1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite/least favourite languages?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rob999, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, I hope this thread doesn't turn into anything offensive, but what are the nicest and ugliest sounding languages in your opinion?

My favourites: Portuguese, Romanian.

My least favourites: Korean, Turkish, Afrikaans.

I also don't think Arabic sounds pleasant, but I still like the language (if that makes sense :/).

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My favorite languages are South Korean and Spanish. I think Spanish is the clearest language on planet Earth, but I love the way South Korean speakers sound.

I detest French (for its inefficiency) and English (my native language).

3. Mogget

I love English. It'sgrammatically simple, intelligible if you get the grammar wrong and can express tons of nuances and connotations with its thousands of subtly shaded synonyms.

German gets a bad rep but it can actually be quite beautiful.

Japenese is fascinating grammatically but sounds fairly meh to me.

French is the only language I can think of that I dislike, largely because of its bizarre spelling rules. Most of Engish's weird spellings are their fault.

4. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My favourites are Japanese and German. Japanese because of its richness, and because it is considered to be a very challenging language to learn. As for German, I just think it sounds sexy.

I don't dislike any particular language, but Portuguese annnoys me a little, because it sounds to me like badly spoken and odd Spanish (my native language), even though I understand it.

5. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I don't really like german, but romanian and greek have a nice sound, in my opinion. and even though latin is "dead"- i love that, too.

6. ryanninjasheep

Latin!

It makes you sound smart!

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i LOVE languages. I try to learn languages from any of my bilingual friends.

i am fluent in english and competent (but not totally fluent) in japanese. I have some conversational mandarin, russian, german, farsi, spanish, czech, and some tiny bits of some others.

Favourites: Russian, czech, polish, and essentially anything eastern european. They're beautiful to me. I also love middle eastern languages (especially farsi), subcontinental languages, most asian languages, essentially anything. Actually, there are very few languages i don't love.

I'm not a huge fan of the romance languages... French, italian and spanish don't sound pretty to me at all, like they do to most people, and i find the grammar convoluted and the sound just... irritating. Sorry, there's no other word for it! Portugese seems much nicer than those three. German grammar is just as annoying but it sounds nicer to me.

My favourite written languages are sinhalese and japanese. Written sinhalese is spectacular. Written japanese appeals to my anal-retentive side, it's essentially 100% phonetic.

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's some sinhalese:

[​IMG]

Isn't it beautiful???

9. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the sound of Italian - it's so melifluous

I like my own language - English - because it is so adaptable and has such a rich and varied literature as it is spoken in so many different countries and cultures.

I don't like the sound of Arabic, but that is probably because the only Ariabic I get to hear involves some tin-pot politician or cleric wagging his finger and issuing threats and condemnations.

10. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my favorite language so far has to be japanese my least favorite is spanish i feels its boring and over-used here in texas lol

11. timo

I like English cause you can talk to pretty much EVERYONE, and in the basics it's a fairly easy language.
    Another one: I love how the Georgian language looks.
    [​IMG]

My least favourite is French, no doubt about that. Weird grammar, weird spelling, and in general it's spoken SO FAST like they only say half of the words.
    Also don't really like German, it's quite a bit like Dutch but it sounds so much more agressive. Can't really explain it.

12. SydneyChick

SydneyChick Guest

I have a thing for Spanish and Italian.
    Australian accents are pretty great though, if I must admit.. but of course accents aren't a language.. haha.
    Japanese, Chinese and such are my least favourites; we hear them a lot in Sydney, it's quite annoying.

13. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Grappig Timo! Er zijn zo veel Duitsers die denken precies ander om! Wat denk je over het Vlaams in tegenstelling tot het ABN?

Groetjes!:smilewave

14. Aquilo

I like German (I like their poetic words) and English (It's versatile and simple).
    I don't like Chinese (It sounds a bit agressive and I don't like tone languages)

I speak Dutch myselves and I like the Flemish dialect (It sounds cute) and Afrikaans (they have funny words)

15. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

Yes! I love how the Georgian alphabet looks too! The Armenian just looks like 'w's, though :/.

I forgot another language I can't stand: Hebrew. It sounds so guttural and weird. No offense to any Jews or Israelis!

---------- Post added 24th Jul 2012 at 01:23 PM ----------

I don't like the Spanish spoken in the Americas, but I think the Spanish of Spain sounds really nice. Catalan is interesting too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

#15 Rob999, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  16. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always found Italian incredibly sexy. So much so that I was attempting to learn it myself until recently.

As for least favorite, I think English isn't too hot. That may be because I'm around it all day though. That doesn't mean I don't like it, because I love speaking, writing, and even thinking in English... It just isn't as beautiful as others.

#16 Black Cat, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  17. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have to disagree, you definitely do not hear japanese commonly spoken in sydney, there are almost no japanese people at all. Brisbane and the gold coast are different, there are plenty of japanese speakers there, but much to my disappointment it's almost impossible to find a japanese person with whom to practice conversation in sydney =(

18. Hiems

I love Latin. I studied it during high school and picked it up easily. Although my Latin is rusty, since I haven't studied it for awhile, I still remember some of it. It's nice when I see a word whose meaning I can decipher just from Latin roots.

I dislike Vietnamese. I can't tell you how many times dialect + different accents of other Vietnamese people have been barriers to me understanding what they say. It also does not help that I'm not fluent in Vietnamese (English is my native language). >_<

19. timo

Ik houd van 't Vlaams! Ik woon op 15 minuten rijden van de Belgische grens, dus ik ga zelf redelijk vaak naar bijv. Antwerpen en er komen hier in de stad flink wat Vlamingen langs, en elke keer weer vind ik 't een geweldige taal om te horen.
    Het is in ieder geval een héél stuk beter dan 't Brabantse dialect... dat klinkt ook allemaal zo hard.

(sorry everyone else, hope you don't mind the Dutch :slight_smile: )

Yeah the Armenian is a lot less interesting looking :frowning2:

20. JackWin

My favorites would have to be German and Russian. I just love the way both of them sound, and plus I can speak both of them. I do not really care much for Chinese or Japanese. Really don't like how confusing they can be.