1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working out.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fumi, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Does anybody else hate working out? I do. I get tired and bored and just don't like it. I'd like to say I do it to stay healthy, but the truth is, I do it mostly out of vanity. Not even listening to music helps.
    Now, it's not like someone is making me do it against my will or something, but I don't have many options, since I have a very irregular and hectic schedule (college+job+student council+school newspaper = :bang:slight_smile:, and joining a club or singing up for kickboxing classes or whatever would be really hard. And don't mention jogging, because I hate it even more.:eusa_doh:
    What gets me through my workout time are two things: reading (I hop on an exercise bike, open up the Kindle app on my iPhone and read an eBook) and...well...the eye candy. :icon_redf
    Ok, this turned out whinier that I thought, so I'm gonna stop here.
    Does anybody else feel like this? Or am I the laziest person in the world? What do you do to exercise?

2. Flow

LOL I'm the complete opposite. I love working out. Matter of fact, I'm about to head to the gym lol.

You just have to find something that really motivates you. For me, I just want to do it because well.. Lets just say I use to be extremely overweight.. After my struggle to lose that excess weight, I found my love for working out.

My work out regiment is pretty straight forward. Mondays - shoulders, Tuesday - back, Weds - intense cardio day or rest day(I always choose the rest day lol), Thursday - chest and friday is leg day. I try to squeeze in as much cardio as I can. I prefer doing cardio over everything else though lol.

Just keep doing it! Ever thought about finding some buddies to go to the gym with? I usually go with 1 or 2 people, but on days where I don't need a spotter, I'd rather go alone. Don't give up, you'll find the motivation!

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I personally don't like it at all. It not something that I enjoy doing.

The only reason I started jogging (I'm doing the couch to 5k program...yes, I'm that out of shape :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) is to be able to get out of this freaking limbo of being between a small and a medium. Agh, its making shopping so annoying! Medium shirts are too big and smalls are too tight.

After I get back to wearing a size small, then I just plan to keep myself there. I don't really care for being toned or super muscular.

4. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Working out? What's that? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. heaven

I am just like you except i get excited for a couple of days then i give up then like 2 weeks later i feel like a fat ass and the cycle continous!

6. FJ Cruiser

Find a workout partner. It seriously makes all the difference. I like running and cycling a lot on my own since there are many interesting and pretty trails. But when it comes to weight training, I need to bring a friend otherwise I just get intimidated, disoriented, and unmotivated.

7. ultrabluecheese

Personally, I hate working out, and I hate the gym because I don't think I should be paying for a gym membership if all I do is run. Anyhow, I try to do 30-40 minutes (usually 30, :lol:...) of cardio every day just so that I do something for my overall health. I won't lie, though. I am a little invested in the aesthetic results of exercise, but I'm honestly more concerned with the health aspect. And to be honest, I feel like just thinking about my health is, in itself, a motivator for me.

I'm kind of a loner, so I like to jog by myself. I dislike having to change my pace when I'm running with a partner; whether it's going slower or faster, it's a nuisance. I also avoid listening to music while jogging because I tend to change my running speed in accordance with the tempo of the song, and I usually only listen to slow songs, lol...

8. KeanusGuitarus

East Australia, in NSW, quite a while from Sydney.
    Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I do not like working out per se but I do like riding my bike. I just find it enjoyable, going out with family and friends and riding around the bike track, it is also a good time to think about things by yourself. But I do not do it to keep fit haha.

9. prism

I actually really like working out, once I get into the habit of it. However, getting to that point SUUUUCKS.

You could try finding someone else to work out with. If I didn't like listening to music, I would find a partner to help me exercise. It's fun to coach and be coached, especially when you're being pushed during those last few reps. I'm also really competitive, so working out with another person gives me that extra push.

10. secretguyX

I mostly love working out. Since softball ended (used to be my daily work out) I've been planning on starting to work out. But, I, umm... get distracted and bored rather easily... so I have to find something that I'll be able to continue doing. I hate doing certain exercise, such as running (I like tredmills, but mine's broken) and pushups, cause for some reason I can't do one. But I love exercise equipment at like gyms. I might go to the one at my school when I go back, but I'll have to find a work out buddy...

11. Hiems

I like working out... I'm about to go jogging now actually. I'm also doing the C25K program, which provides MP3 podcasts with running/walking intervals. It has helped build my mental and physical endurance. My impetus for doing it is to get in shape. I pretty much have no hand-eye coordination, so sports are out of the question for me. I've tried weightlifting, but I gave up. Running indoors works for some, but not for others. I'm in the latter category, since I would be missing out on the sun/fresh air.

Perhaps you dislike working out due to lack of variety? Have you tried using other machines apart from the exercise bike? Maybe you can vary machine usage to make working out less monotonous. You could even listen to music on one day and read an eBook on other days.

12. BudderMC

I feel like the gym can be a really draining place if you don't want to exercise. So get outside more. You don't like jogging, but you could bike, rollerblade, swim, whatever. Even picking up a bike and using that to travel (vs. bus/car/etc.) is good exercise and much cheaper. You get some fresh air and potential for nice scenery. Not to mention if you make exercise just a part of your day, then it becomes less of a "chore" to have to go specifically "exercise".

(plus personally I like the "wind in your face" feeling you wouldn't get at the gym)

13. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go jogging a couple of times a week. I can't afford a gym membership.

14. GayJay

I hate working out! I get so bored, i don't even tire out quickly but i always look at the time on the treadmill or whatever and think 'wow, i have only been on here 15 minutes' boredddd! then get off.
    But i still go the gym at least 2 times a week. Its the feeling that looking more built up will make me look more masculine and i will have more chance of passing as a guy in public. And i have got such as naturally feminine figure so i have to work so hard in the gym. That's the only reason i do it but personally i hate it.

---------- Post added 27th Jul 2012 at 07:02 PM ----------

I hate it! its so boring.
    In the gym i look at the machine and think 'wow have i only been on this for 10 minutes. Borrreeddd!' and get off. And i don't even tire out that quick i just give up though being bored.
    But i still go the gym at least 2 times a week. Only because i have a naturally feminine body and i want to build my body up a little so i can pass as a guy better in public.
    Only reason i go.

15. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I hate working out too. I'm a total yo-yo excersizer. Few weeks here, then nothing for a month, then a few days there, then nothing for a month and week. :lol:

This summer I completely stopped for the whole month of July and it felt good mentally not having that nagging obligation to drag my ass into a routine I clearly was not interested in. Working out is so boring and music really doesn't help either. I would rather be watching tv, writing, or reading fanfiction, honestly. All things I can do sitting on my ass. :lol: I'm ready to pick up my fat nerd card and call it a day.

I don't like gyms because I don't like people and I don't like working out with other people around. It's umcomfortable. Working out at home is difficult with my schedule (school and work). Also my diet and sleep habits are horrible. I hardly sleep most nights out of the week. I walk around running on less than 5--sometimes 3--hours of sleep. I'm at school from morning to late evening and I usually don't eat the whole time or I'll grab some chips, crackers, and water, maybe a bag of cookies. Then the real hunger doesn't hit me until later at night like at 3, 4 in the morning. Since I'm not sleeping, I realize I haven't eaten much and then binge until I waddle (that's how full I feel.) I get heart burn like mad almost every morning some weeks, I don't have regular bowel movements, I get headaches, I sleep from 7 in the morning to 7 in the evening (on days I don't have school or work) and still wake up feeling sick, ugh...It's just all bad. I want to be into working out and all that health nut shit, so that I can look good, so I have this expectation that if I do these intense workout regimes I'll look like the people on the workout videos and when that doesn't happen after three weeks, I get discouraged. I figure this is too much pain, I'm tired and busy, and nothing's happening, I'm never going to look like them, so fuck this anyway.

I will admit I do need to start doing something about my health. Not really work out as a main priority. I mean I aint gonna be giving a raving review of Insanity any time soon, but at least sleep better and eat better. I'm 19 years old for fuck's sake, but when I talk about how I take care of myself, I sound like Louis C.K. Ultimately once I start doing those things, the looking good will just fall into place.

I don't think working out will ever be something I can get into for fun. It will never be my idea of a recreational activity. I'm a writer, not an athlete. A recreational activity for me is reading or when I want to do something a little more active, watching television. One day, though, I will have enough discipline to make myself stick with it for longer than a few weeks.

16. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoy working out when I have time. I did a massive hard core work out for 90 days and loved it. I've lacked a bit of late due to crazy work schedule but that feeling you get after working out, being hungry because you've earned it, it feels great

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to hate working out, and then I picked up fencing. That has motivated me to work out. So do you like any sports???

18. Peanuts

Running is so incredibly boring that it's hard to make it fun. What I do is cycle. It's one of my favorite things to do. It's good cardio and it's not as bad on the knees as jogging is. The best cardio is swimming, but since I don't have a car, pools/beaches are not as accessible to me.

As far as gyms go, I've been really wanting a gym membership because I want to tone my body. I have to wait until I can drive since my gym is a notable distance away.

19. timo

I hate working out, and I'm way too lazy to do it. Plus I get enough physical exercise when riding my bike (which is, on average, half an hour per day).

20. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like working out in a gym. I get bored and treadmills hurt my knees. I do it if it's my only option. But I do enjoy exercising outside a lot (if it's not too hot).

I found that I stick with exercising better if I actually enjoy what I'm doing. I like to go on walks, rollerblade, jog, play ultimate frisbee, or play other sports like basketball or tennis. I also like to ice skate. Or ride bikes if it's not too hilly. Swimming too. I've been slacking lately and doing pretty much nothing but eating and sitting around..but I do feel much better when I stay active.