1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's a choice.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KeanusGuitarus, Jul 28, 2012.

1. KeanusGuitarus

East Australia, in NSW, quite a while from Sydney.
    Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    [Please note that this thread uses satire, and not all of it should be taken seriously.]

One of my friends mentioned in maths how homosexuality is disgusting to them. Me and my bi friend (who sit right next to her) are both laughing and she says "You know he is gay". We continue talking for a while about how she "doesn't see it" and stuff like that and I say "It's not like I chose to be gay. Homosexuality isn't a choice.". She replies with "It sort of is".

So I looked back in my life and fair enough, I did choose to be gay, and for these reasons:

1. I wanted to have multiple groups against me, discriminating me and telling me that I would be going to hell for the horrible crimes of nature I was committing.

2. I wanted to be a societal reject, and subsequently be open to physical and emotional harm.

3. I wanted to risk losing friends and family, as well as lose chances in getting a healthy education, a well paying job and a safe retirement.

4. To be told that I have no right to be in an emotional relationship, because I have no capabilities of these feelings, and because of the lack of these feelings, should not have the ability to wed.

5. To have less rights everywhere I go, be disallowed in things such as scouts and other private organisations, and to not be allowed back in a church until my soul is free from its demons.

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2012 at 10:39 PM ----------

[Disclaimer: My points are made to prove that it is not a choice. Sorry for any misunderstanding.]

2. iBlakexo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I use almost those exacts points as comebacks to people who say its a choice. It is so true, why would someone chose to live a disadvantaged lifestyle?

3. Level75

Need better friends.

4. Waffles

Wow... wait, we aren't allowed to go back into the church until our soul is free of demons?
    I've been doing it wrong this entire time... whoops. XD

But I agree with all these points. Because CLEARLY people in their right mind would willingly choose to live a life of discrimination and hate. (=A= ) COMMON PEOPLE, USE YOUR BRAIN HERE!

5. KeanusGuitarus

East Australia, in NSW, quite a while from Sydney.
    Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    We aren't really friends any more.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is a choice. Sort of.

I didn't choose to BE gay. That's part of my wiring. But I chose to LIVE gay. I chose to not hide all those small hints and suggestions. I chose not to force myself to not cross my legs when I sit down. I chose to let myself do that weird wrist flourish when I point at something. I chose to not be embarrassed when my laugh ramps up into a giggle.

And I chose to not pretend to be straight. To not pretend to ogle hot girls when I really wanted to ogle their boyfriends. To not fake-date a woman and pretend I was too gentlemanly to want to have sex with her. To not insist that guy I was with last night was "just a friend". To not introduce the guy I sleep with every night as "my roommate".

But I think it was the obvious choice. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL sorry but I'm a firm believer in biology. (there was a reason I took all A.P classes last year!) it is part of our wiring. Everyone has a percent chance of becoming gay in both male and female. that percent chance can go up by factors such as having a(n) older brother(s), being a twin, and a really big one the absences or presence of testosterone. (just some of many but still simple stuff!)some scientists believe your gene pool also has a say in everything. Idk if that's true so I'll have to do a little more digging in to it. so for now: not a choice!

8. SkyDiver

If I ever hear someone say that it's a choice, I say, "Okay, then. Prove it. CHOOSE to be gay. Right now." And they're always like.. "Uggghgh....errrmmm....akekjkagada....."

It's because too many people confuse actually being gay with having gay sex. Drives me insaaaaaane.

9. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I use these reasons when people tell me being gay is a choice all the time. Glad you posted:slight_smile:

10. IllusiveRannoch

damn, that's brilliant Lex. :eusa_clap new perspective: gained :bulb:

11. Mogget

Time for Mogget Rant #22

I hate, hate, hate arguing that being gay is not a choice. Why? Because it doesn't actually mean anything. Things are not good or bad based on whether they were chosen. For example, I can choose to be a vegetarian, and this has no impact on the morality of being one; likewise I cannot choose not to have a violent temper, but this does not make it okay for me to throw temper tantrums in public.

And the homophobes know this. Oh sure, they like arguing that being gay is a choice, but what they mean by that isn't what you mean (for the most part). What they mean is what Lex means, that acting on our homosexuality is a choice. Most of them don't really give a damn if we feel what they consider sinful desires, as they have those too, all the time. Not the same ones, obviously, which makes it easier to condemn homosexuality than greed without offending the congregation, but the point is the same.

The Catholic and Mormon Churches have held this view for some time, and the evangelical churches are increasingly adopting it, too.

More importantly, when we argue that being gay isn't a choice, we're implicitly arguing something else: if being gay were a choice, it would be an immoral one. That we should be looking for a cure. That if we could screen homosexuality in the womb that it would be a good idea to abort embryos that have it.

So, what should we be arguing? That being, and living, gay isn't immoral. "Choice" is a red herring. Living a gay life isn't immoral because it doesn't harm myself or others and because it's an expression of self-love and allows me to express love for others.

12. allyson

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not choose to be transgendered,I felt it at an early age and it was in my brain.I admit I am proud of being transgendered.I felt I always was truely female.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just to add to this, I would also point out that if being and living gay is not a choice, then those who hate us will simply view us as people with disabilities, and they will hold out for a "cure," as if there's a need to cure homosexuality any more than left-handedness.

14. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, this is basically what I've come to. The whole "choice" argument is just a distraction to the main point, if it were a choice there would still be nothing wrong with it. It's mostly just frustrating I think, when someone tells us what we feel doesn't exist.

15. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I've never had anyone say this to me before, but if they did, I already know what I'm going to say. I'm going to say, "You're right. I'm just in it for the fashion." There's no point arguing with them. If they're, you know, old enough to follow one logical thought to the next and don't live under a rock somewhere and they haven't seen the light by now, then they probably never will.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try not to associate with anybody who would say such things in the first place, but I agree with Mogget. I now tell people that I can choose to do whatever I want as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

17. heaven

I must ask when did homosexuality become so discriminated! First of all if you look back in time theyr have been many homos! EX: Alexander the great, Spartans, etc. They had children with woman but just to pass on the genes while they were sexually active with other males! (sry for off the main point opinion)

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Attitudes towards homosexuality have been complicated throughout history. In Alexander's time, stigma did not attach to the male penetrating partner; it did attach to the receptive partner through. The whole "it's not gay if I'm pitching" attitude has been repeated elsewhere in the world in various periods. The spread of religions have also had an impact. Suffice to say, people have discriminated against queers for a very long time.

19. heaven

They were gay pretty much but blamed the other guys, so shameful.:eusa_naug

20. BornThisway44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yawn this argument is overdone. The basic answer is sexual attraction is natural. Atrraction is something that happens naturaly otherwise it would be called force which is the opposite of attraction. Your attracted to somebody not forced to them. Weather or not you choose to have sex with a man in my case or have a relationship with them is a choice. However your desires love and compassion for the opposite sex are not. I know damn well im not forcing my self to be with a woman and im not spending my life alone so while i dont choose to be gay i choose to enter relationships with men becuase i can. I wont forget the argument i had with a christian lady in my school. I climbed up on my chair so everyone could here and said if i want to have a bf then i will if i want to date them then i will if i want to go into my bedroom and give my bf a bj then i will if i want to have anal sex with my bf then i will if i want to love and care for my bf for the rest of my life i will and fuck anybody who doesnt like it. Lol maybe i went to far but people piss me off with this. it pisses me off when i KNOW im deserving of being treated like a normal person but have to fight to get it. But guess what people before me had far less respect and support women and blacks they fought for there spot and got it dammit ill fight for mines nobody will take my spot from me i will be treated equally the easy way or the hard way let the brawl begin. Also if any guy ever told me he chooses to like women i would tell him he was gay becuase attraction is not chosen it happens all on its own hence the definition so any gay haters ask them if they chose if they say yes they are gay.