1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reclaiming the word 'Queer'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gumtree, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Gumtree

In the past few years I've dived into the deep end of activism and politics in Australia, and am still coming to terms with a lot of the vernacular of this community.

In the super PC (Politically Correct) world of activism, most predominantly based in Universities, the term 'Queer' has been the fundamental term when referring to the GBLTIG-Q community.

I assume most of you would be aware that the 'Queer' term was, until recently, a colloquialised insult used my mainstream society.

So I am curious; how do you feel about people using the term Queer to identify you? Has it been successfully reclaimed? Do you find it an insult/derogatory slang or do you use is as an inclusive term for the overall non cis-heteronormative community?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I identify as queer myself, and I use it as an umbrella term. Mostly it's just because people hate the alphabet soup.

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never liked the word queer. I don't agree with reclaiming negative words in general and queer just doesn't feel right for me. In my opinion it's a word that was used in a derogatory manner that cannot ever be fully reclaimed. I honestly don't see the point in reclaiming words that were used against us. Like queer, fag, dyke and other terms. Out of those three I find queer the least offensive but still I dislike it.

If an LGBT person wants to identify as queer, that's totally okay with me. But I personally don't want to identify as queer or be called queer. I am not insulted if an LGBT person calls us queer because I know they have good intentions. I prefer using LGBT. I don't mind adding more letters to be more inclusive. Even if it's LGBTPA etc etc. I never want to be forced into a label I dislike.

#3 midwestgirl89, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  4. Gumtree

Additionally, something I'm even MORE curious about getting an international perspective on is, is the inclusion of 'Polyamory' into the Queer umbrella.

The polyamorist movement in Australia is one that is occurring almost exclusively in the queer community and has thus been shoved into the same category. But there is a lot of controversy out there as to whether or not relationship types constitute a 'queer identity'.

Here's a copy and paste of a popular definition of polyamory at the moment.

Polyamory:
    (from Greek πολύ [poly, meaning many or several] and Latin amor [love])

In its most basic form, it is defined as honest consensual non-monogamy. While some decline to allow that Swinging is part of PolyAmory, the basic definition still applies. You will find, though, that there are as many definitions of PolyAmory as there are people practicing it. PolyAmory must have as a basic more than 2 people in the relationship. Not all participants need be involved with every other participant, nor is co-housing a requirement

5. ANightDude

I'm with this. I've always hated the word. When people identify as it... of course, it's fine to do it and no offense to any of them, but I personally don't care for them. Since it was once a negative word, using it upon yourself just seems a bit negative and, to the outside non-LGBT world, it just sounds negative too. I don't know, really. It just sounds off.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Around my area "queer" pretty much already caught on. From what I get most people either don't care about the history of the word or don't know it. The only reason they like using it is because is the only word/label that is able to describe a whole group of people. Its easier to say than LGBT (or any other letters that you want to add) or easier than even saying "not straight".

I personally don't really care either way. By this point you can call me whatever you want as long as you don't mean to insult me and I don't really care.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

In my area, if someone used "queer" in a genuinely insulting way, even their homophobic friends would laugh at them. It has pretty much been successfully reclaimed around here, at least in the circles I frequent, so I've no problem with people using it; it's more inclusive than GLBT and more widely known than GSM (gender and sexual minorities).

8. Mogget

I like the idea of reclaiming queer, but more as an umbrella term than a personal identity. I'm not a fan of bringing the polyamory and BDSM communities into the umbrella, although I think the case can be made more easily for the former than the latter.

9. Cascade

I still wish the primary use of the word queer was to mean odd. It was a great word to use but now there's a whole social taboo around it that will never vanish.

10. Lark

Lark Guest

I have mixed feelings about the word 'queer'. It's good to use as an umberella term for LGBTet.c. but I prefer just saying 'not straight' myself.

11. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

This^^

12. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I sometimes identify as queer. It's easier than trying to explain where I'm at with figuring out my orientation. I also agree with several other posters about its usefulness as an umbrella term.

As for including polyamory and BDSM, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I can see arguments both for and against it.

13. Delta

Queer isn't popular or an insult in my area. It's just a word.

I personally think it's a bit of a junk identity, because you're identifying yourself as "not normal". Great. By having that for your main identity, you haven't found out much about yourself, or told people anything about yourself, so why even tell

However, if you want to talk about queer people, to refer to all GLBTWTFBBQ people inclusively, that's fine. :slight_smile:

I don't know about BDSM and polyamory myself. I think it's case by case. Swingers, no. But people who have strong, committed relationships with multiple people, yes. I think it really is contingent on how big a part of your identity and life it is. If it's something you find a big, important part of you, you should get a letter and fall under the queer labels.

14. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Personally, it's an antagonistic word. The homophobes in my year yell abuse at me, and one of the primary words they use is "queer". So.. Yeah. I don't like it.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't mind the word queer. In my area, it has been mostly reclaimed.

Most people use other words in my area when trying to insult LGBT people.