1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll; what's your religion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PurpleCrab, Jul 22, 2012.

?

What is your religion?

1. Christianity

54 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. Islam

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. Hinduism

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Chinese folk religion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Buddhism

5 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Other

79 vote(s)
    56.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PurpleCrab

I was wondering about LGBT's people's faith in something, and how do their religion affects the way they perceive their sexual orientation/gender identity.

Example: Me, I'd choose "other" because my faith doesn't fit perfectly with any known religion even if it comes close to a few.
    As for how it affects my perceptions of me being bi and transgender, it only adds to the feel I have in my guts that's it's very natural and that it's exactly as it should be.

2. DhammaGamer

I am Buddhist.

1- To live is to suffer
    2- Suffering is caused by Desire
    3- Ending Desire will end one's suffering
    4- The path to end suffering is right view, right intent, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration

As a Buddhist and a transgirl, I am aware of the impermanence of the changes I seek to undergo. I am also aware that neither my body nor my mind are "self" but instead components of a system giving rise to the illusion of self. Although my desire for change is a source of suffering for me, I have not yet given up the lay person's worldly existence. I am not ready yet, to renounce this world and go into homelessness.

#2 DhammaGamer, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe that organised religion is a good idea, but I'm not completely atheist, so I guess I'm an agnostic.

Just out of curiosity why aren't Judaism or Sikhism on the poll? (They're 2 of the 6 major world religions, and you have the other 4...)

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would atheist/agnostic/irreligious go under "Other," then?

Edit: Oh and my perception would be that I'm the product of a complex array of chemical processes, constantly regulated by interaction with the world around me. Queer orientation included.

#4 Browncoat, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Greek Orthodox and was a "leading member" of my parish - parish treasurer.

When I decided I should be honest and "out" I had a meeting with my priest who was furious with me. He told me I had no right to expect to be happy, that life is a veil of tears and that I should deflect my "energies" into the service of others (by setting up a youth group he thought I should lead".

I told him that I wasn't prepared to be spoken to like a child being told off by the headteacher, that I could not believe that a loving father would want his son to suffer.

When he asked me whether I had "already given in to my urges" and I tod him I had, I was excommunicated and I've never been to church since.

I accept that every club has its rules, and if I break the rules, I should expect and accept the consequences, but I miss the community of the church, the people but not the rules.

I am a good person, irrespective of whom I sleep with, and I won't allow any relgion to rob me of that dignity.

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Catholic.

It's hard to figure out how people would react to me not being straight.. I know the churh I went to with my parents for years spoke out against homosexuality, but then the church me and my brother go to lately supports gays in every way possible. It's confusing.

But even though I haven't been as actively involved as I used to, and have been having some doubts about certain things, I could never turn my back on my faith.

7. SunSparks

Hinduism.

LGBTQ is a rather gray area in my religion. There are quite a few instances of LGBTQ and cross dressing in our holy books and ancient temples.

One thing to not is that many people believe in a third gender called a "Hijra." The gender is usually considered for those "with mixed male and female natures" (Source: Wikipedia), and is composed of all people that would fit into LGBTQ and gender nonconformity. Some people believe that Hijra's processes powers that allow them to bless or curse other people. There are a few gods and goddesses that encompass parts of LGBTQ community.

I for one feel lucky to not have such conflicting ideas. Although my faith may present ideas of equality in sexuality - that doesn't quite represent what many Hindu's belief is with the LGBTQ community. Many times, those who come out will be kicked out of their families. Some choose to join Hijra communities with others live on their own - usually in big cities.

Nevertheless, I my belief in my faith is something I can't see myself living without. Regardless of what some people may think, I know that under the provisions of my faith, I am equal.

8. aeva

Raised an atheist, remained an atheist. I don't have a problem with the spirituality of others, but the power (and the potentials of that power) of organized religion are absolutely terrifying to me.

9. Aldrick

I selected other. I was raised Southern Baptist, but ultimately as an adult became an atheist. I'm still an atheist.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am an atheist.

11. King

King Guest

Apatheist. Don't know, don't care. :slight_smile:

Born to a Protestant mother and Roman Catholic father, was baptized, went to church a few times and then my parents stopped taking me.

King x

12. Fiddledeedee

I'm Christian, and have been raised that way. I am associated with the Church of England, but I'd like to try going to services of other denominations at some point. I would also like to visit a mosque and a synagogue(sp?).

13. Stormy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Raised christian. Became an atheist. Went back to being a christian. Now I'm an atheist again. And I plan on staying that way. Atheism is the only belief system that fits my life style. I no longer feel comfortable attaching myself to dogma.

I do have a bit of an interest in Buddhism. It's a belief system I find really fascinating, but not enough to actually become a Buddhist.

14. Raised Catholic and became an atheist.

15. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an easy going christian. In other words I'm not the kind to try and shove my religion or the bible in someones face and tell them that they are going to hell. Where I live that's pretty rare. Oh, a good example last halloween people were handing out fliers to little kids who were trick-or-treating that said they were going to hell for celebrating it.. f*cked up right? :/

16. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I guess you could say I'm Agnostic; I grew up being forced into Roman Catholicism and my family was never friendly towards the LGBTQ community... Which is probably why I am the way I am towards Christianity in general. They tried to force me into it and I pushed back.

17. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm unsure. I guess I'd consider myself agnostic. But a better word for me would be Undecided.

18. BornAnew

I was born & raised as a Hindu but I'm an Atheist now and have been for the past 5 years really...well between an Atheist and having a belief in some higher force/energy. Wouldn't call it a religion though, I'm not sure what I'd call it.

*googles agnostic*

Yeah I might be Agnostic!

19. Ridiculous

Definitely atheist. Why don't we have an option! I'm not clicking other as it's not an "other religion", the entire point is that it isn't a religion.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, Jews are also other.