1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my first PRIDE (well, the first one where *I* was out of the closet for it)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

so, there's this community. it's really vibrant and diverse. it has a lot happening, it's interesting, it's exciting... and best of all, the only thing I have to do in order to belong to it is be myself!! no editing necessary!

Needless to say, London (Ontario) PRIDE was about as awesome as awesome gets. I don't know, maybe it was the wearing a rainbow flag as a skirt and feeling like I fit right in. Maybe it was that no one gave me weird looks when I got caught checking out girls - instead, I just got teased about my attempt at an opening line ("I like your dress!" was responded to with "You look like you like more than her dress!" and it made me feel totally normal in a wonderful way). Maybe it was all the rainbow stuff being given away and being sold (I bought a necklace, a ring, a rubber pride bracelet and a button, all things I couldn't afford but hey - I stayed under $20 and came home with lots!!).

Whatever it was, guess what? I'm really glad I got to go to PRIDE, and I'm really grateful for having been there, I can't wait until the next time I get to go to PRIDE somewhere, I hope we can eventually organize having one in my own small conservative hometown, and one day when I have a partner and children I definitely plan to take my WHOLE family to such an inclusive and fun affair.

So I just wanted to say. Yes. Pride is awesome. The sunburn will either peel away or fade into a tan, the blisters on my feet from all that walking will disappear with time - but this free, relaxed, happy-to-be-me feeling? I hope it'll stay with me forever. :eusa_danc

2. JackWin

That is awesome to hear. Just this summer I was in Germany, and little did we know it was pride day there. Now while I am not out, I still did get to enjoy it and really have good time.

In center city Munich every story, restaurant, and shop were closed in order to close off the roads for this giant parade and celebration. It was literally the best time ever.

3. Caoimhe Fayre

I'm glad you got to experience a pride day, even if it was by accident. it really is a great feeling, isn't it? :slight_smile:

4. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wonderful! I hope I get to go to ours next year. :slight_smile:

5. Katelynn

I had soooo much fun too! That was an amazing Pride to go to, & my first as well! Needless to say, I will DEFINITELY be going back to London Pride next year too! :grin:

6. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww I'm happy for you! That sounds like so much fun :thumbsup: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:
    I'm looking forward to the day when I get the courage to come out and go to one of those myself.

7. orangecat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went to my very first pride (ever) this year and it was amazing. The atmosphere was like we were in a whole new world. It was so wonderful to feel accepted. When I was walking down the street holding hands with my boyfriend we were getting aww's from people other gay people our age to old straight couples! It was sad when it all ended though because the protestors all reclaimed their street and it was back to feeling like an outcast. Sigh. I will cherish those moments though and I can't wait to go again next year! Glad you had fun at yours! I live near the Canadian border so I'm very excited to go to World Pride in 2014!

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I glad that you had a good time. I recently went to my first pride celebration ever.. I had never been to one before. I had a great time. So, I'm glad to hear that you had a good time too!!

9. Katelynn

I had such a great time this past weekend at London Pride that Im making plans to go up to Windsor ON for Windsor Pride in August! Cant wait!!! And I used to live in Windsor, so I can catch up & come out to a few friends I havent seen in a while too, so should be fun & interesting all around...

10. dreamcatcher

Awesome!! I haven't been to pride yet but all these threads about how great it is are making me want to go!

11. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Awesome..glad to hear you guys enjoyed going to Pride :slight_smile:

---
    I went to my 1st Pride in June last year (and can say that the feeling of going for the 1st time is pretty cool), and went to my 2nd Pride last August.

Then I went again to in June of this year (I thought about going to one a couple weeks ago but it was a bit far..and I wasn't really comfortable going to the city its in alone)
    There's a Pride in September I'll probably go to (same place as last August)

------
    How common is it for someone to go to multiple pride's (and/or those not in the closest city/town) anyway? Do allot of people do that or is it uncommon?

12. IllusiveRannoch

hmmm, Pride actually sounds fun. might give it a shot one day.