1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Batman is like being a preacher's kid

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NoPlanB, Jul 28, 2012.

1. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I posted this on Facebook earlier tonight. It's written from the perspective of someone who's grown up in the church and seen terrible things, but also experienced great joy. It's kind of depressing (and written from a Christian perspective), but I felt like I needed to vent a little. Here goes.

WHY BATMAN IS LIKE BEING A PREACHER'S KID:

"You don't owe these people anymore. You've given them everything."
    "Not everything, not yet."

All you wanted was to help and do what's right. What seemed like a simple goal quickly becomes convoluted and bogged down by the politics of life. Your simple innocence can be shattered in one moment of betrayal and hatred. In an instant everything you had can be taken away from you by the ones you trusted the most.

You can give people every bit of energy you have and sacrifice everything for them, and then in one day they can throw it all back in your face. There's no loyalty from them, but still you continue to give and give until you can't give anything else. And still you die thankless and alone.

It's hard not to be hurt, angry and bitter when people don't appreciate you, when they send the dogs after you. But then you realize that you're the hero these people deserve, not the one they need. And as you watch those you love around you fall pray to the "Jokers" and "Two-Faces" in your life, you want to hole up in your mansion for eight years, never wanting to come out and talk to anyone. But there's no rest, and once again trouble and reality forces you out into the field. And even though you know you're going to be hurt again, you realize that you still have more to give. And you understand that there's no greater sacrifice than laying down your life for the people who have spit upon you and turned their backs to you. It's a depressing thought, but you accept this fate, and even as the time ticks away to your demise you know you've made the right choice. You've sacrificed, and there's no greater gift than that.

Thankfully I have a Savior who was an amazing example of this. He gave his life (there's no greater sacrifice than that) and yet people choose to ignore this gift, going as far as to spit on his very existence. I want to thank Jesus and Batman for giving me the strength to continue; the strength to move on.

I also wanted to point out that there are people who will come alongside you and stand with you no matter what (your own personal Jim Gordon or Alfred Pennyworth) and these people can restore your faith in humanity. It's the little things that mean the most; the ones that will back you even when the entire city is out to get you. These people contrast against the blackness of everyday life so sharply that you will appreciate them that much more. Words cannot describe how much these people mean to me. They are incredible, and every day I thank God for placing them in my life. Thank you for never forsaking us even in the most trying of circumstances, and never allowing us to lose our hope. You mean the world to me.

NOTE: This isn't meant to inspire a religious argument. I just needed to get this off my chest.