1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To live or not to live in a LGBT area?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PurpleCrab, Jul 23, 2012.

1. PurpleCrab

I've heard of those places. Near where I live, there are a few streets in the next big city (Montréal) that are very gay friendly, beautiful, and, well, very expensive.

Where my wife lived in the past she knew such areas and how it goes; when gay people move in, the value of the houses raise because they make it so pretty. Also, a community to help and protect who stands close together..! Sounds quite appealing to me!

Except that I'm not rich and can't live by those standards. At this point in my life I'm only a little backer at minimum wage plus tip and my salary makes us 3 live (me, my wife and my daughter) rather well because it's all very cheap here. I also love my job but I worry a bit about our kids growing in a closed minded environment.

I wondered.. in this site (EC) there is probably people who have that experience to share?

2. MusicIsLife

If you are concerned about your kids growing up in a closed-minded environment, given that I live near to you, I'd recommend the West Island if you cant afford the "gay friendly" area. I've lived all my life on and around the west island and have never felt threatened.

3. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have experience of living like that.

I came out when I was 40. I decided I wanted to meet someone but didn't want the heartache of hunting, trying to guess and getting hurt, so I joined a gay dating agency.

I specified that I wanted to meet someone who was happy in "mixed" company. I hate gays who are misogynistic, I didn't want to live in a gay ghetto (even if it is smart) and I didn't want to be part of the "scene" - I have nothing against it if that's what you want, but it wasn't for me. I want to be accepted in the real world, not tolerated because I keep to my own side of the street.

And so, I live out in the countryside in a tiny village where any partner and I are not only the only English in the village, we are also the only gays in the village.

People have been very accepting, we join in with everything and help others when they need it. People even wave when we drive past in the car.

This for me is perfect. I live in a place I chose, and not one where others decided they would leave me in peace. I'm gay, but I'm still ordinary, and I want to stay that way.

I think your daughter will learn all she needs to know from your attitudes, wherever you live.

4. PurpleCrab

Wow Bobbgooduk, that's just an admirable attitude you've got there. And I think you're right too.

5. SunSparks

Yea - I'm with Bobb... I've always thought of it that way. I would want to live somewhere not because of there are people like me all around but because I like the place. I think that wherever I would like to live, it has to be a place of diversity. To be honest, I might even get a bit annoyed being around people just like me all the time.

You don't necessarily need to live in a "gay suburb" or anything like that to be around open minded people. Close by to where I live, there is an amazing community full of open minded people. I'm not saying that there aren't people that live there that wouldn't approve of LGBTQ but in so many ways they are open to new ideas. And, they are so diverse. Coming from literally all over the world - there is such a rich sharing of culture and tradition there. That is were I would want to live.