1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I make friends at work? ( o^o)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Waffles, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Waffles

Hi guys!
    So... today was my first day of work at my first job! All the workers there are around my age... the oldest was maybe in their early 20s. Everyone seems really nice... I would really like to make some new friends, but the problem is is that I have NO social skills. OTL
    Talking to people has never been my talent. But I really want to change that and actually MAKE friends. There were also some other shy kids who were in training too, but none of them were in.my training group. Ah geez... I'm rambling. ( ^_^);
    Basically, do you guys have any tips for a SUPER SHY fella like myself to make some new friends? How do I start a convorsation? It may sound silly, but I really don't know how. ( v_v)

Hugs for everyone! (>.w.)>

2. Level75

Depends. But if you are in any way connected to management, my answer is:

You don't.

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I have no idea how to make friends. All I can say is, don't be afraid to speak. Just be yourself- either they'll like you, or they're not worth your time.

4. BudderMC

^ that. I'm not gonna go into detail since I don't have my notes with me, but basically the psychological idea is that people in close proximity to one another are more likely to form friendships. Since they'll develop naturally as you see each other more and more, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be yourself; if they like you, they'll like you, and if they don't, they don't. So, being a little more outgoing, like just pushing your boundaries to maybe initiate convo once in a while, is probably fine.

Oh, and I think "don't be a d-bag" was pretty obvious, but I'd remember that too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Goober

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Gosh, I'm just like that. Socially awkward. :dry:

6. SunSparks

I'm kinda like that, I'm not exactly the person to start a conversation. But, for me, I just be myself and usually someone comes over and starts a conversation. Just be open to everyone and I'm sure you will find at least one acquaintance - stick to them and eventually, their friends will become yours. I find places like work to be a great place to make friends. Most people are pretty open to everyone - if you cant be the one to start a conversation, you definitely can be the one to continue it.

7. Cascade

When I first started my job I found that the best way to start conversations with coworkers was to ask how long they worked there, and then that led into more interesting stories about customers and so on. It's not too hard, you just need to be yourself.