1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda nervous for first sleep away camp :[

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WALK2222, Jul 28, 2012.

1. WALK2222

Hi guys, I am currently pretty nervous about my first sleep away camp, which is tomorrow. It is an ITT Tech camp where you learn the scripting language Javascript. It is a pretty laid back camp, you get to use your phone, sleep in dorms, etc. But I am a little nervous. I have always been kind of nervous staying at places away from home without family (whether if it was sleepovers, overnights with other family, etc). I think the reason is that I wouldn't and would be scared if something happened. (I don't have a traumatic backstory to this, just always has been something for me). I am ready to go, and I am leaving the house at 5:00 PM tomorrow. I don't know why I am paranoid of camp, it sounds fun, laid back, and very interesting. Anyway, I'd just like some advice, to.. well.. I don't know. Keep my paranoia down a little bit. I have heard from all my family that it is great and I will love it. I guess I'm just not so excited about new experiences as others are :icon_sad:

Extra info: I do bring tums (anti-acid pills) because I tend to get an upset stomach when nervous
    am bringing my smart phone (iPhone 4S)
    The camp is an hour away from home
    It is in a college

Thanks for the support guys :confused:

2. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

For me, sleep away camp became my favorite place in the world. I started when I was either 10 or 11 and was very shy and worried I wouldn't make any friends. Once you get there though, it's all kids your age who feel the same way and are just looking to have fun. On top of that they all have similar interests to you and there are no parents there, so you have much more freedom. Once you start having fun and making friends you'll completely forget about all the homesickness.

Have Fun!

3. WALK2222

Thanks run, that makes me feel better. I have no idea why, but I always get this antsy feeling whenever I go on trips (whether its just to a relatives house, or visiting a friend out of town) It may be my small-not-shown shyness of me, or the fact that I don't like separation out of my comfort zone (my home).

4. NickD

I know exactly how you feel. I always felt so scared when I would sleep away from home ( even if it was at a friends house a mile away). But in hindsight, the buildup was the worst part. Once you get there, you will have a great time. And even though it's hard, you have the things that make you feel comfortable right, like your iPhone 4s and the Tums? You have all the tools you need to enjoy yourself, learn something, and combat any unnecessary worry. Good luck my friend!

5. WALK2222

Thanks nick, :slight_smile: yes I guess your right, I use my phone as a kind of comfort, device at times. It is really nice to use if stressed out :slight_smile:. But Im glad that there are others who understand how I am feeling right now. I'll be looking at this thread tomorrow night when I'm in bed at camp :slight_smile: