1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you really not love someone anymore because of not being able to be with them?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ryanninjasheep, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ryanninjasheep

My friend (Ill call him "W") 's girlfriend broke up with him a while ago

Well anyways, on to the point, one day another friend ("M") and W and myself were hanging out and M asked who W had a crush on and I assumed it would be his ex, but he said nobody

When I asked him why not his ex he said that he couldnt be with her so he didnt love her

Basically what I'm wondering is how do you feel about exes or unnatainable crushes and if you dont love them why

2. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

Re: Can you really not love someone anymore because of not being able to be with them

Well, for exes, I guess, I'll always have that tiny bit of love for them still, but it's not enough to say I would still have a crush on them or anything. I don't think love fully goes away, but you get over it and move on, and I guess that's what W is trying to do. I'm sure he still has a tiny bit of feelings for his ex, but, it's not like he can have her again, which is why he said he doesn't have a crush. I guess I would be the same way, I mean, feelings are still there, just not very strong, and that's because I know that I'm not going to go back into a relationship with my exes, therefore, why bother. It's more of why bother loving someone if they don't want you anymore, or you don't want them anymore. And for crushes that I know I can't be with, that applies even more, why chase after a person who doesn't even love you back. So, this would be the reason why, because there's no point in chasing after a person or trying so hard and putting so much effort towards them if they don't feel the same.

3. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Can you really not love someone anymore because of not being able to be with them

I've loved someone unrequitedly for 7 years...doesn't change how I feel about her. It just hurts like hell, but I love her more than anything.

4. ok455

I never really been in a relationship before so i can't speak for it.

But for hopeless Crushes i can usually talk my self out of liking them. I recently had a crush on a gay guy at my job, honestly he was perfect for me talkative,was cute,good job,etc but he had a boyfriend and i would of been hurt at the end obsessing over a guy that had a boyfriend.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Personally my brain doesn't "allow" me to fall in love or even have a strong crush on someone if I know for sure there is 0 chance of us ever being together. I simply shrug it off and that's that.

Same thing makes me unfriend exes as soon as I brake up with them. My friends say its cold of me, but I just simply don't care to be friends with exes that I don't care for. I am still on speaking terms with a couple, though.

6. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

While I think it is frequently possible to stop feelings from developing if you catch them early enough, I doubt that not being able to be with someone does much to make you stop loving them if you already do -- at least, not by itself. A side effect of it is usually that you aren't around them very much, and lack of contact eventually destroys all but the strongest feelings. There are also sometimes hurt feelings associated with finding out that you can't be with them (e.g. a gay guy learns that his boyfriend is married by accidentally answering a phone call from the latter's wife), which can certainly go a long way toward reducing your feelings for them.