorted out clothes I won't wear any more and taken them to the clothes bank.

I've been and had a blood-test done - amazing service here in the Netherlands. I drove to the doctor's and collected the form, drove to the hospital, queued, had my blood sample taken and drove back home. I was out of the house 50 minutes! I didn't even bleed after so no plaster (which I hate)

I've written some more of my autobiography (sounds pretentious, I know, but it's therapeutic rather than commercially-intended)

I've watched loads of films.

I've joined this group.

I've sorted out my photographs and put 15 in a multiframe, with another 15 waiting till I go to IKEA again.

I've done some work for school but guys - I've got another 5 weeks to go!!

What do you do when you're "at a loose end?"

Clean answers on a postcard, please! :help:

2. Catkin

This made me chuckle, it's funny how everyone longs for the holidays, but when they actually get here we don't know what to do with ourselves. Personally, when I am at a loose end I get out a load of books from the library, and get lost in them for the next week or so. Or I set myself projects (the more time consuming the better), like learning a new language, woodwork projects, gardening or just something totally random. Getting involved in sports is a great way to pass time too, especially ones that take a while, like hiking or cycling trips. You could find out if there are any volunteering oportunities near you, to stop you pulling your hair out with boredom. You could go on a trip and visit friends or family you haven't seen in a while. Can't think of anything else right now, what types of things interest you?

3. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner's parents are coming to stay for 5 days on Wednesday next week AND we're going back to the UK in August for my cousin's Wedding so I have those sorts of things on the horizon. We're taking the car so we can visit a few friends along the way - my partner hasn't been back to the UK for about 4 years - it will feel strange for him to be back.

I'm reading a Jonathan Safran Foer book at the moment and I have another two lined up.

Since I posted, I've been to the supermarket and the winestore to buy in for the visit - there was a free wine-tasting on. All ironic really as I hardly drink - two glasses of wine and a beer since Christmas!.

There is a project I would like to do BUT I need to buy sone materials for it and I don't get paid until Wednesday, which coincides with the visit so that will have to wait until between the visit and the wedding.

I agree with you, though - unless you are going somewhere specific during a holiday, the time can drag a bit, despite the fact that you look forward to the break so much.

We're going away to Sicily in October :thumbsup: