1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing pronouns in songs.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Neutrality, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Neutrality

I find myself replacing refrences to women with male pronouns when I'm singing along with the raido without even thinking about it since I came out. Does anyone else do that? =P

2. Aldrick

Yeah, I do that sometimes too. :lol:

3. Mogget

4. AmblingSam

I do that in speech all the time! 0u0

5. BudderMC

I can't, just because it bothers me if I get the lyrics "wrong". But I've definitely thought about it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Mogget

But it's not just us. Lots of singers do it if they're covering love song written by someone of the opposite gender.

7. ANightDude

People tend to do that to the songs they sing just to make it work with their own lives better. So it makes sense.

But yeah, I do that all the time. Not usually when it's on the radio or anything, but when I'm alone and just thinking it over, sometimes I'll do it.

8. GingerGuy

I don't do it, I just feel like I'm being honest with the source material that way. However, I prefer love songs that never mention the gender of the beloved, which is great. Everyone can relate to them.

9. LSunday

It never really mattered to me, since the majority of the romance songs I like are either genderless or about a man. Although, there is one song that I change the meaning of 100% by removing a "you're" and filling in a "but" so it goes from a song where they broke up cause she cheated on him, and one where he realizes he's gay even though he still loves her.

10. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, but I used to a little when I thought I was straight.
    Sometimes I want it to be the opposite though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Before I came out, I didn't realize 'til I did it, I was singing karaoke not thinking about them and there were some female ones in there. DX Do straight people always do that or would it be suspicious? I didn't really think about it until it was too late and I try to start singing it to my cat.

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

99% of the time, lyrics are the last thing I listen to in a song. Even when I'm singing along, that, for me, is more about engaging with the music than it is about following the lyrics. I know this because I've sung along just as passionately to foreign-language songs whose lyrics I don't understand as I have to English-language songs. So no, I don't change the pronouns when I sing along.

12. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always do that...in my head! But sometimes it sounds awkward when it doesn't quite fit in: for example, replacing his/him with her/hers. It sounds more smooth when you replace he with she or vice versa when you're singing out loud haha.

I also find that I prefer songs sung by males because those will have the right pronouns for me. I hate it when there's a song I absolutely love by a female, but she's singing "he," "his," and "him" all throughout it! It kinda ruins it for me =/

13. ToTheCeilingFan

Totally! One of my pet peeves is when the end of a line ends with "man" or "boy" because then you can't switch it up without killing the rhyme scheme.

14. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

Most of the time, I don't need to change it because, I don't really listen to songs from the point of view of a straight girl, I listen to songs in the point of view of a straight guy, therefore, they talk about girls in their songs, so I don't need to change it. If I do listen to a song where they say "guy" "boy" and what not, yeah, I'd probably change it to girl.

15. Shevanel

I always thought it was rather silly to change lyrics in a song. It shouldn't matter really xD

16. JillandJill

I do that if I feel like singing about the woman I love, buuuut generally, as a singer, I try to mimick the tonation and rhythm and everything perfectly, including the words :0