1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you religious?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SohoDreamer, Jul 26, 2012.

1. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just wondering how many people here are religious. It would be interesting to know due to all the persecution against non-heterosexuality in many religions. Does this deter most of you or...?

As for me, I'm kind of agnostic atheist I guess. I just believe we can't know and anyone who claims they know for a fact that there is or is not a god are deluding themselves.

2. Snowy

Snowy Guest

I'm an atheist, I wasn't really taught religion even though both of my parents are Christian.

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After a fashion...

I have very strong faith that there is a force greater than us at work with a purpose for everything that happens. But I don't go to church or read religious texts of any persuasion.

Oftentimes when asked I simply go with "I believe in everything." Because I do. :slight_smile:

4. Zontar

5. Naren

I used to be a semi-serious christian, but then I started seeing all the holes in the religiosity. I won't go into detail because rants take too long, but I started looking into "alternative" faiths. And I'm a Satanist now, and still looking for the answers. Yes yes I know I'm going to hell, but I'm bi anyway; so where's the difference? That's just me.

EDIT: Religiosity is supposed to be religion. I found it too epic to remove.

#5 Naren, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised Christian and I guess I would still identify as that, just quite a bit more distant from it than when I was younger. I haven't been to church since I was a young teen. I don't really care for organized religion that much anymore with all the negativity they generally have towards us. You can still be gay and have a relationship with God if that is what you desire. He's not gonna turn away or love any less for being gay. It's just some of his blindly ignorant followers that cast a bad light on religion. I think as long as you and God have an understanding then that's all that matters. Btw, I use the term 'you' as a general term, not specific. I will admit I definitely question it at times, but for those who are religious in any way, who doesn't?

7. Lin123

I recommend that you read "Profits of Religion" by Upton Sinclair. It can be downloaded for free from The Profits of Religion, Fifth Edition by Upton Sinclair - Project Gutenberg. (Totally Legal too.)

There is a difference between faith and religion. Religion is a tool created by men to either to try and access god or use men. Don't be used, but use religion as you need too. Also, please read Justin's views of the current mis-interpretaion of the Bible regarding homosexuality at Homosexuality and Christianity: Does God bless same-sex marriage?.

Both of these readings have helped me come to terms with being a gay Christian. As an in the closet lesbian I can sympathize with your confusion. I truly believe though, that God is real and He loves us all. And if He can't love me the way He made me or allowed me to become, then He isn't worth worrying about.

8. King

King Guest

I'm an apatheist, but lately I've been talking to a Jehovah's Witness about her religion. It's very interesting, to say the least...

King x

9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R66r_XMoDkk[/YOUTUBE]

Or if I were to not be lazy I'd try to explain what "Theological Non-Cognitivist" means, which is the more technically correct label for my religious beliefs.

Edit: Oh and I was irreligious long before I realized a bunch of Christians didn't like the fact that I thought of other boys in a romantic way. As long back as I can remember conceptualizing how silly I thought anthropomorphic versions of the Christian "God" were.

#9 Browncoat, Jul 26, 2012
  10. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, not at all and I can't say I have much interest to be.

11. WALK2222

Raised, and known as Christian. Secretly Agnostic/Athiest. Religion confuses me..

12. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I'm not religious, I would consider myself Agnostic. I'm open minded to religion, in a sense that, I would go to a church, mosque, synagogue, etc. to explore each religion, but when it comes down to it, I don't believe in a God, but not to the point where I turn down everyone because they're religious. I think religion is interesting, how certain people believe in different things, but, I just don't believe it.

13. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am confused at the moment but I was born Christian.

14. Brenny

I'm Christian and I fully believe everything I have been taught. However being gay doesn't mesh so well with that so for that reason I've never really taken any initiative to... uhhh... do gay things or put effort to make gay friends. Safe to say I'm confused about what I wanna do.

#14 Brenny, Jul 26, 2012
  15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I go to church when I am home (mainly because I want to see some of my friends) but I really am not that religious anymore. I enjoy studying religions, but I do not consider myself religious anymore.

16. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I think jesus is groovy, so I guess I'm christian.

17. ultrabluecheese

I'm atheist by technicality. That is, I believe in nothing so that, therefore, makes me atheist, but I don't necessarily choose to be atheist—if that makes sense, lol.

I was raised in a dual religion household; my dad is Buddhist while my mama is Catholic. I've been exposed to both—though not very extensively—and my parents pretty much let me decide which religion is best for me. Ultimately, I decided that organized religion isn't for me, and they're OK with it. At times, though, my mama tries to goad me into going to mass with her, but to no avail. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No. I don't really care about religion. Luckily, my parents are pretty much the same way.

19. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I am an atheist, so no. Like a lot of other people, my religious views don't have much to do with my orientation; I was an atheist long before I even considered the fact that I might be a lesbian (or bi).

20. castle walls

A thread similar to this was created recently. You may wish to look through there as well.

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/63426-religious-gay.html

I'm a Christian myself and my church is perfectly okay with my sexuality. Then again, my pastor is gay

If you don't mind me asking, what type of Satanist are you? I've heard that there is basically Theistic Satanism and Atheistic Satanism and everything else falls under one of those two categories, is that correct?

I'm asking because I want to learn about other belief systems, especially Satanism and Buddhism. Random, I know :lol: